The GU south of Braunston

Neil2

Featured Posts

We're heading down the GU next month, never been on this stretch before but I gather lots of members know it well.

Any items of interest for us to look out for or conversely anything to avoid?

Not sure how far we will get, but on my wife's birthday I expect to be somewhere between Leighton Buzzard and Aylesbury so if anyone knows a decent pub in that area I'd be grateful.

Unfortunately more and more of the pubs are being lost, or turned into up market "gastro" pubs selling burgers at prices you would associate with something more elaborate.

I can't really recommend much from Leighton down to Tring Summit, and personally would avoid both the "Grand Union at Three Locks", (or however exactly it has rebranded itself!) & the "Grove Lock", (drinks also overrpriced as well as the food!)

Neither of the surviving pubs at Marsworth are really top notch for food, frankly, although both the Red Lion and the Anglers Retreat remain good enough drinking pubs.

You can do better to the North of Leighton buzzard in the Milton Keynes area, and pubs like the Plough at Simpson or the Barge at Woolstone in my opinion are rather better than any of those in the stretch I have mentioned above.

If you mean Aylesbury, (down the Arm), then Aylesbury basin is under redevelopment, and not really very inviting right now, and very limited, if any, available mooring. There is really no viable pub near the canal that springs to mind.

Indeed, North of LB I'd recommend the Black Horse at Great Linford, the Barge at Woolstone (our local), and the Plough at Simpson. Personally I'd definitely avoid the 3 locks at Soulbury, and the Globe at Linslade is somewhat "variable" so although we have had a few good meals there we have also had one or two bad ones. I don't personally think the Grove at Grove Lock is too bad at all, although as Alan says the beer tends to be a bit pricey. After that there is a serious shortage of pubs until Marsworth (does anyone know what the Carpenters Arms at Slapton is like these days, it's about 20 minutes walk from the canal but I've not been there for years)

I enjoyed the food at the Grove - a larger portion might have been appreciated after a long day at the helm though. The beer prices are pretty standard for Fullers pubs though (unfortunately).

I forgot the "Globe" at Linslade. Actually we have yet to have a bad experience there, but I recall others have reported being severely dissapointed.

I can't speak for the Slapton pub, not having been in years, but the road is surprisingly busy for such a back-water, and I didn't finf walking to the pub particularly pleasant.

In theory an easier walk is possible from Pitstone Wharf into Cheddington for the Old Swan, (now being footpathed throughout), but the landlord there seems to be determined to add that one to another list of failed pubs in the area - it was actually shut for a while, I think, but I don't know latest status.

Also worth saying that it is not a long walk into Leighton Buzzard from the canal, and there are quite a number of choices there, including the inevitable Wetherspoons, (whoich actually isn't bad :blush:).

The beer prices are pretty standard for Fullers pubs though (unfortunately).

Perhaps we were overcharged - last time I wouldn't have flinched if it had been for 3 drinks, but it was for only two!

I'll not be racing back!

• Greenie 1

Perhaps we were overcharged - last time I wouldn't have flinched if it had been for 3 drinks, but it was for only two!

I'll not be racing back!

No you probably weren't overcharged - I find Fullers are the most expensive pubs around, I'm paying £3.80 - sorry £3.79 form tonight - for a London Pride at my local and it's over £4 for most of their lagers. The food isn't exactly cheap either - the specials board was showing grilled halloumi and salad for £12.50 last week !!!

Another vote for the Barge Inn. I would recommend mooring in Campbell Park just above bridge 81b which is a pretty spot and only a short walk from the pub.

Or moor just North of Bridge 83 which is not so far to the pub (and is where we live)

If you mean Aylesbury, (down the Arm), then Aylesbury basin is under redevelopment, and not really very inviting right now, and very limited, if any, available mooring. There is really no viable pub near the canal that springs to mind.

There are plenty of pubs in the town centre, only a short walk from the end of the arm. We tend to use The Bell, which is a Wetherspoons.

I'd also recommend the Globe at Leighton. Last summer they did a very good oldies' menu. I can't remember the details, but it was excellent value. Also, though a popular pub with boaters, there's always plenty of room to tie up nearby.

I've heard good reports of the Barley Mow at Cosgrove. We haven't been there for ages (it used to be dire) but I gather it's under new management. Anyone tried it recently?

There are plenty of pubs in the town centre, only a short walk from the end of the arm. We tend to use The Bell, which is a Wetherspoons.

Or if you are feeling a bit more upmarket there is the Kings Head in Aylesbury town centre which is a National Trust owned building only five minutes walk from the basin. Food always looks good to me but it can get busy at weekends.

http://www.farmersbar.co.uk/

As Dave says there are lots of other pubs in the town centre but in my opinion the Bell and the Kings Head are the best. There are also dozens of restaurants within a few minutes walk.

There is plenty of mooring in at the end of the arm and there will be even more once the new basin moorings are completed.

Tim

Tim

I'm going to have to disagree with Mister Fincher. I've had numerous appalling meals at The Globe in Linslade and will never eat there again. I don't recommend it at all.

The Grove at Grove Lock just south of Leighton Buzzard has always provided great food when I've been there and the beer is good if pricy. I'm used to London prices though and will pay more for a reliably good meal, decent homemade specials and a good pint. I always take visiting friends and rellies there. And the owners of the pub are happy for me to sit there with my laptop plugged in while perusing CWDF too.

If you prefer cheap food to great food, then The Ship on Wing Road in Leighton Buzzard isn't bad for a carvery (crap roast spuds though) and is a pleasant pub to sit in with friendly locals.

I've been to most but not all the pubs in Leighton Buzzard town centre and so far without exception they've been big screen sports pubs with microwaved food or no food and evening clientele of kids trying to look 18. Depends what you're into of course but that's not my proverbial cuppa. The Wetherspoons in Leighton is the only Wetherspoons I've been to that has managed to cock up a full English breakfast. Big time. And I usually love Wetherspoons breakfasts. :D So I use their wifi but wouldn't eat there.

The Three Locks at Soulbury is expensive and harder to find a mooring there than south of Leighton, the pub is less comfy and the food is okay but not as good as the Grove IMHO.

If you don't mind a long walk from the canal at Pitstone, both pubs in Cheddington do good food. Great roast at The Swan and good homemade pizzas and bubble and squeak and homely stuff at the other pub. That's the locals pub too but small so it can be hard to find a seat.

Grand Junction Arms in BulBourne has excellent quality food but do expect it to turn up on a flipping lump of slate instead of a plate! (Bugbear of mine, that)

Anyway, I've eaten and boozed my way round much of the network now. :)

Edited by BlueStringPudding

I've heard good reports of the Barley Mow at Cosgrove. We haven't been there for ages (it used to be dire) but I gather it's under new management. Anyone tried it recently?

We had a couple of meals at the Barley Mow last Autumn (after the new management had taken over) and the food was good - reasonably priced and copious.

we regularly use the Grand Junction Arms and normally it is good, if a bit expensive - but the last meal we had there was rubbish.

It is all very unpredictable.

Chris G

I forgot the "Globe" at Linslade. Actually we have yet to have a bad experience there, but I recall others have reported being severely dissapointed.

I'm going to have to disagree with Mister Fincher. I've had numerous appalling meals at The Globe in Linslade and will never eat there again. I don't recommend it at all.

I can't see we are disagreeing!

You have had duff meals there - we haven't, but my post openly acknowledges that some people have.

Seems to me we are 100% agreed about the Globe, which is clearly "variable". Only mystery is if you have had numerous appalling meals why you didn't stop going sooner!

I'm not convinced that the "Old Swan" in Cheddington is even open at the moment, but even when it was, the landlord was developing a habit of simply declaring he was closing up when he felt like it - that was before 10:00 pm last time I actually went their with friends, so we deleted it from our regular list for regulart meet ups. I'll check with my mate who actually lives in Chedders whether it is still functioning.

Interesting comment from Chris G ("Batavia") about the Bulbourne one - we had heard much the same. Once any of the three Marsworth pubs, or the one Bulbourne one was a reasonably safe option. Now one seems lost for ever, and the other three unpredictable.

Pubs in that area really are in the "need to try harder" category now, I think. A former colleague of mine offered the full asking price in cash for the White Lion at Startopsend/Marsworth, but it seems they do not want it to ever be a pub again, and are letting it deteriorate to the point it starts to fall down, at which point an inappropriate cluster of canalside houses will no doubt replace it.

The Globe was shut for a while last year, and re-opened looking rather smarter. We've only had dessert there, which was pretty good, but probably doesn't give a lot to go on!

We've eaten quite well at The Grove, and when I asked a colleague who lives in Leighton Buzzard which pub we should meet at, that was the one she chose.

The Anglers at Marsworth provided a very average meal last time we were there.

Would highly recommend the Barge at Woolstone. Where ever you moor in Milton Keynes, it's not far to walk. It's a Vintage Inn, and of you sign up on the website they'll send you various offers. In fact, I had an email the other day saying that because my birthday is coming up, if I printed out the email I'd get a bottle of champagne.

Been to Half Moon twice in the last month, new people now run it. Food and beer very good, Eaten in the Globe and Three Locks both good. in fact the Grand Union Christmas Cruising Club have had 2 Christmas bashes there, absolutely brilliant.

.....................Would highly recommend the Barge at Woolstone. Where ever you moor in Milton Keynes, it's not far to walk. It's a Vintage Inn, and of you sign up on the website they'll send you various offers. In fact, I had an email the other day saying that because my birthday is coming up, if I printed out the email I'd get a bottle of champagne.

Now that would go down very well with the other half...

Lots of useful information here - I'm very grateful. Particularly useful to know where to stop in Milton Keynes as we're likely to spend a bit of time there. My wife was born and brought up on her parents farm in Newport Pagnell, long before it became swallowed up by the new town, so there's a bit of exploring to do. I imagine it's changed a bit(!) though we know for certain the old farmhouse is still there.

We will be on the GU in early May for our hols and will be travelling north from Linslade, so I am also interested in all comments. This is the first time we will have covered this area. Our intention is to cruise up to Market Harborough and return over the two weeks all additional info greatly appreciated. I should say we have simple tastes in food no spicey stuff these days. Would like to know of any recommended canalside pubs with music.

Hope you enjoy your hol neil smile.png

I checked with a resident of the village that I was out drinking with {elsewhere) last night, and I can confirm that the Old Swan in Cheddington is currently shut and up for sale.

They think it is likely to end up as an Indian restaurant, in which case yet another formerly OK pub has been lost from this area.

Well despite the experiences of others, we decided we would stop for lunch at the Globe, Linslade today.

We enjoyed two excellent (but vegetarian) meals, and the beer also very good.

(The "parking" could hardly have worked out better, as well!)

IMG_5283_zps43cff109.jpg

Well despite the experiences of others, we decided we would stop for lunch at the Globe, Linslade today.

We enjoyed two excellent (but vegetarian) meals, and the beer also very good.

(The "parking" could hardly have worked out better, as well!)

IMG_5283_zps43cff109.jpg

Is your car parked behind that big blue patio then??

Is your car parked behind that big blue patio then??

I was parked there 3 weeks ago behind that patio and the 'car park' was deserted. Perhaps the lack of phone or TV signal contributes? I went demented after 24hrs and went back up a pound.