BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

This year, on Saturday 24 and Sunday 25th May 2014

Ok, i'm thinking of doing this!

When the list of 2014's events came out i'd worked out all the ones i could get to on a continuous journey this year. Having had a re-check of my work rota for this year i've spotted a cock up and due to my shist pattern i can't make any of the ones i'd hoped to (Rickmansworth, SB Gala etc). So i've had a re-think and it only leavs me with Foxton and the BCN 24hr challenge, something i've always thought sounded great fun. I've spent the last few days thinking about it and the more i do, the more serious i get about doing it.

So i'm after some advice from the BCN regulars please!

Could i do this worst case single handed? I appreciate that i'd come last and not get very far at all, but it would be fun taking part eh?

I've never been off the lower GU yet so have no practical knowledge or experience of the BCN although i've read about it in a lot of books and always vowed to go exploring there this year. Taking part in the challenge would satisfy that desire. Can the BCN challenge be done with just a Nicholsons and Google Maps?

I've read through the threads on previous challenges and i'd guess the answers to my questions are NO. It does sound like tremendous fun though and my appetitie has been well and truley wetted!

So this leads me on to crew.....

If i am to enter, would anybody be interested in crewing for a stranger?! It wouldn't be the most luxurious 24hrs as i only have a trad back cabin and a small saloon floor. I'm willing to give that up for volunteers though as i can sleep in a tent on the towpath or i reckon about 6 can sleep side by side in sleeping bags under the tug deck!

If i'm to recruit a crew, how many do i need? I think it would be important to have someone with BCN knowledge as i see there are questions to be answered. Also a BCN expert would probably become the 'stratergist' and become very important in the route planning stage. Also someone who knows their way round a Petter PH2 would be an advantage for any mechanical problems.

I'm quite happy to enter for 'fun' on my own with every intention of coming last or if i can gather a suitable crew my competive side will come out and and we can make a go of it. At 33 it would be nice to get a crew of 'young pretenders'.

Failing all of the above and it not coming together, i'd like to offer my services as crew for someone else.

Edited by DHutch
Event dates added

To echo the advice usually given by RLWP...

Remember you will need to equip your boat with a 6" gun on the tug deck and your crew with side arms as the canalside locals in Brum are known to be unfriendly <insert tongue in cheek smiley smile.png >

Seriously, its great fun. Do it!

But beware of The Count lurking in the Gosty Hill Tunnel ohmy.png

Would recommend the Pearson guide,'Stourport Ring' rather than the Nikkies.

Hhmmmmmmmmmm.

Tempted?

To echo the advice usually given by RLWP...

Remember you will need to equip your boat with a 6" gun on the tug deck and your crew with side arms as the canalside locals in Brum are known to be unfriendly <insert tongue in cheek smiley smile.png >

Seriously, its great fun. Do it!

But beware of The Count lurking in the Gosty Hill Tunnel ohmy.png

Would recommend the Pearson guide,'Stourport Ring' rather than the Nikkies.

To be honest i don't need much encouragment, i've decided i want to do it. It'll hinge on crew i think as a newbie single handing round the BCN could come unstuck at 3am in some of the less attractive parts of Brum. I remember going to Wolves a few seasons back as an away fan on a dark damp Tuesday night and thinking 'Never again!'.

I'm also mindful of the fact that you can take the boy out of the military, but can't take the military out of the boy, and that could end up as some sort of operation with uniform, compass, tactics, war paint, weapons etc!!

Are the full rules / scoring system published anywhere? Can't find em.

I've had a look through threads from previous years to get a rough idea of rules/format but I haven't seen the points system published anywhere. It says on the website that after entry you are sent a pack up that contains all info needed.

Are the full rules / scoring system published anywhere? Can't find em.

Leave paddle up, dont bother closing gates, get someone setting 5 locks ahead even if someone else i coming the other way and basically don't give a Donald about any other canal users who are not involved in the challenge.

Rod. Who went up the 21 with a dodgy knee and a wife with a similar dodgy knee the same time as the challenge last year.laugh.pnglaugh.png

I have done it 3 times now, so here are my comments. By the way the application forms (must get mine sent off) and the rules are already out, they came out before Christmas.

What is not out and I assume will come with the sealed envelope as previous years is the planning sheet that shows you the point multipliers for each section, but the rules has the scoring scheme, eg the length bonus, which this year has been tweeked again to give more bonus to ex-working boats not just on pure length (not so good for Tawny...) They are determined to get Atlus and Malus to win biggrin.png.

If you have specific question on the rules I can try and answer them, not sure if would be good form to post the BCNS document though, as I don't think they have made if available on line, just to previous entrants.

My responses in red.

When the list of 2014's events came out i'd worked out all the ones i could get to on a continuous journey this year. Having had a re-check of my work rota for this year i've spotted a cock up and due to my shist pattern i can't make any of the ones i'd hoped to (Rickmansworth, SB Gala etc). So i've had a re-think and it only leavs me with Foxton and the BCN 24hr challenge, something i've always thought sounded great fun. I've spent the last few days thinking about it and the more i do, the more serious i get about doing it.

Could i do this worst case single handed? I appreciate that i'd come last and not get very far at all, but it would be fun taking part eh?

You will not come last, a certain member on here tries very hard to get that accolade. You do get additional points for single handing.

I've never been off the lower GU yet so have no practical knowledge or experience of the BCN although i've read about it in a lot of books and always vowed to go exploring there this year. Taking part in the challenge would satisfy that desire. Can the BCN challenge be done with just a Nicholsons and Google Maps?

Yes, but of course the more research you do the better plan you will have. Much of this is is the planning of the route beforehand to maximise your points.

I've read through the threads on previous challenges and i'd guess the answers to my questions are NO. It does sound like tremendous fun though and my appetitie has been well and truley wetted!

If i am to enter, would anybody be interested in crewing for a stranger?! It wouldn't be the most luxurious 24hrs as i only have a trad back cabin and a small saloon floor. I'm willing to give that up for volunteers though as i can sleep in a tent on the towpath or i reckon about 6 can sleep side by side in sleeping bags under the tug deck!

If i'm to recruit a crew, how many do i need? I think it would be important to have someone with BCN knowledge as i see there are questions to be answered. Also a BCN expert would probably become the 'stratergist' and become very important in the route planning stage. Also someone who knows their way round a Petter PH2 would be an advantage for any mechanical problems.

Clearly people have different approaches to crew numbers, and you do get bonus points, although not many, for smaller crews. If your plan involves a lot of locks, which it does not have to our first year with 2 of us I think it was only 18 locks over the 24 hours (and we came 6th), then personally I think you want to have 4 so that the boat never has to stop moving in a flight of locks, ie you have one each side to open double bottom gates, in the case where there are double ones, and one ahead that has the next lock set, plus one steering the boat of course. Perhaps I am giving too much away here though.

I'm quite happy to enter for 'fun' on my own with every intention of coming last or if i can gather a suitable crew my competive side will come out and and we can make a go of it. At 33 it would be nice to get a crew of 'young pretenders'.

The taking part is what counts, yea right.....

Failing all of the above and it not coming together, i'd like to offer my services as crew for someone else.

Edited by john6767

Thanks for the hints about the rules. I have to say that whilst the BCNS does some good stuff, they are let down by their website and the secret-squirrel attitude to this challenge.

It is a little irritating that you are not allowed to find out what you are entering until after you have entered it. Perhaps they only want those already in the clique to participate?

Anyway, we did our own "BCN Challenge" last year and never again.

Only joking, we really enjoyed it!

Edited by nicknorman

i would be up for crewing if you still need someone!

i dont smell or have any really nasty habits and am willing to work hard or not as required

i would be up for crewing if you still need someone.

i dont smell or have and nasty habits, let me know

Thanks for the hints about the rules. I have to say that whilst the BCNS does some good stuff, they are let down by their website and the secret-squirrel attitude to this challenge.

It is a little irritating that you are not allowed to find out what you are entering until after you have entered it. Perhaps they only want those already in the clique to participate?

Anyway, we did our own "BCN Challenge" last year and never again.

Only joking, we really enjoyed it!

If you want the entry form and the rules, why not email bcnschallenge at gmail.com and ask for them. That will then give you a very good idea what is involved, but not enough to make your actual route plan. If you enter, the rest of the info comes out at the end of Feb based on previous years.

Edited by john6767

Remember there are a always the 'unofficial' awards .......

• Largest number of trips down weedhatch.
  • Most bizarre item fished out of the cut.
  • Largest volume of crap removed from prop.
  • Longest time moored outside Manor Arms.
  • etc. etc.

smile.png

It might be worth going on the BCN Explorer cruise if your work pattern allows. We are doing the Explorer cruise A.

We also hope to be in the BCN challenge this year, so your chances of coming last are very slim.

If you want to know the rules/points and what the challenge is like I would like to refer you to the feature film "It's a Mad Mad Mad World"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sla845GW9YM

This is the point system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOFCT62C7YE

smile.png

Edited by Laurie.Booth

I could be interested in joining your crew, as this is an event I keep meaning to have a go at.

I'll have to see if it clashes with the Three Rivers Race though, as I'm determined to enter that in my own boat this year (I crewed for a friend in 2011, but haven't been able to take part for the last two years, and now I have an unfathomable longing to spend the night drifting somewhere along the lower Bure, waiting for the wind).

I wouldn't call myself an expert on the BCN, but I am a native Brummie, and have trodden quite a few of the towpaths in my youth.

• Longest time moored outside Manor Arms.

I may have to cede that title this year, as fitting in the required recuperation after all that heavy lifting may not be possible with this year's proposed finish at Hawne Basin. Sad face.

However, someone suggested a Sunday evening sojourn en-masse to Ma Pardoe's (perhaps even requisitioning their functiion room for this express purpose), so perhaps all is not lost. Happy face.