l e d lighting

Featured Posts

Hi I recently replaced my G4 JC Type Halogen Light Bulbs with some cheap LED lights from Ebay.

The new lights seem to run far too hot, the supplier said I need a LED driver even though there running from 12volt battery. Anyone else had this problem.

Thanks

Mark

This can be a problem with cheap LED lights that use resistors to control current flow. They are designed to run from 12v but your boat's electrical system runs at more than 12v. Let's say 12.5v when using the batteries, and maybe 14.4v when the engine is running or other means of charging the batteries is in use. It is possible to get DC to DC converters that put out a regulated 12v but for me, that seems a bit faffy and I preferred to spend a bit more on LEDs that had built in switch mode regulation (often specified as being able to take up to 30v).

This can be a problem with cheap LED lights that use resistors to control current flow. They are designed to run from 12v but your boat's electrical system runs at more than 12v. Let's say 12.5v when using the batteries, and maybe 14.4v when the engine is running or other means of charging the batteries is in use. It is possible to get DC to DC converters that put out a regulated 12v but for me, that seems a bit faffy and I preferred to spend a bit more on LEDs that had built in switch mode regulation (often specified as being able to take up to 30v).

yes I think I will spend more and upgrade them, thank you for your reply

Mark

I've been going through the same problem. I bought cheap (less than 2.00 each) LED lights from China last year. They worked great, however I noticed a few of the disks had come unstuck from the glass, mine are MR11s.

Eventually I worked out it was because they ran a lot hotter and brighter when the engine was running or the 240v battery charger was in use.

I've since replaced the lights I most often use while the engine might be running with some slightly more expensive ones. About 7.50 each from Calcutt and Midland Chandlers. The ones from Calcutt give a much nicer, warm light and the light throw is really good. The Midland Chandlers ones were a few pence cheaper but the light is more blue and doesn't spread as well.

I'm waiting for Calcutt's to get more in stock so I can match them up.

Rob

Does anyone have any other good recommendations for LED lights - I have 20w halogens which run the vast majority of the time from our shorepower, so this is 13.7v off the charger. They are the level of brightness and warmth.

I have tried bog-standard LED lights from eBay/China and they were immediately removed as they're hopeless. I now need to upgrade.

Im trying to identify what LED bulb will create the same brightness and warmth as a 20w halogen - any thoughts?

Does anyone have any other good recommendations for LED lights - I have 20w halogens which run the vast majority of the time from our shorepower, so this is 13.7v off the charger. They are the level of brightness and warmth.

I have tried bog-standard LED lights from eBay/China and they were immediately removed as they're hopeless. I now need to upgrade.

Im trying to identify what LED bulb will create the same brightness and warmth as a 20w halogen - any thoughts?

That's a difficult one to answer as the type of light seems to vary so much, some very blue even. All our LED's are cheapies both from China and U.K I buy warm light LED's with varying amount of individual led's. 48 individual led bulbs IMO tend to be as bright as a 20w halogen, the light isn't quite as Yellow as the halogen but I actually prefer that.

It might pay to buy a mix. I would suggest though any bulb with under 30 led's won't be as bright as a halogen unless they're some kind of extra bright spec. I have several each of 24 led 30 led 38 led and 48 led the brightest 48 in the galley for cooking and in the bathroom.

We do have a regulated 12v supply as we originally bought led's 10 years ago, at that time though we weren't aware that these early LED bulbs were voltage sensitive, after several failed, we later regulated the 12v lighting system. Now though most led bulbs can accept voltages 12 to 30v so try to make sure 12 to 30v is in the spec before you purchase if you have no regulation.

SMD's might be brighter, I'm not too sure. I want to try out SMD but have so many LED's I'll have to stick with them for now.

Hi,

I purchased these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2W-G4-LED-Light-SMD-5730-Camper-Bulb-Boat-Car-Home-Garden-DC-10-30V-Cool-white-/261368903256?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item3cdaccf658

10 to 30volts very bright and they do warm and cool white £1.65 each

been in use a couple of months now my charging voltage is 14.8v and they work fine with this

Ray

You should have gone to Bedazzled below Buckby Locks, best info and products.

Do Bedazzled manufacture LED's or buy them from China?

I purchased 6 of those above direct from China delivered for the cost of one from Bedazzled

I also have 30ish Far East ebay leds working in the boat and motorhome with one failure in 7 years

Choice is a great thing

Ray

If 30v just scrapes it, what can be done to isolate the lighting system during an equalise? Is this something I should plan for at this early stage, or can I just carry on with basic wiring and then easily isolate/protect the system from +30v at a later date?

You don't need to isolate anything, just don't turn the lights on whilst you are doing the equalise. Whilst exceeding their rated voltage is a "bad thing", I doubt they would go phut with just a few volts over for a few minutes even if you did turn them on by accident.

You don't need to isolate anything, just don't turn the lights on whilst you are doing the equalise. Whilst exceeding their rated voltage is a "bad thing", I doubt they would go phut with just a few volts over for a few minutes even if you did turn them on by accident.

Ahh, OK, simple as that...many thanks!

So, 6 year old early to bed, and candlelit dinner with the wife on equalise nights! :)