The porthole conundrum

The Lockie

Featured Posts

Thanks for all the help, the heart says yes the head and the boss says no!! Love the boat the engine the back cabin. Don't like all portholes no cratch board or cover no 240v system and currently 65k so looks like we need a boat that ticks a few more boxes!! Been looking over a year now, lots of boats out there but proving very difficult

Looking for over a year? Tyre kicker springs to mind.

Phil

A bit unfair without knowing the whole story there Phil, I was gazumpted on 2 boats, walked away from another after a survey, and missed out by being too slow, not to mention the one who pulled out of the sale a week before I was due to buy it with my cash in his bank (which to be fair I did get back) because his wife changed her mind about the new boat they were buying so it took me nearly a year.

Back on topic port holes for liveaboards and big windows for weekenders. The "people looking in my window" argument never made any sense to me, if I walk my dog down the towpath twice a day am I supposed to avert my eyes when you choose to come and moor there, sorry I'm a taxpayer and the CRT gets more of its money from the government than the boaters, anyway when you walk down the road don't you glance at parked cars, I do, you just do it's human nature. Boats are part of the attraction of the canal people like looking at them, Ok some little kids mainly get a bit too up close and personal but there's plenty of places to moor out of the way. If you want privacy then portholes will be better my preference is portholes in the bedrooms and bathroom but "proper" windows in the living and kitchen areas, I like sunlight or I get SAD (seasonal affective disorder) I suspect some on here could do with more sunlight not lessbiggrin.png ultimately it's all like the bog type, stern type and all that, just a matter of personal opinion.

K

• Greenie 1

We have portholes to bedroom and bathroom and large windows to kitchen, dinette and saloon. We prefer that combination and affords both privacy where needed and great views.

We had an all porthole boat once and found it a little claustrophobic.

Edited by NB Ellisiana

Try harder, been called worse

Phil

With that sort of attitude it does not surprise me

I was thinking more along the lines of searching for the impossible, "the perfect boat" :)

:-) I suppose there is an element of that with us, we have had narrowboat before and you do end up being more specific with what you want because of that!!

Some we have found easy to discount because they fail to tick so many boxes, this one fails to tick a few but we love the boat, its not a problem that there is no 240v that's easily overcome as are the other bits and bobs, It's just the all portholes that is the deal breaker, our last 60' had 3 large windows, 2in saloon and 1 in the galley plus portholes in bathroom and bedroom we found that ideal, I think if this one had a second Houdini in the saloon and glazed door we might have been OK with it, but as it is even with an american white oak fitout the boss finds it a bit dark and claustrophobic, our last boat we spent 6 years on all year round, I love winter cruising so want a back cabin ,engine room and a decent old thumper and these boxes it does tick, I suppose my reason for the OP is that I am really drawn to this boat and am trying to find a compromise so that the boss can live with it too!!

Oh!! and forgot to mention I really wanted to a bit of advice from someone who has replaced portholes with windows to get an idea of the scale and cost of the job, thanks again for all the constructive advice so far

A 5 foot x 4 foot 'sky-light' wouldn't leave much metal on a 5' 6" (ish) wide N/B roof

So what do you want to do on the roof? Or are you referring to structural strength rather than space/

No one has mentioned it so far: how about having the front doors fitted with windows?

We have large windows throughout the boat, with the exception of the engine / utility room at the back where there are portholes. I personally, wouldn't have it any other way, as live aboards, I like having all the natural light I can get.

As far as privacy goes, I draw the bedroom curtains when we are in bed, same as when we were in the house, and the bathroom curtain when I shower. Other than that, the remainder haven't be pulled shut since we moved on board. I feel far less like living in a goldfish bowl on the boat than I ever did living in either our house in Coventry or the one in Loughborough. Even while living in a marina for the past few weeks and with our neighbor's windows less than 3 feet from ours I still wouldn't change it.

My take on security hasn't changed since the day we moved on board, when Dave managed to "misplace" the boat keys and our mover had the pad lock levered off the back doors in under a minute (probably less time than it would take to break in an 11" high window and remove any broken glass before attempting to gain entry through said small space. If they want in bad enough, they will get in; regardless of window design, same applies to bricks & mortar.

As Kevin said earlier (greenie) it boils down to personal preference really - again "to each their own"

Looking for over a year? Tyre kicker springs to mind.

Phil

What an unnecessarily unpleasant comment.

We have been looking to buy a boat for half a year now, and have been badly let down over both that we would seriously have made a cash purchase of, (repeatedly in the case of the one we really wanted).

We are not tyre kickers, and apart from one casual viewing of another boat at a brokerage, (which was a complete dog!), we have not looked at any others, so have certainly not wasted anybody's time or raised expectations, (although both have certainly been done to us by "vendors" who didn't mean what they said).

I fail to see how you can possibly know enough about the OP, their requirements, and their boat viewing history to date to make such a comment.

Port holes look better

That's a personal opinion, but being a personal opinion doesn't make it a fact!

• Greenie 1

Martin Kedian of this forum turned one of our windows into a side hatch w no mess and minimal disruption to internal fit out, in an hour. Worth asking him about fitting windows. I can't imagine it would be impossibly hard if everything else is good about the boat.

• Greenie 1

The OP has already stated that the boat in question did not tick all his boxes, likewise his OH hates port holes so why look at an all port hole boat?

NC thinks the same as me though she worded her post in a more subtle manner.

Phil

How many second hand boats tick all the boxes? this one is the boat for us if we can overcome the porthole issue ie replace 4 portholes with 2 windows that's why I asked the question and sought the advice of the forum.

I can live with portholes the OH cannot its that simple. Got to go now there are some tyres that need kicking!!!

We have large windows throughout the boat, with the exception of the engine / utility room at the back where there are portholes. I personally, wouldn't have it any other way, as live aboards, I like having all the natural light I can get.

As far as privacy goes, I draw the bedroom curtains when we are in bed, same as when we were in the house, and the bathroom curtain when I shower. Other than that, the remainder haven't be pulled shut since we moved on board. I feel far less like living in a goldfish bowl on the boat than I ever did living in either our house in Coventry or the one in Loughborough. Even while living in a marina for the past few weeks and with our neighbor's windows less than 3 feet from ours I still wouldn't change it.

My take on security hasn't changed since the day we moved on board, when Dave managed to "misplace" the boat keys and our mover had the pad lock levered off the back doors in under a minute (probably less time than it would take to break in an 11" high window and remove any broken glass before attempting to gain entry through said small space. If they want in bad enough, they will get in; regardless of window design, same applies to bricks & mortar.

As Kevin said earlier (greenie) it boils down to personal preference really - again "to each their own"

There's a point about bus windows/larger windows people over look, it's not just to do with the ease of breaking in, but stuff on display like lap tops & mobile phones. Being able to see these easily through windows can make you a target in the same way as if you leave valuables on view in a car.

In addition thieves that are determined will turn up prepared with tools. Many thefts though are undertaken by the opportunist who will not necessarily be carrying stuff to break and tamper with locks. A brick through a window is much easier and will attract the opportunist thief.

TBH we've been on the water for near 8 months now, and we were initially worried about theft, we also mostly moor alone so no other boaters to look out for you. Surprisingly we've had nothing nicked yet, not even a boat pole or stuff left on the roof, I always wonder that with portholes being a bit obscure that people generally can't tell if anyone's on board or not, where as drawn curtains on big windows in daylight might suggest no ones on board and with open curtains makes the same easy to ascertain.

At the end of the day I would say mooring within sight other boats will significantly decrease the chances of theft either way.

We close the curtains when the boat is left unattended, thus preventing people seeing valuables in the boat. I'd say its normally possible to tell if a boat is occupied or not, and if not, the easiest way to break in is to break the door locks, not smash a window. So there's no particular advantage for porthole vs large window boats.

How many second hand boats tick all the boxes? this one is the boat for us if we can overcome the porthole issue ie replace 4 portholes with 2 windows that's why I asked the question and sought the advice of the forum.

I can live with portholes the OH cannot its that simple. Got to go now there are some tyres that need kicking!!!

LOL glad to see you still have your sense of humour, good luck with your search.

Phil

Thanks Phil, I'm sure we will get there in the end. Odana?? suggested contacting Kedian engineering, I have heard good reports in the past about these guys, and true to form had an email back within the hour with very useful info that has made us feel a whole lot better about the idea of replacing portholes, Martin from Median has even offered to come over and have a look at the boat for us prior to purchase, we are going over on Monday for another look, and if the boss say yes we will take him up on his kind offer.

We close the curtains when the boat is left unattended, thus preventing people seeing valuables in the boat. I'd say its normally possible to tell if a boat is occupied or not, and if not, the easiest way to break in is to break the door locks, not smash a window. So there's no particular advantage for porthole vs large window boats.

Just ask Mr Finch, screwdriver in drainage slot at bottom of window and its gone. If its over the bed even better for clambering through.

Hi,

Asked the owners of the boat moored not far from us why they "lived " under/in the pram cover at the stern " got to come up for air" was the reply - he sits and reads there ditto the lady on her e book -yes an all porthole boat

We have a mixture of porthole/top opening "largish" widows as we like to look out when underway if not suitable to be outside and coukd not live when moored in a space with less view and fresh air than a prison cell

But each etc etc

Ray

Yes each to his own, we are all port holes but never felt the need to vacate the boat "for air" and have never felt like we are in a prison cell (whatever that's like). Our previous boat had bus windows and we much prefer the privacy of port holes. Each to his own.

Phil

Just ask Mr Finch, screwdriver in drainage slot at bottom of window and its gone. If its over the bed even better for clambering through.

Not how he broke into our boat on either occasion

Richard

Speaking as one with some experience of breaking into properties for a variety of reasons (ex-Police Officerdetective.gif ) I would have to disagree, particularly referring to my own boat. I wouldn't fit an external padlock since 1) they telegraph that the boat is unoccupied and 2) it is relatively easy to 'bolt-crop' them so my doors are either secured from the inside with a thick piece of wood wedged to prevent the hatch sliding or fitted with mortice locks. Even if the door windows are broken you still can't get in since the hole is still too small and if you try to force the lock you will just jam the door so unless you come equipped a set of locksmith's picks or with Fire Brigade equipment to jack the doors apart, and few burglars do, then they will struggle to get in! So the easiest means of entry would be through the window (except that I have, and prefer, portholes since it would only be a small child capable of climbing through if the glass was removed!). On the other hand anyone could get through a broken 'bus window'.

Not how he broke into our boat on either occasion

Richard

How did he break into your boat?