Another BMC glow plug question.

pete.i

Featured Posts

I have noticed that the set of glow plugs that I recently bought for my BMC did not have any copper sealing washers with them. The old ones that I took out also did not have copper washers on them. The shorter glow plugs that go directly into the cylinder, (not for old BMC engines) as opposed to the BMC ones that go into a combustion chamber, do have copper washers with them.

My question. Do I need copper washers with my longer BMC glow plugs and if not does anyone know why the shorter ones need copper washers and the longer BMC ones do not.

Pete

Do they seal onto a tapered face?

Richard

No I don't think they do now you mention it at least the edge of the glow plug that mates with the block is not tapered I haven't had a good look at the block face to be honest but I would think that that will be square to the glow plug. I would think that that is the answer though. Thanks for that RWLP.

Pete

I have noticed that the set of glow plugs that I recently bought for my BMC did not have any copper sealing washers with them. The old ones that I took out also did not have copper washers on them. The shorter glow plugs that go directly into the cylinder, (not for old BMC engines) as opposed to the BMC ones that go into a combustion chamber, do have copper washers with them.

My question. Do I need copper washers with my longer BMC glow plugs and if not does anyone know why the shorter ones need copper washers and the longer BMC ones do not.

Pete

This does not make a lot of sense to me. AS far as I know all BMC glowplugs go into the pre-combustion chamber in the head, be it on 1.5s, 1.8s, 2.2s, or 2.5s.

The only differences as far as the 1.5/1.8 are concerned is are the plugs the thin "pin" type more often found on a 1.5 or the more modern "thick" ones found on most modern cars and the 1.8. I thought both types sealed by a taper on the end of the threaded section. - that is unless anyone has fitted one with a shorter thread, then they may have tried to make it seal with a copper washer between the body (just below the hexagon) and the block. However that would be hard on the modern type.

This does not make a lot of sense to me. AS far as I know all BMC glowplugs go into the pre-combustion chamber in the head, be it on 1.5s, 1.8s, 2.2s, or 2.5s.

The only differences as far as the 1.5/1.8 are concerned is are the plugs the thin "pin" type more often found on a 1.5 or the more modern "thick" ones found on most modern cars and the 1.8. I thought both types sealed by a taper on the end of the threaded section. - that is unless anyone has fitted one with a shorter thread, then they may have tried to make it seal with a copper washer between the body (just below the hexagon) and the block. However that would be hard on the modern type.

I think you may have misunderstood Tony or I haven't explained it well. The old ones that I took out did not have copper washers and the new ones I bought and fitted didn't have copper washers. A friend of mine, who is a diesel mech but modern stuff, wondered where the copper washers were for my glow plugs. When I checked the pictures of modern glow plugs, i.e. the short ones, they come with copper washers. I was wondering why mine didn't have washers but it would seem that the BMC glow plugs don't need copper washers because they fit against a flat face on the block. I have to admit, though, that I haven't looked at the face on my block to see if that is true.

Pete

Pete, my main query is the bit about the plugs going into the cylinder because they do not. All of then go into the pre-combustion chamber. The main reason I commented on this is that I id not want you to continue to think/talk about them going into the cylinder. If they did they would have to be in the block, not the head.

It seem that both Richard and myself think they fit against a taper on the end of the thread. We could both be wrong but unless Tim, Albion etc. comes in to contradict you can draw your own conclusions.

Cheers

Agree with Tony and Richard. I'm sure that there is no copper washer involved, only the taper at the bottom of the heater glow plug body. This video below shows the guy changing the earlier (thin) plug on a 1.5 BMC and you will see that there are no copper washers. And, as Tony mentions, the plug only goes into the pre-chamber as these engines are IDI (indirect injection) rather than DI (direct injection).

http://youtu.be/K4rTfRx82e8

If you look at the glow plug that the guy leaves alone to the left of the one he is removing you can see that the larger diameter part of the plug body doesn't actually touch the face of the boss into which it screws. that's because it is on the taper further into the head.

This link shows those early plugs; no copper washer.

http://www.asap-supplies.com/marine/glow-plugs/champion-ch32-heater-glow-plug-131050

and this link shows the later thicker diameter plugs and in this picture you can more easily make out the taper at the bottom of the body.

http://www.asap-supplies.com/marine/glow-plugs/glow-plug-later-bmc1800-only-132050

Hope this helps.

Roger

Okay thanks for that everyone. I didn't think there should have been washers on the BMC type glow plugs and there certainly weren't any on the old plugs. But the diesel mechanic mate of mine asked where the washers were and that prompted me to ask the question.

Pete

Okay thanks for that everyone. I didn't think there should have been washers on the BMC type glow plugs and there certainly weren't any on the old plugs. But the diesel mechanic mate of mine asked where the washers were and that prompted me to ask the question.

Pete

As I said, draw a suitable conclusion and be aware of it when offered future advice.. To be honest I can not think of any glowplugs that seat on a copper washer but there might be on an ancient engine. However they would not be likely to use such things.