Unpleasantness at Fobney Lock

Kiwidad

Featured Posts

Well, after 15 months of cruising it has finally happened. Moored above Fobney lock, on the canal section, to avoid any problems with the forecast rain.

15 minutes after we moored, there was a nock on the window, and an individual started yelling about wanting to buy kiwimum's camera for gbp5. He carried on and on, getting more aggressive, whilst his partner headed for the back!

Luckily the back cover was on, so no entry there. The guy yelling the suggested he would be back for the camera later, with more money, or not.

I decided discretion was the better part of valour, no other boats moored there, so neither are we now :(

Please report it to the local police. They may do nothing, or if they get enough reports they may take some sort of action, but I guarantee if you don't report it they will do nothing.

If for no other reason, it may save someone else being intimidated as you were.

Please report it to the local police. They may do nothing, or if they get enough reports they may take some sort of action, but I guarantee if you don't report it they will do nothing.

If for no other reason, it may save someone else being intimidated as you were.

I agree give them a bell on 101 and get it logged. They may even send someone out to speak to you.

Will do. It may be that this sort of behavior is the reason that these very nice looking, and clear on the south so perfect for solar,moorings were empty.You could get 20 boats moored there, and a bus stop is less than half a mile away!

Edited by Kiwidad

There was a thread started by Tony Brooks about problems at the location in 2009 http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=23165 with a reference by Richard Fairhurst to an article he wrote about similar ten years earlier. Has it been ongoing, or do the problems come and go, like most places?

Personally I would moor close to the other end of that long straight where the gavel barges used to tie up. Not much use for bus stops but rather a long walk for such yobs.I have no wish to make accusations but I see travellers have st up camp on the old recycling site at the end of the little lane leading to Fobny lock.

The trouble I and probably Richard has was with youths swimming in the lock on hot summer days.This seems far more serious.

We often walk along that stretch

Fobney has a well deserved bad reputation. We had an unpleasant encounter there a few years ago with kids and the Police were called. But it seems most boaters are content to get through as quick as possible and don't bother to report incidents.

There's a similar spot on the Leeds Liverpool which has always been a no-no in the afternoon but at least BW used to put three lockies on duty. I doubt we can expect this sort of attention in the future though. It's pretty depressing but these hot spots are few and far between I suppose.

Yes,very unpleasant as you say,I take it that no one onboard was to distressed by this event !.

Isn't it a shame that theas sort of things happen,it puts a right downer on your trip,& makes mooring overnight a very nervous affair. Call the police,even if you just log the incident.

You just don't know what the real reasons where,or what there intentions may be later !.

Or am I just being paranoid !.

I've got 4 CCTV Day/Night Color cams on permanent loop record,covering the whole exterior of the boat + 2 or 3ft of surroundings.

Gives piece of mind that you can produce something to verify events should needs be., We have had images saved & recalled on two occations,

Once when my boat was moored on a visitor jetti & got hit by another vessel,sustaining damage whilst we where out shopping. clearly caught & dealt with promptly. (But would it have been ?).

Secondly, When two thieves rowed a small tender,tied up in a small space,directly in front of us. Again on a pontoon at this very Marina & started to break into a neighbouring boat (3 boats further up) on the pontoon. I called on site security,& then went out side inadvertently tripped in a very silent & controlled fashion, & whilst fumbling around in the dark, I must have 'mistakenly' let there tender adrift in the 5knot outgoing tide. Trapping them on the pontoon,Between me & the recently awakened on site security man who took up position by the pontoon access gate,until the police arrived 3 or 4 minutes later.

Again the arrival of the thieves,them tieing up, & getting out of the tender, putting Fertilizer sacks over one of the pontoon light & power pedestals where all clearly captured . The evidences of the damage they caused on the boat,& what they where carrying ect spoke for the rest.

Buy the way,the dingy was found further down stream

Not too distressed, although we chose to move on. I had thought of bringing the Calder & Hebble spike inside, but really, just as easy to move and avoid conflict.

Such a shame that the scrotes have spoilt such a nice spot.

We went through the Leeds & Liverpool bad area ie Forge and Newlay three rises. No problems, in fact the yoofs were polite friendly and helpful, although the lockies van keys were stolen!

Burghfield The Cunning man is a good place to stop

Yep.

Fobney Lock is very near a really rough sink council estate and the local youth find the boats good sport. A few hundred yards either way and you're back into 'normal' nice canal territory.

I like the Cunning Man too. It gets a mixed press but I like it as my expectations are not sky high. I had a GREAT banter there once...

MtB

Sadly there is no easy way to get the "local knowledge" when visiting a new waterway. Political correctness makes it difficult to publicise the bad spots, and these things can change quite quickly anyway as bad teenagers either grow up or go to prison, but. Fobney has had a bad reputation for a long time. Its not the easiest lock at the best of times and the last thing you want is troublesome youth (or even adults).

General concensus is when heading to the Thames to moor at the Cunning man then get up very early and dash to the Thames. The other way its moor on the Thames then get up early and get to the Cunning man or beyond.

There is often a pile of used syringes at Fobney so I reckon the locals are probably not going to respond to logical discussion.

Its very sad that its so difficult to spend a night near Reading as I have heard that there are some good pubs..

Like everyone says, tell the police, they have limited resources but if they get enough reports they will do something

.........Dave

I often walk the dog down this stretch. This summer there were groups of boats mooring here and locals have created a wetland reserve area next to the river. Most of the time its a lovely place to moor. Its true there are too many kids using the lock area in the school holidays but most are harmless and except when its sunny and warm the area is peaceful. The main problem is its on a cycle route from a sink estate in the west of Reading into the town centre. Occasionally youths with let us say learning difficulties will use the route. There are travellers near by but I believe they keep to themselves, they are montored by the local police and any trouble is quickly resolved.

Report all incidents to Reading police, especially if you believe they are travellers (I leave it up to your oral faculties to decide). Kids well probably best to move on up to Cunning Man only 15 min away just to ensure a peaceful night.

Its very sad that its so difficult to spend a night near Reading as I have heard that there are some good pubs..

I fear you have been misinformed - unless you like huge drinking barns. A decent pub in Reading is harder to find than a contented Welshman.

If you are able, and ONLY if you are able, keep the tiller arm handy. It makes a wonderful persuader.

A female boater managed, with the help of the tiller arm, to persuade a burglar to stay in her boat til the police arrived. This was a couple of days ago, in Hackney. She was very brave. He has previous and is going down.