Folding bicycle

George Kennedy

Featured Posts

Hi,

I'm thinking about maybe buying a folding bike and wondered if the honourable members of the forum would like to share their experiences and opinions on the matter. I was surprised at the range available on the Halfords website.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_165577_langId_-1

The price range is wide but that doesn't concern me too much as the company that I work for are taking part in a government scheme that means there is tax relief and the money is paid over a 12 month period.

All views welcome.

George

Hi,

I'm thinking about maybe buying a folding bike and wondered if the honourable members of the forum would like to share their experiences and opinions on the matter. I was surprised at the range available on the Halfords website.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_165577_langId_-1

The price range is wide but that doesn't concern me too much as the company that I work for are taking part in a government scheme that means there is tax relief and the money is paid over a 12 month period.

All views welcome.

George

The Dahon bikes are very well made and the small wheel folders are a breeze to fold/unfold quickly.

They are surprisingly heavy but they fold down to a very small size.

The small wheels are not good on anything other than smooth tarmac or concrete, which can be an issue on the towpath.

Bigger wheeled Dahon folders can be had but of course their fold down size is harder to store on a boat.

We bought one from Halfords a couple of years ago - looks a bit like the Apollo Tuck, but was called 'Swift' by Raleigh. Cost was about £180.

It was, and still is, absolute crap. First time we (me!) folded it up, the mechanism for holding it together just disintegrated. It now does not really fold up, but sits in the well deck - sometimes I chain it up, sometimes I don't in the hope some deluded idiot will steal it. Only problem is the thief won't get far!

Buy the best one you can afford, and insure it. As stated, Brompton are probably king of folders.

Brompton are probably the most expensive....

Does that make them the best???

I doubt it.

I would urge any one considering a small wheel folder to check out a Dahon before making their buying decision.

Apart from being probably the most expensive, Brompton will give you a very compact folder, but with only a 16" wheel size.

Dahons come in a variety of wheel sizes, but the 20" wheel models are the most commonly seen.

It depends where you want to use it most, but a very small wheel size is not generally the best for use on uneven, and possibly pot-holed tow-paths.

Horses for course, I think - if I wanted a very compact bike I could use to take on a train and into the office, I'd probably splash out on a Brompton, but for a compromise between use on road, and more "off road" situations, then I distinctly prefer something with a 20" wheel size.

We have 2 Dahons, and are very pleased with them, but new they are a lot more expensive than most of what you'll find in Halfords. You tend to get what you pay for, and a £200 folder is never going to be as good as one costing double that, but I realise not everybody wants to spend a lot on a bike for occasional use.

Brompton are probably the most expensive....

Does that make them the best???

I doubt it.

I would urge any one considering a small wheel folder to check out a Dahon before making their buying decision.

Keeping jobs in Britain could be a consideration to some.

I believe that Brompton hold certain patents that prevent their competitors from doing the job properly

Keeping jobs in Britain could be a consideration to some.

I believe that Brompton hold certain patents that prevent their competitors from doing the job properly

Indeed. Some may not be able to afford to be so principled though.

Plus how much is actually made in britain rather than imported and assembled here?

Edited by The Dog House

We have two Bromptons on the boat and find them to be excellent for almost all applications. It is true that they can be a challenge on badly potholed towpaths where a larger wheeled bike would do better, but as we tend to use them primarily for shopping and exploration trips away from the canal on roads etc they are excellent, and their foldability is second to none, we get both of them comfortably inside a cupboard which is basicly a 2ft cube.

As for construction, I cannot comment upon other makes, but the Brompton is built like a tank, and for those who are patriotic, are built in the UK (although some parts may come from abroad).

As a postscript, our son worked part time in the Bath Bike Shop from the age of 14 until he left College, he has seen most folding bikes and recommended the Brompton as the best make, with the possible exception of the (very expensive) Moultons

Edited by David Schweizer

Sorry Pete but for that price I bet its utter crap...

Now now, as long as it does the job OK then it'll meet some peoples needs.

The reviews aren't too bad considering, if you leave it chained in town for ages next to a Brompton at least it's more likely to be there when you get back, and less heartache IF it disappears. :)

How much is a Dahon BTW?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Pete, you do get what you pay for. My wife was riding our cheapo folder along the towpath, and the gubbins stopping it folding just failed. Fortunately she fell off towards the hedge rather than in the cut, but it did teach me to always have a camera handy.

Instead of a folding bike, consider a lightweight mountain bike with a quick-release front wheel. I can stow mine easily in the forward well deck by slipping off the front wheel and propping the forks against a locker lid. Takes maybe 30 seconds from riding to stowed. For the great majority of towpaths I've encountered - muddy and rough - a small-wheeled bike would be unusable.

As a postscript, our son worked part time in the Bath Bike Shop from the age of 14 until he left College, he has seen most folding bikes and recommended the Brompton as the best make, with the possible exception of the (very expensive) Moultons

Moultons are not folding bikes, a popular misconception.

Bromptons are popular with train commuters but they are no good for towpaths.

If you want a folder the Dahon range is the best compromise but I would just buy a cheap secondhand "rigid" mountain bike or hybrid off ebay. Most serious buyers want suspension these days so there are scores of bargains to be had. If you learn how to take the wheels off and forego mudguards they don't take up much space and you won't be too worried about having it stolen.

Moultons are not folding bikes, a popular misconception.

Bromptons are popular with train commuters but they are no good for towpaths.

If you want a folder the Dahon range is the best compromise but I would just buy a cheap secondhand "rigid" mountain bike or hybrid off ebay. Most serious buyers want suspension these days so there are scores of bargains to be had. If you learn how to take the wheels off and forego mudguards they don't take up much space and you won't be too worried about having it stolen.

Ok not folding, but definitely collapsible, although more unwieldy than a Brompton.

Edited by David Schweizer