Which stove?

Proper Charlie

Featured Posts

Our 57' boat doesn't currently have a stove, something we plan to rectify. Which stoves (and capacity) should we be looking at? No need for a back boiler or rads and no need to cope with -10 degrees... just something to keep us warm in the early Spring and late Autumn so we can extend our boating season.

Many thanks in advance.

To some extent it depends upon how much you'd like to spend, and whereabouts within your boat's layout you intend to site the stove, and whether you want a solid fuel stove or a diesel stove. - Every system has its benefits and drawbacks, its fans and detractors (somewhat similar to toilets)

We have a 4.5Kw Morso Squirrel, (which has to be one of the most common and reliable solid fuel stoves fitted to boats) - it will cope with your requirements admirably.

You'll now get a range of different opinions from different posters

(If you are going to purchase soon, Midland Chandlers have their Freaky Friday 20% discount day on the 4th April - which normally renders them the most competitive of most sources on that day)

Can only really advise on what we have, but at 12 years old (and it's been used as a liveaboard for those 12 years), our Morso Squirrel still looks as good as new.

Stove glass and door seals need replacing occasionally (every couple of years). Don't expect the stove glass to stay clean, it always gets filthy very quickly on the Squirrel.

My choice would be woodwarm but expensive at nearly £800 and now my 4.5kw fireview has been discontinued for the phoenix range. I like the fire wren though.

Others I like is the aarrow ecoburn plus. Villager puffin new model. Dunsley highlander 3 or 5kw. Charnwood country 4. Boatman for budget.

I prefer steel bodied stoves as they don't crack like cast iron stoves. Even the squirrel on here has reported lots of cracked panels as they age.

For stove reviews look at www.whatstove.co.uk

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

My Morso Squirrel is 20 years old and falling to bits now - with cracks all over the top now that it's had a fair bit of use. Very disappointing. It won't pass another BSS so I won't be replacing it like for like.

My thinking is a fabricated steel stove, but I'm not sure which yet....

MtB

I have two Morsos at home and I think they're great on dry land but I'm now a firm believer that a steel stove makes more sense on a boat.

I've just installed one of Eddie Brookes Boatman Stoves on the latest boat and I'm very pleased with it. Might be a little small for a 57 footer perhaps.

Our 55ft boat came with a cast iron Stovax Brunel 1A. Ther smallest in the range. Too new to talk about longevity, but it's great in use. Over this (admittedly mild at Barton) winter it has kept us very warm in the saloon AND warmed the rest of the boat via 3 rads. (I know you don't want rads, mentioned them to show how much heat a small capacity stove can do.)

For the usage you mention you will not need anything but the smallest stove in any range. See other threads with people adding extra bricks to reduce capacity...

I wouldn't be tempted to go for what looks a bargain range from Modern Stoves(sourced from Bulgaria), the welding is crap and there are holes in the burner top plate which could allow CO to escape. The body is made of 2-3mm steel and I think the 2 year warranty would only just cover it's life on a boat. I've seen one of these this week which the owner tried to return under their advertised terms, they will not take it.

Our 55ft boat came with a cast iron Stovax Brunel 1A. Ther smallest in the range. Too new to talk about longevity, but it's great in use. Over this (admittedly mild at Barton) winter it has kept us very warm in the saloon AND warmed the rest of the boat via 3 rads. (I know you don't want rads, mentioned them to show how much heat a small capacity stove can do.)

For the usage you mention you will not need anything but the smallest stove in any range. See other threads with people adding extra bricks to reduce capacity...

Mum and Dad have got a Stovax Brunel in their sitting room (the snug) and it is looking as good as new after 4 years. Of course it goes without saying that a boat stove will be working in a tougher environment but on the strength of what I have seen so far I'd be happy to have one on a boat.

During our fit-out we settled on an Arrow 'Becton Bunny' 5kw multi fuel.

Not the cheapest but probably one of the more reliable models out there.

Sometimes you can get away with buying cheap gear, but in the world of stoves I think the old saying 'buy cheap buy twice' has particular meaning.wink.png

Eddie ( Northern Farbrications) is making a bigger version of his boatman stove I would go for that I would not fit a cast iron stove the vibrations from the engine seem to shake them apart not what you need on a boat. Also try and site it nearer the center of the boat not one end as a lot do if helps spread the heat further.

Peter

We have Puffin Villager and hate it, the problem is it only ha a vent below the grate and its a sliding plate with slots in. This makes adjusting the burn rate very difficult, we use a knife as a feeler gauge. Also the glass blackens within minutes so you cant see whats going on. The fit of the parts is poor and latching the two doors is a problem , the grate is jammed in and the fence qt the front is so loose it almost falls out.

Getting spares is a nightmare , the rope seal is a non standard size sou you have to pay though the nose fore a door seal kit.

All in all a heap of junk.

TC

We have Puffin Villager and hate it, the problem is it only ha a vent below the grate and its a sliding plate with slots in. This makes adjusting the burn rate very difficult, we use a knife as a feeler gauge. Also the glass blackens within minutes so you cant see whats going on. The fit of the parts is poor and latching the two doors is a problem , the grate is jammed in and the fence qt the front is so loose it almost falls out.

Getting spares is a nightmare , the rope seal is a non standard size sou you have to pay though the nose fore a door seal kit.

TC

Good point - I would avoid stoves with sliding vents and the cheaper ones tend to have them. The Boatman has two spinner controls and is very easy to regulate, better than our two Squirrels I would say. I'm interested that Eddie is producing a bigger version as I would like another for the house but the boatman is just a bit too small.

I was a bit wary of the steel construction as I've only ever had cast stoves, but I'm totally converted now.

Ours is an interesting blue colour to match the upholstery:

boatmanstove_zps9de2fada.jpg

Thought I would mention this.

I have become aware of a company near to where I live that are, they say (I have no reason to disbelieve), the biggest dealer of Morso in the uk.

They are Osowarm near Chichester. Went in there yesterday to get some bits for our squirrel stove. Their prices were competitive for the bits I bought and they are extremely knowledgable about all things Morso. Their prices on the web site seem expensive, but I have a feeling that they include fitting. They have installed onto boats in Chicester Harbour, to be honest I think their main business is domestic. Fabulas showroom.

Give them a look on line www.osowarm.co.uk or a call to discuss prices. 01243 210405. Nice chaps.

They do mail order.

Martyn.

Edited by Nightwatch

Yes controllability is a key thing to look for you want rotary vents above and below the grate. Out stove at home has what they call an airwash system which keeps the glass clean but ducting air past the glass, works well.

Regards

TC

TC

My friend has a puffin and I refurbished it for him. Repainted, new glass and from memory 9mm stove door rope seals. He has had it 12 years and had no problems apart from a replacement front bar and glass.

It's very true the glass blacks up as it hasn't got airwash to keep the glass as clean as possible and the grate doesn't riddle. The locking handle and locking nut is a bad design but if it isn't seized you can get good adjustment.

If I was going for a villager puffin it would be the new one although I like the look of the ecoburn plus.

http://www.aradastoves.com/stoves/puffin/puffin-4

http://www.stovespares.co.uk/villager-puffin-multi-fuel-stove-spare-parts.html

http://www.aradastoves.com/stoves/ecoburn-plus/ecoburn-plus-4

I find my woodwarm fantastic compared to the three villager stoves we have owned. Build quality superb, extremely controllable like a gas fire, riddling grate can be set flat or open by a lever for burning wood or coal. Double glazed glass. Superb airwash. Secondary burn. No glue needed for the stoves rope seals as they push into a groove in the doors castings.

http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/discontinued-stoves/4kwfireview.ashx

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?