High Powered Appliances

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

Hi guys

A quick question for those with knowledge about batteries. If i use a high powered appliance (for example a 1400w table top dishwasher), but only with the engine running (110amp alternator) am I still ageing, or damaging, my batteries earlier than I would by not using such a high powered appliance?

What do you think? I think im not as most of the power is coming from the alternator directly rather than from the batteries themsleves.

I never use such a high powered appliance by just relying on the power from the batteries - i always have the engine on at the same time.

Whats the consensus? Early Battery damage, or not?

Well a 110 amp alternator is unlikely to cover all the load so a rough estimate gives a deficit of about 20 to 30 amps. That is assuming the alternator is running fast enough to reach its rated output. That being so much will depend upon what you then do to recharge the batteries. If its nothing there will be a long term decline in capacity. If it recharge as much as reasonably possible then the decline will be even longer term.

Early battery damage is unlikely but remember all batteries deteriorate over time the only question is how fast?

This is why I need a battery monitor you know if you have taken amps from battery and when you have put them back in .Will be ordering one in April with a 400Amp shunt as I have a 3000w pure sign inverter

Agreed, no damage, even if you don't have the engine running at the time although you may then need to consider the fact that taking a high current flattens the batteries proportionally quicker than if you take a lower current - ie twice the current flattens them more than twice as quickly, rather like the way that a car gives you less mpg if you drive faster. Google "Peukert's Law" if you want to make your brain spin.

As frequently happens there is not enough information to be able to make a sensible reply.

Initially the reply must be forty-two

If you have a battery capacity of say 110 amp-hours, then you'll do them a lot of no good, if four hundred, then that's a different matter.

The OP doesn't realise and nobody's pointe out that the 1400 watts (probably) includes the water heating component which may only be needed for 10 minutes (?) of each wash cycle - so the actual power consumption is less that one would at first imagine.

Hi

Yes the water heater is currently only on for about 10-15 mins during the first wash and then again for about 10 mins on the last cycle ( the cycle i use is 75mins)

My battery bank is 405amps and i do notice a one or two percent drop if i have the dishwasher on while running the engine at the same time. So the defecit is taking one or two percent of my batteries capacity by the time the cycle finishes?

I thin you've answered your own question!

Sudden thought - and subject to others who know better - if you had a way of supplying the hot water (rather than cold fill which is what the unit is designed for), you might save even more battery power?????

I thin you've answered your own question!

Sudden thought - and subject to others who know better - if you had a way of supplying the hot water (rather than cold fill which is what the unit is designed for), you might save even more battery power?????

My Washing Machine is supplied with Hot water only,direct from the Cauliflower

CT

I have proper FLT traction batteries on Lyra, but the down side of these is that they don't give up their power as readily as a starter battery.

I have been idly speculating on whether a starter battery in series with the main bank would supply that sudden rush needed as high capacity motor starts up. ie a vacuum cleaner. Our inverter will run the load, but start up drags the voltage too low.

Anyone out there tried this?

Bob

I think it would be better/safer via a thermostatic mixing valve. Preferably one you can adjust across a range of washing temperatures. I would hate to try wool in a 80 degree wash.

You wash your woollies in a DISHWASHER??

Tel us more......