Inverter Question.

canals are us?

Featured Posts

Due to needing more freezer space I have bought a 240 volt freezer £95.

This one http://www.ice-king.co.uk/ProductList.aspx?p=7 I'm currently Marina based so ok as to running, but when I go on trips out, it would be nice to run it off an inverter.

What size inverter would I need?

Everything else is 12volt. I would certainly have to upgrade the batteries to 4x Trojan T105'S as I only have two currently and have a religious charging regime. The alternator is a 70amp.

Should I just use the freezer compartment in the old inlander 12 volt instead while out?

I'm away till late tomorrow, so will reply asap.

Thanks. Jamescheers.gif

There's a beautiful symetry to the idea of a dedicated solar power system to run a fridge/freezer. No doubt someone a lot cleverer than me can tell you exactly what you'd need, but I doubt it would require 450 amp hours of storage so the savings in batteries could go a long way to pay for the solar. Just a thought.

You need to find the max power consumption of the device in watts - only energy consumption over 24 hours is mentioned in your link. Then allow a generous extra margin on the inverter power output since the freezer compressor will probably have a hefty start up current.

You need to find the max power consumption of the device in watts - only energy consumption over 24 hours is mentioned in your link. Then allow a generous extra margin on the inverter power output since the freezer compressor will probably have a hefty start up current.

Hi,

Found a label inside and outside with.

153kwh per Annum

Total Input power 90watt.

Frequency 50Hz

Rated Current 0.55a

Don't know if this helps.

Thanks James.cheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

This one http://www.ice-king.co.uk/ProductList.aspx?p=7 I'm currently Marina based so ok as to running, but when I go on trips out, it would be nice to run it off an inverter.

Everything else is 12volt. I would certainly have to upgrade the batteries to 4x Trojan T105'S as I only have two currently and have a religious charging regime. The alternator is a 70amp.

Should I just use the freezer compartment in the old inlander 12 volt instead while out?

Thanks. Jamescheers.gif

Considering your religious charging regime remark, James, I'd say you're in for some fun here - not only on discussing this topic but also with the upgrade you are about to do to your boat. You may end up just buying a small, simple inverter to handle only the freezer, but, if you are anal (that's Californian for "religious about") about your batteries then you should go to the Victron website and look at the various types of inverters they have available. Inverters don't have to be just single-function devices. They can come with all kinds of cool energy/battery management and monitoring systems, things that a guy who is religious about his batteries would drool over, I would think.

When you think about it, you are making a major upgrade to your boat, just by virtue of the new batteries and even the most simple inverter. Depending on your resources, you really should consider using this opportunity to upgrade beyond just one simple receptacle.

You will need about a 1000 watt inverter to be able to start the freezers pump.

Our main inverter was in for a repair so I tested to destruction the following trying to run a freezer:-

150w

300w

500w

The next one we tried was a 1200watt one that copes fine.

edit to add,

the freezer only used 90 watts once started.

Edited by Justme

Once you have an inverter you will probably be tempted to run other stuff from it, so another reason to aim higher. Your batteries would comfortable stand say an 1800 watt inverter (popular size) although the modest (by modern standards) 70 amp alternator charging them may take a while to replace charge. Note also that the price per watt produced seems to drop as the power output of models increases.

I think you may be misunderstanding - a religious charging regime meansyou only charge the batteries on Sundays

Silly me!

See, over here a religious charging regime means you stand on top of your boat thumping your Buybull, railing about the evils of government aid to the poor, whilst tied to a government subsidized dock, charging your batteries from a government subsidized power source. I was guessing it meant something different over there, but, truly, I just took a shot in the dark.

Thanks. Jamescheers.gif

For that freezer linked it will use 35ah per day, an inverter will use around 20ah per day, so that's around 50ah, with the fridge that will also be around 30-40ah, so around 100ah per day. With 4 Trojans and a 70amp alternator at bulk it should be able to get all 70 in, so that's around 1.5hr to replace, if you did the 50-80% charge per day and then a 100% (3-5hrs) when at weekend it would be around 13-15hrs per week of pure charging. Say it takes around 1litre per hour to charge, then your looking at around £10-15 per week to keep the freezer and fridge on, but around about a 1/3 less if just the fridge.

Note the figures are from the head, so may not be so accurate!

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

Hi thanks everyone for the great advice and religious charging bantercheers.gif

My existing sterling inverter is only a 600 watt continuous rating and 800 watt peak, so no chance.

I personally feel from the sound and sensible advice given is I would be much better off not using the 240 volt freezer while cruising and just use the 12 volt version.

This way I'm saving fuel, less engine wear and the need to upgrade the inverter and cables etc .

I think this advise makes sound financial sense as I have never used the inverter except to charge the laptop until I got a 12 volt adapter.

I'll save up instead for a battery monitorclapping.gif

Thanks, Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?