Boat length, locks and the trans Pennine canals.

Neil2

Featured Posts

It's always been my understanding that to cross the Pennines by canal you really need a boat less than 60 foot LOA, this being the length of the locks on the Leeds Liverpool. But I believe it can theoretically be done by a 62 foot boat. Does anyone have any practical experience?

By the same token, you could do the HNC in a sixty footer, but not the Broad canal nor the Calder and Hebble so you would need to be under 58 foot to transit that way. The same applies to crossing via the Rochdale.

But might a boat described as 60' according to the licencing information still squeeze through the C&H locks by removing the front and rear fenders and swinging the tiller round?

Finally, this may sound like a silly question but what is the best way to measure the length of a narrowboat accurately?

The builder of our boat told us that despite our order at 60ft. the boat came out at 61ft.

We have taken it across the L&L several times now. A couple of the locks seemed a bit short, but we got through. the only real trouble we had was that the leakage from top gates while going down was so bad that Cath, and the engine compartment got drowned. I had to pump the engine bay out several times after leaky lock flights.

BTW the L&L across the top is, in our opinion the most gorgeous of all, miles and miles of wonderful scenery.

Bob

The L&L can definitely be done in a 63ft. Shortest lock is Barrowford Top. Have a friend who has done it in his 63 footer.

I have done the C&H and Hudds Broad in a 60footer. It can be done but was not an enjoyable experience. We came down the Salterhebble locks backwards and found Shepley Bridge tight.

The L&L can definitely be done in a 63ft. Shortest lock is Barrowford Top. Have a friend who has done it in his 63 footer.

I have done the C&H and Hudds Broad in a 60footer. It can be done but was not an enjoyable experience. We came down the Salterhebble locks backwards and found Shepley Bridge tight.

What difference does backwards make? Not doubting it.... Genuinely curious as it might help at some time in the future.

The builder of our boat told us that despite our order at 60ft. the boat came out at 61ft.

We have taken it across the L&L several times now. A couple of the locks seemed a bit short, but we got through. the only real trouble we had was that the leakage from top gates while going down was so bad that Cath, and the engine compartment got drowned. I had to pump the engine bay out several times after leaky lock flights.

BTW the L&L across the top is, in our opinion the most gorgeous of all, miles and miles of wonderful scenery.

Bob

Yes the steerer gets soaked and you need a good working bilge pump, and be prepared to physically remove a lot of water from the engine tray too. We are 60ft though I concede I have never actually verified this and I guess neither have a lot of folk.

We found it tight but doable on the L&L.

We haven't gotten around to do the C&H yet but then I don't fancy the faff of doing some locks backwards TBH.

Is that definitely correct I seem to recall Barry at Bingley telling us the shortest chambers on the L&L were Bingley Five Rise and it is particularly tight in there for us but I don't recall a particular issue at Barrowford, it's a while since we have been that far though

The historical information re lock dimensions I have suggests that Dowley Gap is the shortest lock, five inches less that the shortest at Barrowford. Office Lock and Bingley were also short. The Yorkshire locks tend to be shorter than those in Lancashire

Short locks on the LL are where, if I'm sharing, I can't open the gate on my side even if crammed up against the cill. Bottom chamber Dobson and Dowley Gap, also one of the five or three rise can't remember which are examples. 60ft boat. I'm sure a 62 would manage with fenders off.

We haven't gotten around to do the C&H yet but then I don't fancy the faff of doing some locks backwards TBH.

How do you do that? We were told to try the C&H and that we may have to do some of the locks backwards, but, how do you turn around between locks?

Bob

How do you do that? We were told to try the C&H and that we may have to do some of the locks backwards, but, how do you turn around between locks?

Bob

I have been told there is sufficient space to do this outside or near the locks where you need to - but somebody who actually has done would be better to confirm.

ed. to add a linky too.

Pennine watersways

Edited by The Dog House

Bob

Salterhebble has a T junction at the top and a basin below the 2nd lock down, 3rd lock is a guillotine, so here's plenty of room. Currently have to be helped through by cart staff, leaky gates on middle lock dries out pound above, also there's a breach on the Halifax arm so that is shut.