Yet another 12v TV question

comfortably numb

Featured Posts

I've read previous threads on here regarding various aspects of TV on a boat. I'm currently using a 240v TV and a Sky+ box I'm looking to change to a 12v TV with Freeview. Part of this is to save on power when we are out cruising and partly because we feel that a Freeview would be easier to get a signal than with a satellite (we didn't get on that well with it when we were away from the marina recently).

From previous threads I know a lot of you will disagree about the signal issue but my mind is made up that I want to with Freeview rather than a satellite type one..

The question I have is whether or not there is such a thing as a 12v TV which will record a programme whilst you watch another one or watch something previously recorded like one can do with Sky plus? I've searched the internet and all I can find are ones where you can only record what is on the screen (or what it's tuned in to if the TV is switched off), and this seems to be by use of USB stick.

Am I right in presuming a TV would need it's own hard drive like my Sky box has, as opposed to an insert-able memory stick to enable this, and if so is there such a beast on the market?

We also like the 'series link' feature on our Sky box (well the wife does!!) but that wouldn't be essential if the others don't have it.

Edited to add that it needs to be no bigger screen size than a 19" due to space constraints.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated,

Edited by comfortably numb

We passed KB in the summer and got no problem getting a picture when moored outside in the mud and indeed didn't have any problem anywhere on a route on the T&M, S&W, Severn, W&B et all. With satellite reception it helps if you work out before you stop if you're going to get a picture (clear view to 28.2 deg E). With Freeview you don't know until after you stop whether or not you'll get a picture...

The Sky+ boxes are relatively hungry for power. As an alternative the older Pace Sky+ boxes take less power and you can pick these up cheaply - even ones that have been "fixed" to receive Freesat channels.

Another alternative is a Free - Sat or -view box from Humax

If you don't need HD then the older Freeview Humax take a little less power.

I haven't heard of a TV that will "record 1, watch another" programme.

Extra:

The Humax FOX boxes "do" series links

You can buy either type from www.Humaxdirect.co.uk - the refurbished boxes are effectively remanufactured and come with a new remote control. Good value.

The older PVR9300T also does series link and good examples come up on eBay regularly - that's where I got mine.

Avtex TVs appear to have both a Freeview and a Freesat tuner and record to a memory stick in the USB port

We have a Cello TV that has Freeview and can record and store on to a memory stick, BUT you can't watch another program whilst recording. So it's only any use if you're going out and want to record something.

I think the only way you can do it is with a sky box or a dedicated TV recorder, can't find anything 12v though.

There's some good info here on TV recording equipment though.

http://www.which.co.uk/technology/tv-and-dvd/guides/how-to-choose-a-digital-tv-recorder/choosing-the-best-digital-tv-recorder/

There are certainly low end TV's available with USB socket to take memory sticks. This to allow spooling of programmes to this memory. The interface menu provides the usual timer or instant record.

I would imagine there may be issues with read/write speeds of memory stick though, so some experimentation may be needed to find suitable one.

I think it unlikely you would find a suitable TV with built-in hard drive at a reasonable price. Such are usually provided by an external box with twin freeview tuners.

My cheap and cheerful Tesco telly permits recording to a USB stick. You can then transfer the file to a hard drive later. It also has a DVD player.

In order to watch one programme and record another you need to have two tuners in the box, and that is not a feature you are likely to find without paying quite a bit of money.

We have a TVONICS freeview recorder & it is ok. Ours is the '250' model & it is also 12v, ( uses a normal power adapter for mains ) ... I do think these models are 12v but worth checking.

Worth getting the 5 year warranty for an extra £9.99.

http://www.richersounds.com/search/tvonics-hv250M

Nice small size as well.

Mark

Edited by wirren

I split my system up...as having one dedicated 'box' meant that I was running a lot of power all of the time..when I didn't need it...all of the time..

I was originally going to look for a 12 volt TV....but found that the Alba range...which are only 240 volt are very low power.

I bought a 'refurbished' 19 inch Alba..from Argos for £63..which has a DVD drive. It uses 16 watts at 240 volts..and running my inverter (old Stirling) it was drawing only 2 amps from the battery. I could use this on satellite or inbuilt freeview tuner.

I had a PACE 1000 sky box (not +...240 volt/ 12 volt ) which drew 1 amp at 12 volt (I ran it on the 12 volts)..thus TV and Sky box used just under 3 amps. The PACE 1000 takes a Sky card..but doesn't 'register' it..which means that you can use your home card without having to phone up Sky...and the return home to your home box without phoning up Sky.

I then added an Alba tuner/ recorder (£30 Ebay) which uses 3 amps @240 volts...but has 2 tuners.

That meant I could watch TV and record 2 other channels..but unplug the recorder to save power when I didn't need it.

My cheap and cheerful Tesco telly permits recording to a USB stick. You can then transfer the file to a hard drive later. It also has a DVD player.

In order to watch one programme and record another you need to have two tuners in the box, and that is not a feature you are likely to find without paying quite a bit of money.

May be cheaper to buy two Tesco tellys

May be cheaper to buy two Tesco tellys

Actually that's not such a bad idea. If you have a reasonable size boat, you could put the 2x TVs in different areas for example one in the front lounge, one in the bedroom. These days with flat screens etc its not too hard to mount on the wall and save space. You may need two aerials or a splitter though.

Actually that's not such a bad idea. If you have a reasonable size boat, you could put the 2x TVs in different areas for example one in the front lounge, one in the bedroom. These days with flat screens etc its not too hard to mount on the wall and save space. You may need two aerials or a splitter though.

Junior has already done it. Great minds think alike

What a marvellous response and thanks so much for all your valuable advice. Now armed with this new information I've some thinking to do as to how I'm going to proceed with this. I will definitely be getting rid of the 240v tv so it's a case of whether to go for the Free-view or one of the satellite options and whether to get a separate box or have an integral TV.

It will have to be soon because the brackets of my Sky Satellite dish are in a bad way and the dish is currently being supported by 4 bags of coal which hasn't been very good in these recent high winds, LOL.

Thanks again everyone. Once again you wonderful people have come up trumps.