Three end unlimited data whilst tethering.....

Featured Posts

This has come up in another post Mentioned by Carl but folk may miss it so it's worthy of a topic in it's own right I think.

It transpires Three have ended the unlimited tethering ability on their 'much vaunted for boaters' One Plan This came into force for new contracts on 4th March 2014 and importantly for any one upgrading after that date too. New contracts as a result of upgrading or brand new contracts look like they will now be subject to a 2 GB limit per month of data whilst tethered

It also appears that 'The One Plan' is only available now on SIM only plans rather than with phones

It seems as if you already have unlimited tethering on your existing contract this will remain however this will change if you get yourself a shiny new phone via# an upgrade with Three. People could of course get a phone via a none upgrade route and buy one outright

It's known a few people their their phones for tethering on Three on here so posting just so folk know should they be 'invited' to upgrade by Three, they may 'forget' to mention this minor detail

Some info here

ed. to fix link. and fix curious random dodgy character insertion.

Edited by The Dog House

Thanks for that. I was just about to terminate my BT broadband arrangement in order to use my 3 One Plan allowance - probably best not to, in that case! Wonder why they've changed it?

Incidentally, I noticed a week or so ago travelling through London that I was getting 4G reception. Very very fast! It stopped by the time I'd reached Wandsworth and was back to 3G.

stickleback, on 20 Mar 2014 - 4:26 PM, said:

Thanks for that. I was just about to terminate my BT broadband arrangement in order to use my 3 One Plan allowance - probably best not to, in that case! Wonder why they've changed it?

Incidentally, I noticed a week or so ago travelling through London that I was getting 4G reception. Very very fast! It stopped by the time I'd reached Wandsworth and was back to 3G.

It depends I think - if existing customers are OK as long as they don't upgrade it could be worth doing what you planned.

They have probably changed it because it was being overused (some say abused) but I cant see how you can abuse something if it's allowable in your contract.

Three find out that you are tethering by checking the user agent, so there are several ways around the problem.

They can't tell if you are tethering if they can't see the user agent, so using https, a vpn or SSH SOCKS5 tunnel you will be un-detectable.

You can also get a handy user agent spoofer for your browser. Here is a free one for Chrome. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg/related?hl=en-US

It does seem too good to be true compared to other providers but there is no mention on the 3 website and it still says:

"If your smartphone plan includes all you can eat data, then this is for data consumption actually on your smartphone. It does not include using your smartphone as a modem to connect other devices such as laptops and tablets – also known as “Tethering”. Tethering is included in (i) The One Plan; (ii) the One Plan SIM only; or (iii) By purchasing an Ultimate Internet Plan with the Tethering Add on. The add-on can be purchased via My3 on your handset and is also available to customers on our Talk and Text plans."

They sneakily tried to get me off the One plan last Summer when I changed phones, me only finding out when all of a sudden my internet wouldn't work and tethering stopped after a month.

Only after many calls and me highlighting the fact that I had mentioned my usage/tethering needs 4 times during the upgrade call (recorded , luckily) did they agree to change me back to the one plan.

Yes, that's what they changed me to Alan, the Ultimate Plan - which wasn't very ultimate as it would have cost me almost £20 a month more than my previous contract.

Edited by matty40s

How much is 2GB? Have others found that when they have tethered an iPad for streaming TV or films and normal usage they are getting anywhere near 2GB

For us it would be next to useless. We have the 3 MIFI deal 15g I think it's £18 per month. We don't do much downloading, certainly not films. I do some occasional BBC I player, no more than an hour a week. We both surf evenings usually on websites similar to this, face book e bay etc. We generally use near the 15g allowance. Light use we'll be down to 10g. If we have a lot of gig remaining, we just down load a film or 2 or some I player programs. I think we went over once but that was when creating a web site.

So just 2 gig allowance on the one plan just wouldn't be worth the hassle for our usage.

These days 2 gigs is nothing. An HD film can eat that and more in one sitting. What some people don't realize is that, just opening a webpage consumes data and it soon tots up, and, if you go over your monthly data quota they hammer you.

I use TMobile. I've been with them since 2009. It might not be the fasted connection but, if you go over they don't charge for extra data. You can purchase extra or use the 250mb free booster and when that runs out you just keep clicking the Free Booster until your new monthly quota starts again.

It also has an installable data counter but, to be honest it isn't that accurate.

I believe TMobile is the only company that doesn't charge if you go over the monthly data.

Edited by Androo

It does seem too good to be true compared to other providers but there is no mention on the 3 website and it still says:

"If your smartphone plan includes all you can eat data, then this is for data consumption actually on your smartphone. It does not include using your smartphone as a modem to connect other devices such as laptops and tablets – also known as “Tethering”. Tethering is included in (i) The One Plan; (ii) the One Plan SIM only; or (iii) By purchasing an Ultimate Internet Plan with the Tethering Add on. The add-on can be purchased via My3 on your handset and is also available to customers on our Talk and Text plans."

I can't explain that to be honest Alan. The site however doesn't seem to show any phones available on the one plan any longer and the price breakdown for the one plan for the SIM only plan no longer says it includes tethering, when I am pretty sure it did previously.

Ps I.m also struggling a bit to confirm 2 gb is the actual tethering limit.

Funnily enough while looking at this thread, I had a different tab open on the 3 website, & it clearly said tethering. Since then that tab has been closed & I now cannot find that page, going through my history, the relevant page now says the connection was reset by the server & wont load again.

I also saw a comment elsewhere that the sim only plan for this deal doesnt have the 2gb limit. I see the price has jumped a lot though, because last time I looked it was going to be £12.90 pm for a sim only 24 or 12 month contract, & £15 for a sim only 1 month contract on this deal.

Right, I have just spoken to support.

All you-can-eat-data now only applies to the phone. (Edit & now includes 2Gb hotspot (tethering by a different name)... if I understand it correctly, whereas before no tethering was allowed unless on The One Plan)
Tethering only applies to The One deal.
The One deal is now only available as a SIM ONLY contract (so no phone) & apparently includes tethering still (as implied in the terms & conditions)

Live chat transcript.

cleardot.gif
General Info Chat Start Time: 20/03/2014 18:17:01 Chat End Time: 20/03/2014 18:34:13 Chat URL: http://store.three.co.uk/view/content/basket?ID=1189 Referer URL: http://www.store-3.co.uk/transfer.html?prdid=98190 Name: Visitor Email: Phone: Initial Question:

Chat Transcript 06:17:20 PM [suraj] Hi, welcome to Three.
06:17:23 PM [suraj] My name is Suraj, may I please know your name?
06:17:31 PM [Visitor] Deane
06:17:51 PM [suraj] Hi Deane. How may I help you today?
06:19:04 PM [Visitor] I wanted The One plan, sim only, with unlimited data & tethering. But I have read this deal has been stopped. Yet in the terms & conditions it says tethering is only allowed on the one plan
06:19:48 PM [suraj] We apprecoate your interest in our One plan SIM deal.
06:19:56 PM [suraj] The One plan offers you:

• 2000 minutes (anytime, any network)

• 5000 texts

All-you-can-eat Data

• 5000 Three-to-Three minutes

• Voicemail

06:20:25 PM [suraj] This plan is no longer offered on pay monthly phone contracts, however it is still available on SIM only plans.
06:21:26 PM [Visitor] I was after a pay monthly sim only deal. I can provide my own phone
06:22:06 PM [suraj] That's great. You can get this plan on a SIM only deal.
06:22:30 PM [Visitor] Can you confirm that this is still unlimited data, & that it is NOT restricted to 2gb tethering
06:23:03 PM [suraj] I would need to check that for you.
06:23:05 PM [suraj] I’ll get that information for you – please give me a couple of minutes, thanks.
06:24:49 PM [suraj] Sorry to keep you waiting. It's taking me some time.
06:24:57 PM [suraj] While you wait, may I also take your home post code with any 2 post code where you’ll use the service often so I can check the coverage?
06:24:57 PM [Visitor] ok
06:25:42 PM [Visitor] no its ok, I know the coverage is ok, I was waiting for my contract with my current provider to finish. I already use 1 of your internet dongles
06:26:15 PM [suraj] All you can eat data is the best part of our phone deals. It means unrestricted internet access on your phone. So you can browse websites, download games and applications, watch online videos, etc as much as you want without worrying about extra charges.
06:26:44 PM [Visitor] yes but waht about tethering
06:27:35 PM [Visitor] from your terms & conditions just now
If your smartphone plan includes all you can eat data, then this is for data consumption actually on your smartphone. It does not include using your smartphone as a modem to connect other devices such as laptops and tablets – also known as “Tethering”. Tethering is included in (i) The One Plan; (ii) the One Plan SIM only;
06:27:59 PM [suraj] Yes. It's still unrestricted tethering or hotspot feature on the One plan SIM deal for the time or till further update.
06:28:49 PM [Visitor] OK, thanks. What is this 2gb limit I am reading about on your companies blog & on various news sites from the last 2 days
06:29:04 PM [Visitor] with regards to tethering ^^
06:29:46 PM [suraj] That's for all you can eat data on pay monthly phone plans. We currently working on that with the one plan, it's not applied to it yet.
06:30:08 PM [Visitor] ok thanks.
06:30:18 PM [suraj] You are welcome. Is there anything else we can help you with today?
06:30:38 PM [Visitor] No thanks, that is all. Thank You.
06:30:59 PM [suraj] You are welcome.
06:31:02 PM [suraj] Thank you for contacting Three. Do feel free to contact us again and we would be happy to help you. Good bye.
Edited by Ssscrudddy

I think I shall go out tomorrow & take out 1 of these contracts, get it whilst its hot as it were.
I already asked about this less than a month ago & was told they have no plans to change the One plan deal, I guess the shop peeps dont get this info until it's changed. I still have a month & a bit on my old vodafone contract to go, but I pay for a 3 internet dongle.

I think that's the deal I have as had sim only contract and intended using my blackberry phone. Sigh.... have broken Blackberry--so had to get another phone, but I still think I am supposed to be on that deal mentioned above. My brother says all my problems due to PAT which translates as pat and technology. I try so hard but I just don't get it.frusty.giffrusty.giffrusty.giffrusty.giffrusty.gif

I think I shall go out tomorrow & take out 1 of these contracts, get it whilst its hot as it were.

I already asked about this less than a month ago & was told they have no plans to change the One plan deal, I guess the shop peeps dont get this info until it's changed. I still have a month & a bit on my old vodafone contract to go, but I pay for a 3 internet dongle.

Keep us posted.

These days 2 gigs is nothing. An HD film can eat that and more in one sitting. What some people don't realize is that, just opening a webpage consumes data and it soon tots up, and, if you go over your monthly data quota they hammer you.

I use TMobile. I've been with them since 2009. It might not be the fasted connection but, if you go over they don't charge for extra data. You can purchase extra or use the 250mb free booster and when that runs out you just keep clicking the Free Booster until your new monthly quota starts again.

It also has an installable data counter but, to be honest it isn't that accurate.

I believe TMobile is the only company that doesn't charge if you go over the monthly data.

Hi,

I was on the Tmobile deal and at the end of my contract they refused to renew it saying they could not continue with the discounts I had and wanted to double the cost for half the data

I told them to stick it and now use an O2 Free hot spot with no limit and its faster all from the comfort of my lounge = sorry saloon

They tried it again on my mobile but called to say they would continue my discount as I had canceled the contract (30 days notice)

So I am a happy camper free wifi and 300 mins and 300 texts for £5

Ray

I think that's the deal I have as had sim only contract and intended using my blackberry phone. Sigh.... have broken Blackberry--so had to get another phone, but I still think I am supposed to be on that deal mentioned above. My brother says all my problems due to PAT which translates as pat and technology. I try so hard but I just don't get it.frusty.giffrusty.giffrusty.giffrusty.giffrusty.gif

You can still get a 16Gb Nexus 4 for £200 from Amazon. No longer available on Google play, but it was originally £280 from them, went down to £200 when they introduced the Nexus 5. An absolutely excellent & top notch phone. It doesnt do 4g.

The 16 Gb Nexus 5 is £300 from Google Play, & £340 for the 32Gb version & they are 4g. An even better phone.

here's some info and discussion on Three's "blog"

http://blog.three.co.uk/2014/03/18/three-make-0800-numbers-free-on-new-pay-monthly-plans/

They tell us that, as only 10% of their customers use more than 2Gb of tethered data, it won't affect many customers and, based on "feedback from customers", this is a limit that will make the experience better for most.

There still seem to be some unlimited tetherable options, but it looks confusing. I'd guess that a lot of people might be "conned" into upgrading to get the free 0800 calls and cheap 08xx calls, only to find they have lost their unlimited tethering.

I think Three have possibly lost a lot of bandwidth during their purchase of 4G licences, and they have probably sold too much unlimited tethering facility. They have obviously decided that they can afford to lose up to 10% of their unlimited tethering customers, and they might also expect that not all will leave as there isn't really an unlimited tethering alternative.

At the end of my contract next January I will be looking around which might mean Three lose me - I don't think they will be bothered.

Conned is the right word, seeing as all the mobile phone companies have got to make 0800 free from June 2015, & all the companies have got to provide a normal number (not 0845) for complaints etc. & all public bodies now have to have an 03 number which comes out of your normal allowance.

All the mobile phone companies claim no one uses their unlimited data, & use that as an excuse to drop it, which is simply BS

I think Three have possibly lost a lot of bandwidth during their purchase of 4G licences, and they have probably sold too much unlimited tethering facility. They have obviously decided that they can afford to lose up to 10% of their unlimited tethering customers, and they might also expect that not all will leave as there isn't really an unlimited tethering alternative.

I agree with you. Not surprised by any of this, wondered how long the unlimited would last after 4g came available - they seem to have so many customers, I reckon you're right, it does affect the bandwidth. Where we moor, our 3 sim gave us by far the worst and slowest service out of all the sims we have, of an evening (when all the boaters come back from work) it would judder to a halt. I pay through the nose for EE 4g but we use it for work, we need fast and reliable. We get through about 30gb a month. Aint cheap!

Well I just got my new The One plan SIM only, from 3, including unlimited data with tethering. Dunno if it works yet cuz I haven't tried to tether yet, & I haven't used more than 2gb, In fact this is only my 2nd post with it on the interwebz