Boat stuck on bank

Jparry

Featured Posts

Hi,

Sounds like a reasonable way of working, let the office wally's do their bit - it's the men on the ground who count - I was in a similar field for years.

hopefully the outcome in this instance will be satisfactory.

L

Indeed. I meant to include a comment to the effect that the insurance co are paying the assessor to submit his professional and informed opinion, so they are hardly going to ignore the opinion they just paid for, are they?!

MtB

I really don't think the Wey will flood that much again besides they have managed to open all the sluices now ,.they have said they will cover any problems found after the refloat ,they will leave the claim open until I am satisfied.all sounds good ,but that is the assessor talking the insurance company have still to ok it .I am a pessimist so am hoping it all goes to plan.

I really do think you have to be careful of the Wey. Very benign most of the time but it will flood very quickly and by the same token go down quickly as well which is probably the reason behind your boat getting caught with the front aground. Be vary wary of it. I've been at Send and been caught just a few hours after some very heavy rain. The catchment area for the Wey is huge and whilst it might not be raining in Weybridge if it is in Hampshire there's a strong chance that it will flood - if the upper reaches go into flood it is highly likely that the flood condition will make its way down the navigation. Please do keep an eye on this web site (it's your bible as far as the Wey conditions are concerned) - http://riverweyconditionsnt.wordpress.com and if you have any doubts at all ring the lock keeper at Thames lock. Edited by Leo No2

They're not really, they're just a bunch of 4x4 owners who like to help out. I don't think they'll mind helping out in return for a small donation, and are likely to have the necessary kit and the common sense to be able to use it properly. The average 4x4 owner won't have a winch, and if they do, probably doesn't have much experience of it. Whoever does it, they'd need the landowners permission (and a reasonable access route) to get to the trees on the other side.

Having said all that, the insurance company should be leading the recovery effort.

Sorry Paul, but as one of the founding members of 4x4 Response Wales and involved in the National scheme I can assure you that we are a lot more than your description!

I spoke to the assessor /surveyor this morning he is talking about bringing a tug with a crane up to help slide it in .when the weather eases .basically he's saying leave it up to him once its floated they will replace the battery then leave me to dry the electrics out run the engine & check that the electric hydraulic valve is ok as that was under the water before we pumed it out ,a junction box with a lot of wires going to it was under water to .

If you have a good experience with the insurance company, I'm sure there are a lot of people here who would be interested in knowing which company you've used :)

Best of luck getting it sorted!

I really do think you have to be careful of the Wey. Very benign most of the time but it will flood very quickly and by the same token go down quickly as well which is probably the reason behind your boat getting caught with the front aground. Be vary wary of it. I've been at Send and been caught just a few hours after some very heavy rain. The catchment area for the Wey is huge and whilst it might not be raining in Weybridge if it is in Hampshire there's a strong chance that it will flood - if the upper reaches go into flood it is highly likely that the flood condition will make its way down the navigation. Please do keep an eye on this web site (it's your bible as far as the Wey conditions are concerned) - http://riverweyconditionsnt.wordpress.com and if you have any doubts at all ring the lock keeper at Thames lock.

Really do apreciate all the information you & everybody has contributed to this thread it may seem that I am being complacent but I have been checking the boat at least twice a day I am there at sunrise and stay there a couple of hours monitoring the situation ,I didn't explain what I was thinking when I said it wouldn't flood what I was thinking at the time I dont think it will flood to the degree it just has & make it impossible to get on site I do believe at one point the water was over 1.2 metres above the bank .

Sorry Paul, but as one of the founding members of 4x4 Response Wales and involved in the National scheme I can assure you that we are a lot more than your description!

Agreed. But still worth an approach to the local group.

Iain

LR30

Really do apreciate all the information you & everybody has contributed to this thread it may seem that I am being complacent but I have been checking the boat at least twice a day I am there at sunrise and stay there a couple of hours monitoring the situation ,I didn't explain what I was thinking when I said it wouldn't flood what I was thinking at the time I dont think it will flood to the degree it just has & make it impossible to get on site I do believe at one point the water was over 1.2 metres above the bank .

May I suggest joining Byfleet Boat Club - membership runs from 01-January - they are a really pleasant group of people and you'll get to go on some interesting club outings with like-minded people. See http://www.byfleetboatclub.com - membership details are there. They have a pretty good shindig at Christmas and one tonight as well as others during the year. There's a huge amount of experience of the Wey and the Thames within the club.

If you pop up there tomorrow (Parvis Bridge KT14 6LN) you find a few of them probably nursing hangovers - ask for Rodney or Peter (Johnson) and I am sure they will show you round and make you welcome.

Edited by Leo No2

Why would that stop you getting on site? I had to wade through about 1m of water to get off the boat and get to work last Tuesday. I wear a lifejacket over my waders and if it gets any deeper I use a dinghy. Surely you and some others can wade out there in a foot of water next time it floods before it gets too deep?

Edited by blackrose

Why would that stop you getting on site? I had to wade through about 1m of water to get off the boat and get to work last Tuesday. I wear a lifejacket over my waders and if it gets any deeper I use a dinghy. Surely you and some others can wade out there in a foot of water next time it floods before it gets too deep?

How far did you wade. at the hight of the flood it was flooded up to 3/4 of a mile away obviously not as deep , the police & fire brigade were stopping people going down there on boxing day there as it was so dangerous .I wouldn't have got in a dinghy either, that garden use to be an island when it flooded it diverted a lot of the flow across the garden that is what pushed my boat over .you own a dinghy & live on your boat maybe if it was my home I would have risked it .Anyway its all academic now. I still don't think that I would have stayed on the boat ,its a hobby not an extreme sport .

I have been back there today and sealed up the engine bay I have managed to leave a small pump connected down there so I can pump out if any gets in through the seal.if it does lap over I can just connect the pump to see if it is holding the water back .

Edited by Jparry
  • Greenie 2

How far did you wade. at the hight of the flood it was flooded up to 3/4 of a mile away obviously not as deep , the police & fire brigade were stopping people going down there on boxing day there as it was so dangerous .I wouldn't have got in a dinghy either, that garden use to be an island when it flooded it diverted a lot of the flow across the garden that is what pushed my boat over .you own a dinghy & live on your boat maybe if it was my home I would have risked it .Anyway its all academic now. I still don't think that I would have stayed on the boat ,its a hobby not an extreme sport .

I have been back there today and sealed up the engine bay I have managed to leave a small pump connected down there so I can pump out if any gets in through the seal.if it does lap over I can just connect the pump to see if it is holding the water back .

No Point in risking your life for a few tons of rusting metal - things are proceeding well, hopefully all will be sorted soon.#

ATB

L.

Wey looks worse than last time. On the gallery bit of the page it shows a sunk purple coloured narrowboat - looks like it's called "Seeker".

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/local-news/road-closures-surrey-rivers-burst-6461646

Although the name is partially obscured, from the reg. number, it is indeed 'Seeker':-

SEEKER Built by HANCOCK & LANE - Length 9.76 metres (32 feet ) - Beam 2.09 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) Metal hull, power of 30BHP. Registered with BW number 60042 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19/04/2008.

Makes one wonder why she sank, given that the area would be fairly busy, I'd have thought. unsure.png

No I didn't have to wade far. Sorry, it's a different situation - ignore me!

Edited by blackrose

Although the name is partially obscured, from the reg. number, it is indeed 'Seeker':-

SEEKER Built by HANCOCK & LANE - Length 9.76 metres (32 feet ) - Beam 2.09 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) Metal hull, power of 30BHP. Registered with BW number 60042 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19/04/2008.

Makes one wonder why she sank, given that the area would be fairly busy, I'd have thought. unsure.png

probably happened the same time as our trip boat went up on the bank that was 23rd dec late evening from what I can gather, judging by previous events it would have been pretty rapid rise and fall back down would think that Seeker was tied up and not enough slack left in the lines

Just been speaking with John Gibson (River Wey Manager for the National Trust). He's particularly concerned about the rain forecast for Sunday so if anyone has a boat anywhere on the Wey (and I expect that should include the Wey and Arun Hamsterfan), please do make sure to take care of it and check that it is safe. Remember that the Wey rises to flood conditions very quickly.

The River Lox runs parallel to the Loxwood Link section unfortunately there is little to prevent it flooding over into the canal below Brewhurst lock and again at drungewick the EA do little to keep the river clear and so it backs up and bursts its banks, also all the land drains to th enorth of the canal at loxwood drain into or under the canal

I do hope this is not another smash and grab where the poster gleans lots of info and then goes awol without closing the subject.

It's not unusual if it is.

There's for too much "take, take, take and putting nothing back" attitude nowadays. That's fine if you are just looking for information, but definitely NOT where you expect help and feedback - folks committing their time and energy to deal with the issue.

It's sad, not the least because it puts people off from bothering to respond to posts. Fora like these survive because there's a quid pro quo - exchange and feedback between contributors. Otherwise they become a sterile area.

Bah! Humbug!