"The Canal Children" TV series in the 1970s

Tunneltug

Featured Posts

Thanks Steve, I am not surprised that you recognise BINGLEY although the diamonds on the fore end are rather distinctive. I do not think the Small butty is a Birmingham & Midland boat as it has an extended back cabin.

Pete,

I mentioned the Birmingham and Midland because I remember that Graham was involved, though I can't remember whether he supplied a boat for the filming or not. I have now found the Tardebigge scene, and the boat with the extended cabin on the towpath side is Bingley, what I can't put a name to is the boat on the front of the wharf, although the colours might suggest it is Doug Greaves' boat which would have been Bodmin at that time. I remember some of the boats were filmed with more than one name, and pre printed fablon name panels were used so that they could be changed quickly. I think Bingley was renamed Daffodil for part of it

I've just read of the death of Chris Daniels.

It was Chris who was on Bingley whilst the canal children was being filmed. I am afraid I made him homeless when I bought Bingley from Kim McGavin, something he jokingly reminded me of some years later. He was also a good friend of 'Ernie' Earnshaw who owned my other boat Aquila, and I think I remember him telling me that they had done a trip with both boats at some stage.

I didn't know him well, but we chatted several times.

Sad news, RIP Chris

Pete,

I have now found the Tardebigge scene, and the boat with the extended cabin on the towpath side is Bingley, what I can't put a name to is the boat on the front of the wharf, although the colours might suggest it is Doug Greaves' boat which would have been Bodmin at that time.

I think you are correct about the other butty being BODMIN, its just a shame I mistook the boat with the extended cabin to be a 'Small' (I was considering it being a Small Northwich from the shape of the stern end top bends !!!! - I shall put it down to perspective / camera angle, but I should have known better).

• 1 month later...
Apparently the recordings of the Flower of Gloster still exist and could be released on DVD. I've sent a request to the owners and received a somewhat dismissive reply. Can others who are interested also send in requests please!!!!!!

I said :-

I am interested in obtaining a copy of the Flower of Gloster TV series shown in 1967. This series was my first exposure to the canal system and has generated a lifetime of interest. I am sure that many other boaters growing up in the 60s would also be interested.

They said:-

The Flower of Gloster is not a title we currently have on our schedule and

it is not possible for us to comment on the possibility of releasing this

at present, however we do welcome customer suggestions for forthcoming

titles. In the meantime, please keep an eye on the Network website for any

updates we may have on this series and all other future releases.

Cheers Graham

Apparently the recordings of the Flower of Gloster still exist and could be released on DVD. I've sent a request to the owners and received a somewhat dismissive reply. Can others who are interested also send in requests please!!!!!!
I said :-
I am interested in obtaining a copy of the Flower of Gloster TV series shown in 1967. This series was my first exposure to the canal system and has generated a lifetime of interest. I am sure that many other boaters growing up in the 60s would also be interested.
They said:-
The Flower of Gloster is not a title we currently have on our schedule and
it is not possible for us to comment on the possibility of releasing this
at present, however we do welcome customer suggestions for forthcoming
titles. In the meantime, please keep an eye on the Network website for any
updates we may have on this series and all other future releases.
Cheers Graham

Perhaps they don't own it. I thought it was a Granada TV production?

Perhaps they don't own it. I thought it was a Granada TV production?

Apparently Network are the right people to approach. This was on the advice of Keleidoscope. http://www.kaleidoscopepublishing.co.uk/ who also state that the recordings are safe. Network however won't comment on any particular programme as they do have to negotiate the rights with the owner. The more people request it from Network the better.

Cheers Graham

• 2 weeks later...
Re: "The Flower of Gloster" (really needs a separate thread) - however....

There is quite a thread on Kaleidoscope's Facebook page at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/213621825197/ - its a closed group, so apply to join and please add to the thread that I started as Chris J Brady ...

The main person to contact is:

Organisation: Network Distributing Ltd.

Address: Unit 20 Berghem Mews, Blythe Road, W14 0HN.

Phone: +44 (0) 2076054427

Email: it@networkdvd.co.uk

The best thing to do is to call Mr. Omar Mansur and explain to him that due to the increasing interest in canals especially with the recent ITV series "Water World" which ran to NINE series from 2000 to 2009 (approx.), and now Tim West's and Prunella Scales' "Great Canal Journeys" series - that there would likely be immense interest in "The Flower of Gloster." Additionally since TFOG was likely transmitted in b&w only, then a colour DVD version would be of even greater interest.

Don't be fobbed off by a template response. Keep emailing and calling. The more who shout the more likely the series will be issued on DVD. ITV have confirmed that ALL episodes exist on digitised tape. Therefore transferring these to DVD could be easy - if it is thought that a market exists.

CJB.

Edited by ChrisJBrady

• 1 year later...

FOG is out in Sept 2015 on DVD. It was not originally on the schedules for release. Maybe pressure from the interested parties - aka canal enthusiasts - persuaded them that there was a market.

Meanwhile back to the original post:

http://www.lostshows.com/default.aspx?search=canal+children

This programme, which exists complete, matched your search.

THE CANAL CHILDREN (1976)

So again do contact Network and who knows they might re-release it on DVD.

CJB

Edited by ChrisJBrady

Slightly off topic, but I have been looking for years forChildrens' TV series 'Flower of Gloster' from the late '60's. About a journey from Llangollen to London - some great scenes uncluding 'Chocolate' Charlie Atkins passing Braunston resevoirs (now marina) where unused Willow Wren boats make a sad specticle - "them boats is redunded..."

Anybody know of its existence?

Looks like its available in Sept this yr

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flower-Gloster-DVD-Richard-OCallaghan/dp/B00WQT47M0/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1431377817&sr=1-1&keywords=flower+of+gloster