Trouble finding the right cooker

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

I'm back on the subject of cookers again. I've searched caravan suppliers, swindleries and high street store websites and I am finding it very difficult to find a cooker to replace my old Vanette. Here are my requirements:

• Freestanding
  • Twin cavity
  • 12v Ignition
  • LPG
  • Flame failure device
  • No more that 50cm wide
  • Black / grey / stainless steel colour (definitely not white or green!)

The only ones I've found that meet my spec are white and new, green and second hand or single cavity. There are lots that are built-in only and not freestanding - and that's no good for my set up either. And most are 55cm wide and over. I don't know enough about LPG conversion kits or how to change 240v ignition to 12v ignition (I don't want to spend the next 15 years lighting the thing by hand) to be able to choose from domestic cookers and I would have to add the cost of paying a boatyard to change it all over for me to the cost of the cooker if I went down that route.

Can anyone please recommend some cookers that meet my spec? They must exist. if you know where to look.

Good luck…..Ive been looking for similar for a while now and failing….found a couple that have 240v ignition but although 12v ignition units are available the cookers I have found look like they will need quite a bit of pulling apart to fit.

Cheers

Gareth

I'm back on the subject of cookers again. I've searched caravan suppliers, swindleries and high street store websites and I am finding it very difficult to find a cooker to replace my old Vanette. Here are my requirements:

• Freestanding
  • Twin cavity
  • 12v Ignition
  • LPG
  • Flame failure device
  • No more that 50cm wide
  • Black / grey / stainless steel colour (definitely not white or green!)

The only ones I've found that meet my spec are white and new, green and second hand or single cavity. There are lots that are built-in only and not freestanding - and that's no good for my set up either. And most are 55cm wide and over. I don't know enough about LPG conversion kits or how to change 240v ignition to 12v ignition (I don't want to spend the next 15 years lighting the thing by hand) to be able to choose from domestic cookers and I would have to add the cost of paying a boatyard to change it all over for me to the cost of the cooker if I went down that route.

Can anyone please recommend some cookers that meet my spec? They must exist. if you know where to look.

What new white ones have you found as that fits my needs and I'm looking to buy in the next fortnight

I think the Spinflo Caprice 2040 fits that description but regrettably at the usual marine mark-up.

Printed glass oven and grill door, printed obscured glass pan cavity, 4 burners.

I am not over impressed with the oven and it may drive a livaboard who likes cooking mad. Seems slow to me.

It is not free standing as such but in my case a "box" of white conti-board sorted it. If the aperture is only 50cm wide than I am sure it will sit in one or two battons.

What new white ones have you found as that fits my needs and I'm looking to buy in the next fortnight

It was an Indeset I think

I think the Spinflo Caprice 2040 fits that description but regrettably at the usual marine mark-up.

Printed glass oven and grill door, printed obscured glass pan cavity, 4 burners.

I am not over impressed with the oven and it may drive a livaboard who likes cooking mad. Seems slow to me.

It is not free standing as such but in my case a "box" of white conti-board sorted it. If the aperture is only 50cm wide than I am sure it will sit in one or two battons.

Unfortunately it's 513mm wide, or so one of the websites says

There's quite a few that are designed for yachts that would fit, look at somewhere like Marine Megastore or Force 4, but you will probably have to make do with 3 burners max. if you can manage with two burners there are a few to choose from, Nelson and Smev do them in 45mm width IIRC..

Thanks. But I've looked at those and they won't fit the space my old cooker comes out of as they are significantly smaller and differently proportioned. And so I'd have to do a load of building to my galley.

I just want a normal proper cooker. Four ring hob. Separate grill and oven. Just normal!

If they don't exist any more, which seems crazy, then please can someone advise me on what exactly to purchase to convert a domestic cooker to LPG and ignition to 12v? I'd then have to ask the local boatyard what it would cost for them to make all the changes to it if they know how to of course.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Unfortunately it's 513mm wide, or so one of the websites says

I have a Caprice mk3 which is also not free standing, as Tony stated for the 2040. However, it fits into a 500mm wide space and the top is wider at 513mm due to the "hotplate side trim" which is just a thin strip of metal. Perhaps this is the same for the 2040 model and therefore why the width is given as 513mm.

Why not call the manufacturer 0114 273 8157 ?

I have a Caprice mk3 which is also not free standing, as Tony stated for the 2040. However, it fits into a 500mm wide space and the top is wider at 513mm due to the "hotplate side trim" which is just a thin strip of metal. Perhaps this is the same for the 2040 model and therefore why the width is given as 513mm.

Why not call the manufacturer 0114 273 8157 ?

Just checked the spec of the latest model mk3 :

Spinflo 12V Caprice 2040 Cooker

Standard Features

The Caprice includes a pan cupboard

Fitted with a Flame Failure Device (FFD)

Fittings are brushed aluminium

Accessories included: Grill pan & trivett, baking tray, roasting tin, oven shelf

4 domestic quality cooker burners and 1 oven burner

12V spark ignition

Seperate grill

Easy to install

Lower storage door

Height 844mm, width 513mm, depth 500mm.

Oven capacity 36 litres

Weight 27.5 kgs

Internal light

Looks exactly the same as mine except for the colour!

If they don't exist any more, which seems crazy, then please can someone advise me on what exactly to purchase to convert a domestic cooker to LPG and ignition to 12v?

Aren't most domestic gas cookers readily convertible to LPG? I think it only involves a change of the jets, which should be readily available from the manufacturer.

Could you use one of those small 150W inverters to power a 240V igniter?

Just checked the spec of the latest model mk3 :

Spinflo 12V Caprice 2040 Cooker

Standard Features

The Caprice includes a pan cupboard

Fitted with a Flame Failure Device (FFD)

Fittings are brushed aluminium

Accessories included: Grill pan & trivett, baking tray, roasting tin, oven shelf

4 domestic quality cooker burners and 1 oven burner

12V spark ignition

Seperate grill

Easy to install

Lower storage door

Height 844mm, width 513mm, depth 500mm.

Oven capacity 36 litres

Weight 27.5 kgs

Internal light

Looks exactly the same as mine except for the colour!

internal light? On a 12v ignition cooker?

Have they you had a look on the Appliances Direct website they might do one detective.gif

Yes and that's by far the best website for searching by type. However the descriptions aren't consistent some say LPG convertible but most don't state that at all. Only a few state there's a flame failure device (although maybe more have them and the site is selective whether it mentions it or not). And only one was non 240v ignition (battery). Those that are 240v I'd need to be sure didn't use lights or electronic displays too.

So I'd still need to do a whole lot of digging. Shame they don't make all their descriptions comparable. And shame no swindlers stock freestanding 12v gas cookers of less than 55-60cm. :angry: you'd think they didn't want to make the transaction of customers prepared to hand them £400-£700 easy!

So here's the research I'd done on 50cm wide gas cookers in not white and that appear to be freestanding:

1. Hotpoint HAG51K 50cm Twin Cavity battery ignition. Need to check flame failure and LPG kit compatible

2. Hotpoint HUG52G Ultima 50cm Double Oven Gas Cooker in Graphite (HUG52G)

Already states LPG convertible but need to check oven doesn't need light or other use of 240v and that ignition can be changed to 12v or battery

3. New World 500SIDLm 50cm Twin Cavity Gas Cooker (444440027)

Has flame failure device. Need to check for LPG convertibility and change mains ignition for battery or 12v. Need to be sure has no other electricity drawing features

4. Indesit IT50GM 50cm Twin Cavity Gas Cooker in Silver (IT50GM)

Includes LPG conversion kit and flame failure device. Need to check mains ignition can be converted to 12v or battery and does not require any other electricity to be drawn.

So I still have to do lots more enquiring to just get comparable data on these few. :(

edited to add I've just read on Curry's website that cooker number 1 cannot be converted to LPG. :angry: So it's clearly not an option for all cookers. And cooker number 2 uses 240v electricity to run a fan as well as ignition. So that one is also now ruled out. :( Cooker number 3 also cannot be converted to LPG. :rolleyes:

So I'm down to only one option, the Indesit and that's 240v ignition. I'd need to find a way to change that without using a plug in standard inverter as resetting low voltage sulking inverters and putting up with the warning beep of low voltage when I come home late from work and want to cook some supper will drive me to distraction. (No comments about voltage drop thanks. It's something I accept 5 days a week because the hours I work prevent me from running the engine in sociable hours)

**Rocks silently back and forth in cooker-induced despair**

I suggest that you actually measure a Caprice. That 513mm may be the overall width but it has a sort of flange either side of the top and possibly down the front that is designed to sit on and against the surrounding woodwork. It could well fit into a 500mm gap.

If one side is to fit against a bulkhead then I agree it may be too wide but its worth having a look and measure.

When we replaced the cooker on Copperkins (a shared boat) a few years ago, we asked the boatyard we were at at the time to fit it for us and although it met all our requirements (identical to BSPs) it had 240v igniting. The yard removed the 12v lighting "bit" from the old cooker and used that for the new cooker so I don't think it is too big a job (especially if you have the old cooker to take the bits from). Unfortunately, I am not on the boat so can't remember what make etc the cooker is (it is grey) but we got it from Midland Chandlers and if they don't have one suitable it suggests that it is no longer made. The yard had never swapped igniters on cookers before but we agreed that they would try it and if it didn't work, we would use a manual igniter. It worked!

So, perhaps speak to a boatyard about swapping the igniters over.

haggis.

Basically I think that gas cookers (new ones) have now moved on, to such an extent that almost all are going to have 240V ignition. Thus, the only choices are:

- secondhand

- adapt a new cooker to have a 12V ignition

Our boat has the original, non-flame failure on hobs/grill (FFD on oven only) cooker and when we did the BSS we were asked if its the original. It also doesn't have electronic ignition, so we need to use one of those wand igniters.

Maybe one day we'll re-do the kitchen on the boat and will also have to "commit" to 240V supplying the electronic ignition, but for now, the original does its job. Also if this is the case, will look closely at a built in unit if it suits the plans.

That looks bang on! As long as the dimensions don't turn out to be a misprint.

Aren't most domestic gas cookers readily convertible to LPG? I think it only involves a change of the jets, which should be readily available from the manufacturer.

Could you use one of those small 150W inverters to power a 240V igniter?

Conversion to LPG may be easy in theory but for a low volume market not all manufacturers are going to go to the expense of CE testing etc a LPG modification. In this case the manufacturer will not offer a LPG jetting kit.

Further, domestic cookers 500 wide 'tend' to be 600mm deep unlike boat/caravan cookers so still may not fit.

The 12v ignition is probably the best thing to compromise on as you say. A tiny inverter for £20 will happily run a 240vac igniter and cause virtually zero battery drain even if left ON 24/7.

MtB.

That's a good find! But the price is a bit steep compared to other gas cookers, For example its £550 vs my previous suggestion at £248 (possibly + LPG conversion bits?). That extra £300 or so could be used to get the boat's mains power up to scratch. There's no reason it should be possible using a decent amount of solar panels and a decent small inverter (or a larger inverter but it being put to other uses too) to have the domestic batteries looked after.

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/hag51k/hotpoint-hag51k-gas-cooker#maindesc and http://www.yourspares.co.uk/parts/hotpoint/cookers-and-ovens/hag51k/parts/ys140592/hotpoint-hag51k-jets-kit-for-lpg-de-fendi-C00273303.aspx any use?

(That's links to a Hotpoint HAG51K and an LPG jet kit).

I suggest that you actually measure a Caprice. That 513mm may be the overall width but it has a sort of flange either side of the top and possibly down the front that is designed to sit on and against the surrounding woodwork. It could well fit into a 500mm gap.

If one side is to fit against a bulkhead then I agree it may be too wide but its worth having a look and measure.

Three sides fit against walls and bulkheads. I don't want to remodel my kitchen. If I could understand what sort of structure a built in cooker has to be fixed on or to, it'd help to see whether it's something achievable with my kitchen layout that won't cost me the earth to pay someone to do.

My current cooker is freestanding. I expect for a reason. So I'm trying to replace like for like. Maybe that's not necessary?

Thanks. I've looked at this site already then researched on other sites about this model.

All the other websites say this model is not freestanding and is 513mm wide. So I suspect it's a misprint or not been measured at the widest point

Is the 2040 model a freestanding one?

No it's not. It's built in only

That looks bang on! As long as the dimensions don't turn out to be a misprint.

Conversion to LPG may be easy in theory but for a low volume market not all manufacturers are going to go to the expense of CE testing etc a LPG modification. In this case the manufacturer will not offer a LPG jetting kit.

Further, domestic cookers 500 wide 'tend' to be 600mm deep unlike boat/caravan cookers so still may not fit.

The 12v ignition is probably the best thing to compromise on as you say. A tiny inverter for £20 will happily run a 240vac igniter and cause virtually zero battery drain even if left ON 24/7.

MtB.

600mm deep is fine. My current cooker is 500x600

Further to my quesion above about how to install a built-in cooker, if it's possible with my galley layout, here's a photo of how the current cooker is fitted:

gallery_1920_193_56657.jpg

This is an oooold photo from when I bought the boat. But the way the cooker stands in that nook remains the same.

YouTube is failing me on "how to install a built in cooker" to try and work out whether it's even possible. :unsure:

Further to my quesion above about how to install a built-in cooker, if it's possible with my galley layout, here's a photo of how the current cooker is fitted:

gallery_1920_193_56657.jpg

This is an oooold photo from when I bought the boat. But the way the cooker stands in that nook remains the same.

YouTube is failing me on "how to install a built in cooker" to try and work out whether it's even possible. unsure.png

The Spinflow Caprice won't fit in that kitchen as it needs a flat surface either side for the lip which extends the width from 500 to 513mmm.