Three Network and 4G

john6767

Featured Posts

I have today had a service update from Three (iPhone 5) and now in Settings/Mobile I get the setting for "Enable 4G", so it looks like that was the carrier settings update to support 4G. I am still showing a 3G connection in Solihull though.

4G is supposed to be rolled out in London, Birmingham and Manchester in December, so has anyone actually got a 4G signal from Three yet?

As an aside I ran the speed test app to check my speed now on 3G, and it is a very respectable 10Mbs down and 1.5Mbs up with a ping for 60ms, so perhaps I should not be expecting too much more from 4G in raw speed terms.

Picking up a new phone for xmas, was very tempted with the Nokia 625 as its 4G ready on Three, but gave it a miss only because the areas covered are not enough yet, be interested to find out when they plan to cover all the current 3g area with 4g....

From the Three site:

We're working hard behind the scenes on our 4G roll-out, we'll start in December in London, Birmingham and Manchester, reaching 50 more cities by the end of 2014. We aim to cover 98% of population by the end of 2015.

From the Three site:

We're working hard behind the scenes on our 4G roll-out, we'll start in December in London, Birmingham and Manchester, reaching 50 more cities by the end of 2014. We aim to cover 98% of population by the end of 2015.

I posted a link the other day which suggested they were behind schedule (and now cannot locate it)

But here is another one that says the same

I have today had a service update from Three (iPhone 5) and now in Settings/Mobile I get the setting for "Enable 4G", so it looks like that was the carrier settings update to support 4G. I am still showing a 3G connection in Solihull though.

Funny enough just checked my iPhone 5s and it has given me the same option too, initially I got a 'do you want to update carrier settings' message which I accepted.

Will be yonks before we get 4G lte though.

My iPad just updated - still on 3G but now hitting 13.5mbps compared to 5mbps before hand, and we're out in the sticks! smile.png

Still a measly 5 mbps here :(

What about the Mi-fi users? Will these devices be updated?

Your device has to be 4g capable.

If it is then yes, but like 3g only phones if it's not 4g capable then no.

What about the Mi-fi users? Will these devices be updated?

I'm assuming the your talking about the ones by Huawei. We have two the E5331 and the newer E5756. One is 3G and the other Ultra fast 3G but they are only 3G. I haven't been able to find anything on other Three's or Huawei's websites stating that they will be 4G. They are not advertised as 4G capable or 4G ready so I would assume that they don't have the required hardware.

Bit of a bummer.

I'm assuming the your talking about the ones by Huawei. We have two the E5331 and the newer E5756. One is 3G and the other Ultra fast 3G but they are only 3G. I haven't been able to find anything on other Three's or Huawei's websites stating that they will be 4G. They are not advertised as 4G capable or 4G ready so I would assume that they don't have the required hardware.

Bit of a bummer.

I did indeed mean those...

I thought - probably in error it seems - that they were capable of higher speeds, presuming that meant 4G. Apparently not...bummer indeed,

Edited by Paringa

I did indeed mean those...

I thought - probably in error it seems - that they were capable of higher speeds, presuming that meant 4G. Apparently not...bummer indeed,

Just like phones you will need a device that supports 4G (LTE) on the frequencies of your carrier for it to work. The iPhone 5 only partly supports 4G only having 1 or the 4 4G frequencies used in the UK Luckily that is one of the Three frequencies, but an iPhone 5 wil lnot support 4G on other carriers in the UK.

Possibly Three have not yet turned on 4G there are just going round sending the update to compatible devices in preparation for this

The 5S though seems to give 4g on more than Three.

Yes the 5S and 5C support all the frequencies, and therefore can do 4G on all UK networks

Am I right in thinking that super fast 3G is 12mb whilst first role out 4g is 14mb?

If so its hardly worth it.

From a pure speed point of view on Three that is true they have 12Mbs now on 3G (but not everywhere) and 4G will at least initially be 14Mbs. Hopefully in time 4G will give the higher speeds in more.