Shoreline 12v Fridges - who has one?

Neil2

Featured Posts

Who has a Shoreline, what model is it and how do they find it?

Shorelines model RR102W seems to have much lower consumption figures than the rest of the under counter range. Does anyone know why this is?

Shorelines model RR102W seems to have much lower consumption figures than the rest of the under counter range. Does anyone know why this is?

Consumption figures for 12v fridges aren't independently verified so the manufacturer can claim what they like with regard to efficiency. 240v fridges are properly scrutinised and rated a+ b c d etc etc.

I personally reckon that should a 12v fridge undergo the same scrutiny as 240v equipment they would certainly not be in the A range of efficiency, first of all the carcase is generally from a standard make fridge, so it's insulation might not be up to a standard that would help reach an A rating. 12v technology hasn't moved on much whereas 240v being so widely used are very efficient in comparison.

Consumption figures for 12v fridges aren't independently verified so the manufacturer can claim what they like with regard to efficiency. 240v fridges are properly scrutinised and rated a+ b c d etc etc.

I personally reckon that should a 12v fridge undergo the same scrutiny as 240v equipment they would certainly not be in the A range of efficiency, first of all the carcase is generally from a standard make fridge, so it's insulation might not be up to a standard that would help reach an A rating. 12v technology hasn't moved on much whereas 240v being so widely used are very efficient in comparison.

I don't know enough about the subject so I can't argue, but I have just bought two small A+ rated fridges for our guest rooms total cost £159. Fact is I am looking at £300 more than that for just one 12v unit and I have no idea how efficient it is. But I'm not going down the 240v route, not yet anyway, so I have no choice.

I'm very happy with mine after 6 years use. Shoreline use two types of compressor, Danfoss BD35F and the ACC GD30FDC. Maybe these have different consumption figures.

I have a 110ltr larder fridge and a 80ltr freezer trouble free after 10 years, both LEC both have Danfos compressors. Both have the same size cabinet (under counter) but the freezer has less capacity because it has more insulation. A big yes from another live aboard.

Phil

I'm very happy with mine after 6 years use. Shoreline use two types of compressor, Danfoss BD35F and the ACC GD30FDC. Maybe these have different consumption figures.

I think that could be it. The ACC unit is, I think, a newer and presumably more efficient model,

Its true to say that 12V fridges aren't rated on the standardised scale of A, B, C, D, E etc.

But its also worth pointing out that the standardised rating is based on it being plugged into a normal domestic mains supply. Once you power it from an inverter with its associated standing current and conversion efficiency, the standardised ratings no longer hold true.

So.....you'd need to do some maths and reading around on how the claimed results compare, to properly compare a 12V and 240V fridge.

I also have a shoreline 12v freezer and fridge, not sure of litres, they both fit under the work top. Been on boat for 4 years but older than that as were both in our camper. Both work well and do the job, on 24/7 as liveaboard, ccing. Well on the way to wales tomorrow.......yippeeicecream.gif

Its true to say that 12V fridges aren't rated on the standardised scale of A, B, C, D, E etc.

But its also worth pointing out that the standardised rating is based on it being plugged into a normal domestic mains supply. Once you power it from an inverter with its associated standing current and conversion efficiency, the standardised ratings no longer hold true.

So.....you'd need to do some maths and reading around on how the claimed results compare, to properly compare a 12V and 240V fridge.

Well if an inverter mimics a domestic supply, I fail to see how that holds true. wacko.png

We all know there's inverter losses as discussed in another thread.

Once you power it from an inverter with its associated standing current and conversion efficiency, the standardised ratings no longer hold true.

Of course they are, it doesn't matter weather I power it from solar or even nuclear, or inverter, the rating of the fridge remains the same. That fact there's an energy loss due to the equipment I choose to used to run the fridge, doesn't change it's efficiency rating.

Of course you need to take it in to account if comparing it to using 12v, but that's not what this thread is about.

Edited by Julynian

Well if an inverter mimics a domestic supply, I fail to see how that holds true. wacko.png

We all know there's inverter losses as discussed in another thread.

I think it's to do with including the conversation losses in the Efficiency equations when run by an inverter (as you should).

Something you wouldn't have to allow for if running on 230v mains

Shoreline fridgefreezer here to a couple of years old works well ( you have to remember to turn up the fridge in winter if it gets to cold in the boat it defrosts :( ) Had a built in 240 before and inverter failure did for all my food so me its 12v all the way

Peter

I bit the bullet and paid £618 for a shoreline fridge freezer - under counter ..... All I can say is it's the best thing I've bought along with my solar panel .... It uses hardly anything .. I have all 12v including TV and I can't seem to flatten my batteries only when I start using my inverter and 240 stuff ....but with the fridge on 24/7 and TV and other 12v stuff like charging ipad, iPhones etc my battery meter doesn't seem to drop below 12.7 after being on the boat all day and night ... I have 3 leisures and I'm a live aboard x x

We have a Shoreline MTBL 140 Fridge. This has been an excellent bit of kit, not power hungry and has done what it said on the tin from day one in June 2011.

We also had a Shoreline F40 Freezer, fitted under the dinette. This was not so good, in fact after the first summer cruise we stopped using it. It failed to maintain temperature despite increasing the ventilation substantially.

To be fair to Shoreline, ( who did not appear to answer e-mails at the time), Ali spoke with the M.D. on the stand at Crick show last year, and he agreed to replace the freezer! Thought this was more than fair. The replacement duly arrived at our Marina at the end of our cruise last year and time will tell if this one is any better.

On balance, our experiance has been more than posotive, certainly regarding the Fridge, which is a good bit of kit.