The porthole conundrum

The Lockie

Featured Posts

I have seen a boat I really want to buy. The problem is it is all portholes and the boss hates them,she says they make the boat dark, I agreed but said a Houdini would lighten it up, she agreed!!, but said she wants windows to admire the scenery, and as we will be winter cruising said that it would still be dark in winter, I have to agree after all the boss is ALWAYS right.

The only solution I can come up with is to have the front 2 portholes on each side removed, window apertures cut and some nice big windows in the lounge and galley area.

Can see it being a major and expensive job, can Imagine that the internal linings would have to come out to allow the apertures to be cut and can see it turning into an expensive job!! Have you had this done?? If so any advice and an idea of the cost involved would be much aappreciated

To replace the portholes with windows is easy! Just take out the portholes, apply a cutting tool of some sort to cut oblong apertures, drill and tap some mounting holes and screw on the new windows.

Ah but, as you say, wharrabout the lining? That is a BIG DEAL! Unless the lining is such that you want to replace it anyway. Surely, with so many boats on the market, you could find an acceptable one, rather than buying an unacceptable one and trying to fix it?

I dare say you could probably cut the holes with the internal lining still in place, and also cut the internal lining down then use an appropriate trim piece to go over the internal lining. No idea on costs though, sorry.

If you've been looking around at boats for a while and its the only thing which doesn't "tick the box", then I'd go ahead. If there's other issues and the boat is not quite right, keep looking at others. Only you'll know when a boat is right for you, ie you really want it.

Try taking the gaffer to a boat with sidehatches, houdini's plus portholes.

Start calling big windows "buswindows", mentioning that if she can see out, the nosey buggers can see in, big windows = easily broken into and can be condensation issues.

Edited by mark99

You beat me too it. I was just about to say port lights offer more privacy.

I really don't like large bus windows in boats! Especially if moored in a busy spot, you feel like a goldfish in a bowl with people gawping at you. We often head into the cabin if we are moored in a busy spot.

Bigger windows --> more daylight gets in --> can go later into the evening before you need to turn internal lights on --> saves power.

Smaller windows less heat loss.

Smaller windows less condensation.

Smaller windows less chance if thief deciding to smash one to steal the LED TV!

• Greenie 1

Smaller windows less heat loss.

Smaller windows less condensation.

Smaller windows less chance if thief deciding to smash one to steal the LED TV!

Not just less heat loss, but the ability to completely Black out the porthole and at the same time insulate it with 2 inches of foam, so further more decreasing heat loss.

The security aspect is an excellent point too. But top of the list for us is privacy, It surprises me that many boats we see with bus windows are obscured by curtains drawn in the day and even blinds, losing any light benefit anyway. It's very difficult to see clearly in to portholes as well, so don't need to be obscured to attain privacy.

Bus windows and Goldfish bowl is a good analogy smile.png

ClockChimney-1.jpg

Edited by Julynian

how light a boat is inside is very important to some people, I originally designed for myself and it was fairly dim inside, which doesn't worry me but when I acquired "her indoors" it became a problem, as she found the dark interior depressing. I had a large skylight but it was fitted with fairly small windows, this was replaced with almost all glass and this went a long way towards solving the problem but I also had to add a lot of extra lighting as well.

Don't think it makes a lot of difference...my original had single glazed panes and was a big heat loss so when I had to replace it for other reasons I had it double glazed (special panels with 8mm outer layer 4mm inner) the improvement was really noticeable although the area of glass was almost doubled.

Wish my boat was all porthole........

We've got a pair of bus windows in the saloon. We use one (the canal facing one).

Yes it can be dark in the boat but I would not want any more bus windows than what we have, two are enough. Plus when you're cruising you get people gawping in any bus windows. If you want to admire the view you go outside.

We have all potholes (11") plus a Houdini in the saloon and another in the galley. Boat is not dark and we have a much greater degree of privacy, also less heat loss in winter and less solar gain in summer. Our previous boat had bus windows so having had both we much prefer portholes.

Phil

Port holes look better and are more secure and private.

Want more light. No problem.

- Paint the ceiling and interior pale colours (paint is cheap)

- Put perspex/acrylic/polycarbonate sheet into the open doors when you need the light.

(Jim Evans has a boat with NO ports or windows and it's perfectly light inside)

Works a treat and you still have a proper boat. If Mrs Lockie needs to see an example please PM me to fix a look in my boat.

I have had 2 boats first was double glazed windows bright airy warm second big portholes double glazed again dark cold (no solar gain on sunny winter day) cooler in summer I prefer windows but it is my prererence so find a boat that you both like and buy it.

Peter