Small water and fire proof containers?

Delta9

Featured Posts

I have a piece of paper that I want to keep very secure in case of fire or sinking. I've seen water and fire proof safe boxes, but I only need to store this one small piece of paper. What could I use to store it in that will survive any natural or man made disasters that are thrown at it, keeping my piece of paper safe?

Take your pick really, no reason why you couldn't get a small water/fire safe and use it for all your valuables:

http://www.fireandsafetycentre.co.uk/Products/Fireproof_Storage/Document_Holders/all/

When I said small, I probably should have said tiny. When rolled up the paper is smaller than size of a roll up cigarette. The reason I want it so small is that a thief could find a safe box, but a teeny tiny container could be very well hidden.

Edited by Delta9

Does this paper have to survive your own demise?

If not, keep it in you wallet.

Too easy to find in my wallet. I want to be able to hide it in such a way that even the most thorough of searches would not be able to find it. I don't have any heirs so it surviving my demise isn't too important.

Edited by Delta9

Your problem in wanting something small will not be on the waterproofing side, but with the fireproofing. Most fireproof containers need "mass" both to stop to stop the container burning, but more importantly, to stop the transfer of heat from the outside to the contents.

Hi Delta 9,

I agree with Graham,Can't you just re write the contents of this very intreaging piece of paper,in a way that doesn't mean anything to anyone els,& give copies to Friends as already suggested,

I will look after a copy for you (if its a treasure map,

By the way why are the called Treasure Maps,& not Treasure Charts)

Or how about adapting or cut & Glueing one of the various Silicone products that are used for cooking,table mats, even the wafer thin Silicone Chopping mats.ect.

Small,Water & Fire proof,,,But you will then have to put it in a safe Ofcourse to be theft proof.to a degree.

Oh well,back to the drawing board.

What about one of these? http://www.homesecureshop.co.uk/products/Fire-Proof-%7B47%7D-Retardant-Letterbox-Bag.-Internal-Letter-Box-Cover.-Extra-Security.html?gclid=CMvUtJHswboCFSbHtAodKVQAnA

or

http://dx.com/p/fireproof-lipo-lithium-polymer-battery-safety-guard-bag-large-size-51225?tc=GBP&gclid=CNLIxbntwboCFWTHtAodfgwAfw

looks like it could be flattened out to make it easier to hide, and/or put into something waterproof if it is not waterproof..

Personally I think I'd be tempted to bury it somewhere, myself...

Just a thought! Is it the paper itself that is of value, or the info it contains? If the latter, maybe you could change the format for something like a Micro SD card, which might offer different storage options, or some kind of coded secure virtual information storage system in the Cloud?

Edited by Starcoaster

What about one of these? http://www.homesecureshop.co.uk/products/Fire-Proof-%7B47%7D-Retardant-Letterbox-Bag.-Internal-Letter-Box-Cover.-Extra-Security.html?gclid=CMvUtJHswboCFSbHtAodKVQAnA

or

http://dx.com/p/fireproof-lipo-lithium-polymer-battery-safety-guard-bag-large-size-51225?tc=GBP&gclid=CNLIxbntwboCFWTHtAodfgwAfw

looks like it could be flattened out to make it easier to hide, and/or put into something waterproof if it is not waterproof..

Personally I think I'd be tempted to bury it somewhere, myself...

Just a thought! Is it the paper itself that is of value, or the info it contains? If the latter, maybe you could change the format for something like a Micro SD card, which might offer different storage options, or some kind of coded secure virtual information storage system in the Cloud?

Thanks, i ordered one of the bags from DX to try it out. I'm worried about memory degradation if I use memory cards as it could be many years before I need to access the information.

I think it his bank card pin number, post it on here and we will remind you when you forget .

PIN is 6978, not much use to you without the card...

I bet you could modify a small empty gas cylinder (like a sodastream one) quite easily and would be pretty fireproof and waterproof.

Good idea, thanks.

Edited by Delta9