South Oxford Canal br220 Shipton-on-Cherwell Flood Gate closed

pinkoi

Featured Posts

Unsurprisingly the river Cherwell is a bit wetter than usual and the flood gate at br220 on the South Oxford Canal is closed and has been since Xmas eve when CaRT came to shut it.
Hopefully anyone with any designs on going north have already abandoned hope of doing so for a while.

Shipton on Cherwell br220 Flood gate closed Jan 2014

This was it this morning.

Rather classic moment on Sunday morning when a flotilla? of about 20 rowers/canoeists who have probably been displaced from the flooded Thames decided to come for a jolly up the nice safe canal, only to be stopped by the gate! They didn't look too cheerful...

Hope this helps

biggrin.png

Now, I'm not familiar with all of this water management lark. But! Is the flood lock closed so that the level rises to allow an overflow to become active further up stream?

In this case the "upstream overflow" appears to be the towpath........

MP.

TBH that doesn't look like its holding much back!!

My instant impression too!

The cut around Enslow now has a flow on it of about 1/2 to 1mph, I'd estimate. The immediately adjacent river Cherwell is a torrent and only an ace away from overflowing into the canal.

Fortunately before it breaches the canal bank, it will first have to top up several hundred acres of flood plain on the other side, which it is enthusiastically filling right now....

MtB

Unsurprisingly the river Cherwell is a bit wetter than usual and the flood gate at br220 on the South Oxford Canal is closed and has been since Xmas eve when CaRT came to shut it.
Hopefully anyone with any designs on going north have already abandoned hope of doing so for a while.

This was it this morning.

Rather classic moment on Sunday morning when a flotilla? of about 20 rowers/canoeists who have probably been displaced from the flooded Thames decided to come for a jolly up the nice safe canal, only to be stopped by the gate! They didn't look too cheerful...

Hope this helps

biggrin.png

Portage

Now, I'm not familiar with all of this water management lark. But! Is the flood lock closed so that the level rises to allow an overflow to become active further up stream?

It would make sense to me.

What do I know.

It's the lesser of 2 evils, either they hold the water back slightly there so that it spills over into the field as it's doing, or, the canal further down over fills and it starts spilling over into the houses in thrupp and the lower bits of towpath along the thrupp moorings.

I admit it does look look like abit of a chocolate fire guard but it makes just about enough difference to be useful and slows the water enough for the weir at thrupp to be able to let water out fast enough to keep the level stable.

:)

It's the lesser of 2 evils, either they hold the water back slightly there so that it spills over into the field as it's doing, or, the canal further down over fills and it starts spilling over into the houses in thrupp and the lower bits of towpath along the thrupp moorings.

I admit it does look look like abit of a chocolate fire guard but it makes just about enough difference to be useful and slows the water enough for the weir at thrupp to be able to let water out fast enough to keep the level stable.

:)

So I was on the right track then? And this is why are suffering floods in areas that over the years have not been affected by heavy rains in the past, where the fields (flood plains) are taking water in this area there are buildings in other areas so there's nowhere for the oggin to go.

Martyn

The flood gate at Shipton has been there for many many years.

The canal above Shipton weir lock is a section of the river Cherwell. When the river floods it pours past the gates. The normal overspills at Thrupp and Roundham cannot cope with the volume of water flowing down the canal.

Without the flood gate being there, the level of the canal would rise until it breaches over the banks.

The result of this would be:

a. The domestic dwellings at Thrupp would go under water.

b. The pub would get flooded - absolutely not permitted

c. ......... and probably the real reason as to why the flood gate is there ....... the hydraulic pressure on the banks due to the high water levels would probably lead to a full breach of the canal.

Even with the current water pouring over the top od the gate, it sufficiently relieves the flow rate down the canal so that the overspills can cope

• Greenie 1

Thanks for that excellent explanation. Thought so. Smug smiley.

Where my brother lives very near Farnham, there is a lovely stream where you can take a walk in the summer sunshine. Occasionally in the winter it can overflow onto the surrounding meadows.

My brother tells me, in the ten years he has lived there he has never seen it so high. It may be coincidental that they have just build a small development of domestic housing on one of the meadows!

Martyn

There are 2 similar flood gates on the Loughborough section of the GU Leicester line/Soar navigation, at Top Lane bridge and Moorlane Bridge.

Pillings lock gates are closed, and at certain times these others are closed as well.

The upstream towpath is slightly higher, with lowered sections to channel excess flow to the meadows. When the floods happened last year, Pillings lock was inundated as someone from the EA hadn't opened the sluices and the first two sections flooded (including the Flood free marina). The flow and level was so high that the Moorlane bridge gate couldn't cope either and canalside flooding occued in Loughborough itself in many properties and sandbags were issued.

The result of this would be:

c. ......... and probably the real reason as to why the flood gate is there ....... the hydraulic pressure on the banks due to the high water levels would probably lead to a full breach of the canal.

PJ,

I hadn't thought of that aspect, but you are right. Especially as it was threatening to breach under normal circumstances a month or two ago.

I'm also glad to hear you have the availability of the services of the pub high up the list :) Even though we may all need to snorkel there on Friday :)

cheers.gif

Water level is much reduced now and one chap moored behind us heard from CaRT that the gate may be opened in the next day or so. Lets hope it doesn't rain too much more.

Having said that, I'm not sure what the situation will be like north of Shipton Wier Lock as I imagine the Cherwell it's self will still be quite exciting :)

Gate is now open but I know nothing of the Cherwell conditions but boats have moved from Shipton, but they may just be waiting at the weir lock

Never mind that.

We just need enough time for Dusty to get down between the floods and the canal freezing over laugh.png

Well yes, that too, It's very uncivilised having to move your own gas bottles wink.png

How's it looking today? (asked sitting listening to the rain drumming on the roof)

Is it down to CRT to know when various bits are passable? If I ring them will they have a handle on it?

Apologies if any of these are silly questions- first floods afloat!

How's it looking today? (asked sitting listening to the rain drumming on the roof)

Is it down to CRT to know when various bits are passable? If I ring them will they have a handle on it?

Apologies if any of these are silly questions- first floods afloat!

Hi,

The flood gate is open now but I'm not sure about the Cherwell conditions beyond Shipton Weir Lock. You could try asking CRT, but I don't know if/how often they send someone down to look at the lever markers for that stretch anyway.

I'd still be inclined to give it a few more days, the Cherwell is still quite big in places :)

I'm glad I didn't win my bid for a mooring that came up by Shipton church last year now, I was warned about towpath flooding on the mooring at the time!

It doesn't flood very often on the actual towpath side but the offside moorings by the church do end up with water pouring over from a stream when the ground is saturated but it only happens once or twice a year. Nothing a nice pair of wellies wouldn't fix :)

My instant impression too!

The cut around Enslow now has a flow on it of about 1/2 to 1mph, I'd estimate. The immediately adjacent river Cherwell is a torrent and only an ace away from overflowing into the canal.

Fortunately before it breaches the canal bank, it will first have to top up several hundred acres of flood plain on the other side, which it is enthusiastically filling right now....

MtB

Which is exactly what flood lains are for and why daft-arsed politicians should stop buidling on them (which is exactly what they are doing with the new estate being thrown up in Banbury!)

That's Banbury for you

Build on the flood plain then complain when it all floods

Build a flood relief scheme at vast cost to stop the flooding

Start building on the flood plain again

frusty.gif

It sort of makes you grateful that your home floats!

Edited by pinkoi

Hi,

The flood gate is open now but I'm not sure about the Cherwell conditions beyond Shipton Weir Lock. You could try asking CRT, but I don't know if/how often they send someone down to look at the lever markers for that stretch anyway.

I'd still be inclined to give it a few more days, the Cherwell is still quite big in places smile.png

We were very pleased to welcome the arrival of NB Dusty at Cropredy yesterday. Apparently he had quite a trip - but he battled through with our monthly supplies of Anthracite and Propane . . .