Boat stuck on bank

Jparry

Featured Posts

Having finaly been able to get to where my boat is moored after the flooding at weybridge I have found the boat is stuck halfway on the bank with the water going down quite quickly .

Can anyone recomend someone who handles that kind of thing in the weybridge area, I am now also going to find how helpful my insurance company is .

You need an 8 - 10ft length of scaffold pole and you can lever it off.

It only takes an inch or two of baseplate to get stuck on something as the water receedes and it becomes impossible to push off. One would imagine the boat would just slip off, but 9 times out of 10 it won't!

Edited by blackrose

You need an 8ft length of scaffold pole and you can lever it off.

It only takes an inch or two of baseplate to get stuck on something as the water receedes and it becomes impossible to push off. One would imagine the boat would just slip off, but 9 times out of 10 it won't!

Already tried with a 10ft scaffold unfortunately water has dropped even more now so even more firmly beached .

will try to post a photo later

Already tried with a 10ft scaffold unfortunately water has dropped even more now so even more firmly beached .

will try to post a photo later

Difficult without actually seeing it, but if you get the pole near the point where it's stuck and put it between boat and bank and then push the pole upwards with your shoulder. Don't fall in or injure yourself of course!

Edited by blackrose

If you can get a vehicle in there (Land Rover, tractor, JCB) shove it in with a plank or beam used as a ram between the tractor or w.h.y. and the boat, or the JCB bucket etc. Even if at a frightening angle the boat (if a narrow boat) is highly unlikely to turn over. Narrow boats were very often launched sideways.

I guess you are stressed at the moment btu if you can post a photo or clarify the situation a bit more it might help people give more constructive comments.

If you can get on the boat safely block up any apertures (vents in hull, exhaust pipe etc.) Rags will do.

Thanks for all the replies, I Have been trying to upload pictures unsuccessfully I might add .

I have also been in touch with the insurance company ,they are sending a surveyor monday morning to see how it may be put back into the water

Back tomorrow.to check it is stable when all the water drains back .it does seem really stuck it is not just 1or 2 places it is stuck looks more than half is on the grass .

Just so as anyone who may be able to help knows where the boat is it is on the river section in Weybridge. On the picture below the red arrow points to the navigation and Town Lock and the blue arrow to the section the stranded boat is on. It is quite overgrown from memory and as it is river section the water levels will rise and fall very quickly as is the usual for the River Wey.

ETA: There is a road down the side on the left (as in the picture) which can take quite heavy equipment (e.g. lorry loaded with a JCB).

Weybridge.jpg

Edited by Leo No2

The trouble is once the flood had started the road down to the mooring quickly became flooded and by the time I learnt that there was any kind of problem

I really had only a couple of hours to do anything only now it is all over I know should have reacted so much quicker than I did I finally managed to get some waders today but by the time I got there it was to late .

that is virtually out of the water completely how far to the river in normal conditions? cant see an easy way out of that situation short of a crane or wait until completely out, jack up and put rollers / poles in to roll her back to the river

Part of it is overhanging the river really not to sure how much I will be able to see much more tomorrow as the whole level continues to fall . as some of the ground is made up of very soft ground so felt very wary of walking very near the stern .

There is no vehicle access opposite more or less a jungle it council owned I believe

Edited by Jparry

How wide is the river at the mooring place?

Maybe a good pull from a vehicle on the other side might do it,best to pull the stern.

From memory (it's getting older now!) I don't think you could wind anything over 30' up there anything else is, I think, one way in and the same way out as it were. So a rope across the river (at normal levels) should be quite possible.

Tirfor winch from a hire shop and an extra length of cable, chain and a couple of big shackles to reach a tree on the opposite bank. Tirfor winches are immensely powerful and should drag that back in quite easily.

Tirfor winch from a hire shop and an extra length of cable, chain and a couple of big shackles to reach a tree on the opposite bank. Tirfor winches are immensely powerful and should drag that back in quite easily.

To get the cable across the river tie a long string to something heavyish like a big old nut or small rock with a light rope tied to the string and the cable or chain tied to the rope. Chuck the weight across and pull the string, rope and cable across. Two of you would make the job easier.

To get the cable across the river tie a long string to something heavyish like a big old nut or small rock with a light rope tied to the string and the cable or chain tied to the rope. Chuck the weight across and pull the string, rope and cable across. Two of you would make the job easier.

And don't forget to hail any approaching boats!

MtB