RED weather warning for the North West

Featured Posts

Lucky that you're in the North East and that I'm in the East East!

Those in the threatened area should stock up on candles and coal.

We are set to cop the very top end of the amber warning rather than the full force of the red, so we are expecting it to be bad but not as bad as across the Pennines.

We are in the east but we have stocked up with torches and candles for the house hunkering down, just topped up the oil tank. Our marina has confirmed they are checking boats daily and adjusting ropes if required. Stay safe people

We are set to cop the very top end of the amber warning rather than the full force of the red, so we are expecting it to be bad but not as bad as across the Pennines.

It won't be balmy here, but it won't go barmy either: winds of about 25 mph are forecast and in fact as I look out of my office window I can see the Wind Speed Indicator (alias our eucalyptus tree)beginning to wave its branches about.

Anyone in the NW with anything to do outdoors had best get it done in the immediate future and then retreat indoors if that's feasible. I've already laid the stove and got coal and wood in for this evening.

Edited by Athy

Thanks Martin -- we were off boating this afternoon for a few days but it would seem wise to leave it 24 hours. They don't issue red warnings for nothing.

and thanks Athy too - didn't realise Norfolk was getting it as well. I can't see my indicator tree from my office!

Mach, I am touching wood as I speak/ type, but although we have had plenty of rain and some fairly high winds in the Fens, the well developed system of drains (many of them big enough to be navigable) means that flooding is very unlikely. A river runs past the end of our garden (as seen on my avatar), and its level does not appear to have altered over the last few weeks.

Mach, I am touching wood as I speak/ type, but although we have had plenty of rain and some fairly high winds in the Fens, the well developed system of drains (many of them big enough to be navigable) means that flooding is very unlikely. A river runs past the end of our garden (as seen on my avatar), and its level does not appear to have altered over the last few weeks.

I know the Fens quite well, having made some small contribution to the landscape views over the last 10-15 years, but they seem to have the great advantage over the SW in that (a) there are no hills anywhere near, and (B) the drains were engineered properly in the first place! Hope the river behaves itself.

Another reason for our postponed trip according to the memsahib -- if a tree is going to come down on top of the boat, she'd rather not be inside.

It was wet & windy, very strong but not exceptional, here an hour ago, I'd resigned myself to a day inside, but now the wind has dropped & the sun is shining!

I don't suppose it'll last long, they say the worst is likely to be this evening, but I'll make the most of it while it does.

Tim

It was wet & windy, very strong but not exceptional, here an hour ago, I'd resigned myself to a day inside, but now the wind has dropped & the sun is shining!

I don't suppose it'll last long, they say the worst is likely to be this evening, but I'll make the most of it while it does.

Tim

Eye of the storm?

Phil

I know the Fens quite well, having made some small contribution to the landscape views over the last 10-15 years.

What did you do? Plant trees? Design buildings? Knock buildings down? erect wind turbines? You have got me guessing (as you can see).

We will probably get a 30 second mention on the BBC news should anything happen unlike the 20mins out of 30 devoted to the floods in the south.

We had to have a little chuckle when when we were in the pub watching the news and a reporter in Dishcot or Disholt or summat like that pointed to the flooding behind him were it was barely coming over the kerbs. One of the lads said "bloody hell, thats just a heavy dew compared to what we get when it floods round here".

By the way i do have sympathy for them that are flooded out at the moment. We do know what its like.

Were you involved with the ones near Upwell, about a dozen of them? Mrs. Athy loves watching them (they are in our middle-distant view) and finds them soothing. She is cross that this winter some thoughtless farmer has built a bluudy great haystack in the field across the river from us, obscuring her view of most of the turbines.

Mrs Athy wants to try standing underneath one some time - or rather she doesn't!!!!! They are awful for anyone within earshot while they are turning.

We had to operate a time control t the end of the Myherin stage on WRGB a couple of years ago under the turbines on the ridge and after a few hours, the constant whooomph - whooomph - whooomph really does get on both t*ts big-time! sick.giffrusty.gif

Were you involved with the ones near Upwell, about a dozen of them? Mrs. Athy loves watching them (they are in our middle-distant view) and finds them soothing. She is cross that this winter some thoughtless farmer has built a bluudy great haystack in the field across the river from us, obscuring her view of most of the turbines.

Yes, those among others.