Bolinder 15hp measurements required for eccentric

Ian Mac

Featured Posts

Happy New year one and all,

Having reached the point where the engine is starting to get rather warm when running due to the general wear in all the eccentric components, the time has come for a bit of fettling.

Does anyone out there know, or know of someone, who would know, what the sizes for the eccentric drive on a 15hp bolinder actually are, particularly the offset of the crown to the keyway.

--

cheers Ian Mac

IIRC what I understand by the "Angular Offset" i.e. the angle between the crown of the eccentric and the crank pin is, of

necessity, Zero - otherwise running forward and running backward would have different timing profiles, if there is a difference

I would expect it to be only very small, and may be more down to wear than design - I can hear the difference on some engines

between forwards and reverse but I cant usually tell just by listening which way she's running (though many people can).

Reversible engines (many large 4 stroke marine diesels) AFAIK have a mechanism to adjust the valve & injection timing to

achieve reverse running and the engine will actually stop, before being restarted. a Direct Reversing engine such as a bolinder

doesnt change the timing and relys on bouncing off a half stroke to achieve engine reversal.

springy

IIRC what I understand by the "Angular Offset" i.e. the angle between the crown of the eccentric and the crank pin is, of

necessity, Zero - otherwise running forward and running backward would have different timing profiles, if there is a difference

I would expect it to be only very small, and may be more down to wear than design - I can hear the difference on some engines

between forwards and reverse but I cant usually tell just by listening which way she's running (though many people can).

Reversible engines (many large 4 stroke marine diesels) AFAIK have a mechanism to adjust the valve & injection timing to

achieve reverse running and the engine will actually stop, before being restarted. a Direct Reversing engine such as a bolinder

doesnt change the timing and relys on bouncing off a half stroke to achieve engine reversal.

springy

The Direct reversing Crossley 2-stroke that I work with is stopped and restarted, there are air valves and movable cams to achieve that.

The pump timing is more or less symmetrical, but there is fine adjustment available which does give a small imbalance between ahead and astern, because it's adjusted for optimum performance and economy in Ahead.

You're probably right though that the Bolinders timing will have been entirely symmetrical when built.

Tim

Tim

For what they're worth I now have some figures for the eccentric offset and thus the stroke (2 x offset)

However

offset

Stour 0.162 "

Ex Matty's Maureen 0.154 "

Peacock 0.150 "

These were taken during rebuilding of the ex mattys bolinder, this was also when changing the angular offset

was considered as a way of getting the injection timing right, that is until it was realised the adverse effect that

this would have on timing for the opposite rotation. I'm fairly convinced that the setting of the pump plunger will

accomodate the variations seen, though quite what they started off as is another question.

springy

For what they're worth I now have some figures for the eccentric offset and thus the stroke (2 x offset)

However

offset

Stour 0.162 "

Ex Matty's Maureen 0.154 "

Peacock 0.150 "

These were taken during rebuilding of the ex mattys bolinder,

springy

I Have always understood that Alfred Matty & Sons Ltd. motor MAUREEN was based on the former G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. Small Ricky ELECTRA (and renamed as ELECTRA when they sold it in 1982), and during their ownership was fitted with a Bolinder 1052 cold start diesel - and was still fitted in the late 1980's.

I Have always understood that Alfred Matty & Sons Ltd. motor MAUREEN was based on the former G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. Small Ricky ELECTRA (and renamed as ELECTRA when they sold it in 1982), and during their ownership was fitted with a Bolinder 1052 cold start diesel - and was still fitted in the late 1980's.

As I understood it the 15hp BM engine in the "Bolinder Shed" at BCLM was "ex matty's maureen", I do know that it came from matty's yard, but somehow via

Dewsbury & Proud (current occupants of matty's site) - any other suggestions welcome, It does in some ways seem a "bitsa" - none of the numbered parts

match, and the oil pump box looks to be the opposite hand.

springy

As I understood it the 15hp BM engine in the "Bolinder Shed" at BCLM was "ex matty's maureen", I do know that it came from matty's yard, but somehow via

Dewsbury & Proud (current occupants of matty's site) - any other suggestions welcome, It does in some ways seem a "bitsa" - none of the numbered parts

match, and the oil pump box looks to be the opposite hand.

springy

It could have come out of one of several motors or carrying tugs, and not necessarily one of 'Mattys', or may even have been a spare engine.

What parts are numbered, and what are the numbers (I have quite a few Bolinder semi numbers amongst my records which may help - you can PM me if you do not wish to print the numbers on this Forum).

• 1 month later...