Reporting over stayers!

Davids

Featured Posts

As I have never done this before, could someone let me know how to report over stayers.

The boat across the way has now been here for going on 4 weeks. Late night engine running, chopping wood after midnight and I just obsereved the bloke chuck a cup full of diesel into the water, has now got my back up to the point where they need to be dealt with.

Thanks all

David

Thanks.

It is licensed.

Has no reason to stay apart from the fact they like the place and their mates are moored a few boats up. (Also been here longer than the allotted two weeks)

After being told to F--- Off the last time I spoke to him about his engine running at half past ten one night I have no desire to pick up that conversation again.

As I have never done this before, could someone let me know how to report over stayers.

The boat across the way has now been here for going on 4 weeks. Late night engine running, chopping wood after midnight and I just obsereved the bloke chuck a cup full of diesel into the water, has now got my back up to the point where they need to be dealt with.

Thanks all

David

When you say across the way, might the boat be on private moorings? just a thought!

Thanks.

It is licensed.

Has no reason to stay apart from the fact they like the place and their mates are moored a few boats up. (Also been here longer than the allotted two weeks)

After being told to F--- Off the last time I spoke to him about his engine running at half past ten one night I have no desire to pick up that conversation again.

Sounds like you need to report him then...

These are not winter moorings. I have been on my mooring opposite for 15 years and know this for a fact. Winter moorings are about ten minutes cruise further down the canal.

Might not be PC correct but these do not look like the kind of people who would spend the money on a mooring of any kind! Quite sure no permit has been granted.

Edited by Davids

A friendly chat with local CRT office will tell you whether he has a winter mooring permit which entitles him to stay on the towpath for months not 14 days.

I believe the towpath winter moorings are not supposed to use their winter mooring status to moor within 1km of legitimate long term moorings. Presumably the OP has a LTM as he must be on the offside.

I believe the towpath winter moorings are not supposed to use their winter mooring status to moor within 1km of legitimate long term moorings. Presumably the OP has a LTM as he must be on the offside.

That's correct, we have to moor 1km away from visitor moorings and any marinas. Perfect for us as we never use either accept for topping up with water and prefer to moor in the rough as it were.

I think roving permits are available only in certain areas too.

These are not winter moorings. I have been on my mooring opposite for 15 years and know this for a fact. Winter moorings are about ten minutes cruise further down the canal.

Winter mooring arrangements are different this year. You can have a "winter mooring" almost anywhere on the towpath. So you do still need to check.

Someone else's overstaying really isn't any of your business, nor is late night wood chopping (we all end up having to do it sometimes, often working difficult hours means either chopping wood at midnight, or being very cold), sure it's a little annoying, but a person can only get through so much wood, so I'm guessing it can only be a 15 minutes every few days.

As for late night engine noise, fair enough, since you've already spoken to him about it, call your local CaRT officer and make a complaint.

Thanks.

It is licensed.

Had you said you had already spoken to him in your original post I wouldn't have suggested it. Given the reaction you got last time then it sounds as if he is being completely unreasoanble.

Which canal are we talking about - maybe a call to the relevant waterways office then?

Might not be PC correct but these do not look like the kind of people who would spend the money on a mooring of any kind! Quite sure no permit has been granted.

Bloody hell, and you're complaining about him being there for four weeks!!

ninja.gif

MtB

It never ceases to amaze me,how the actions of one or two boats,can have such a negative affect on others,& give the rest bad press.

If the boat in question isn't ment to be there,or is pushing his luck (& let's be fair,I bet we have all pushed our luck,in some way or another over the years) you would have thought that they would try & keep a pleasant but low profile & NOT draw negative or unwanted attention to themselves.

I would suggest,you have a word with others that moor near you,& if your views are shared individually report them over a few days . It seams as though they deserve it.

There attitude is such a shame,things are hard enough as it is,& getting harder to live our chosen lifestyle in my opinion.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Nice one Mike, that made me smile. The difference is I am following the law and not upsetting the local population.

I know. Just teasing...

People like this p!ss me off. The overstaying alone is indicative of a 'fnck you' attitude.

MtB

I'm sick and tired of people who make excuses for the anti-social, and sometimes illegal, behaviour of others.

Next you'll be calling the OP a curtain-twitcher, who should keep his complaints to himself.

Seconded.

MtB

Overstaying wouldn't bother me, all the other issues the OP mentioned would though and I would be actively seeking that something was done about it. It's akin to anti social behavior especially engine running after 8pm which must be really annoying. This sort of behavior isn't accepted in residential areas and shouldn't be accepted on the canal either. I would have been on to all manner of organisations by now to put and end to it.

Good advice too who said get other boaters locally involved too.