Tesco / Ocado / Sainsburys Grocery Pickup - Stoke Bruerne

Leo No2

Featured Posts

If you were able to order groceries online from Tesco / Ocado / Sainsbury and collect them in Stoke Bruerne (assuming of course Stoke Bruerne was in your cruising plan for the following day) for a service charge of £5 over and above the grocery company charge (collection between say 11:00 and 15:00 but dependant on delivery by grocery company) would that be of interest.

I am asking on behalf of a business in Stoke Bruerne just to see what kind of interest there is. I have no monetary interest in the business.

I believe that Tesco do their own deliveries these days so such a service would be superfluous.

Not sure about Sainsbury's.

Who are Ocado?

Ocado deliver for Waitrose, and now also for Morrisons in certain areas too (though I'm not sure this covers Stoke Bruerne just yet)

ed - though I see that Ocado also market themselves as a on line supermarket brand in their own right.

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/startWebshop.do

Edited by The Dog House

I believe that Tesco do their own deliveries these days so such a service would be superfluous.

Who are Ocado?

But they deliver to home addresses. I think the OP is suggesting a communal drop-off point for cruising boaters.

But they deliver to home addresses. I think the OP is suggesting a communal drop-off point for cruising boaters.

I believe Tesco also deliver to boats if you can provide a postcode they can find you at.

Who are Ocado?

Yes understand they can/will deliver to a boat but the idea, I understand, was to provide a service that meant your groceries were available 'on arrival'.

Yes understand they can/will deliver to a boat but the idea, I understand, was to provide a service that meant your groceries were available 'on arrival'.

But if you book a time slot with them and arrive (just) before then isn't that the same thing?

And what about perishables including frozen stuff? those vans have on board freezers and refrigeration so it passes direct between theirs and the customer cooling facilities. I presume this business would be making provision for this.

ed and provision for dealing with accepting or rejecting substitutions when something they haven't got in stock is replaced with a similar item.

Edited by The Dog House

If you were able to order groceries online from Tesco / Ocado / Sainsbury and collect them in Stoke Bruerne (assuming of course Stoke Bruerne was in your cruising plan for the following day) for a service charge of £5 over and above the grocery company charge (collection between say 11:00 and 15:00 but dependant on delivery by grocery company) would that be of interest.

I am asking on behalf of a business in Stoke Bruerne just to see what kind of interest there is. I have no monetary interest in the business.

Is there a limit on how many deliveries you can have a month? .....and is a quick stop and shop counted in for one of your visits.

I think this will NOT work as a business idea because of several reasons given above.

I can see someone is trying to get some ideas cooking and admire that.

Perhaps a postal receipt service might be better although poste restante is in place but no P.O. in S. Breurne.

The convenience of a boater passing through receiving his parcel/mail canalside for a small fee might be attractive.

Also a receiving address canalside for large items such as new fridge might also be handy.

Good luck to whoever is trying to be an entrepreneur in 2014.

I believe Tesco also deliver to boats if you can provide a postcode they can find you at.

They do - I've done it loads of times over the years. They're very flexible and will phone to confirm your location as they near the postcode. I've had had the drivers wheel sacktrucks of shopping up dark muddy towpaths right to the front door of my boat before. For which I tip generously if sneakily so they don't get in trouble for receiving cash or beer ;)

I don't think a middle man is required.

Edited by BlueStringPudding