Major Blockage on Shroppie!

hargreaves07

Featured Posts

About 8 this morning I was walking up the Audlem Locks on my way to the newsagents. Ahead of the lock I could see a boat spread across the canal. At first I thought some dastardly deed had been done and a boats rope had been cut through as it was the morning after the normal booze up.

As I went further passing the never ending queue of boats trying to get past the blockage I realised that the boat was the sort with a pointy up nose type and indeed was one that belonged to an eminent member of this forum no less.

Being a public minded sort I decided to investigate what was the problem. The rear end was still attached to the bank but the front (bow I think it is called) was loose with the rope still attached to the knob bit but the rest of the rope was in the water with a mooring pin threaded though it.

Considering the major problem that this boat was causing I thought it would be wise not to cause the said eminent member any embarrassment - hence my short message on here!!

Anyway I was able to heroically pull the boat in and secure the boat via the pin through the piling using a technique that only us novice boaters know.

I guess that the pin had popped out after one of those ghastly hire boats had gone past too quickly.

Wishing you both many more happy and uneventful days on the cut.

so what you are saying is, there was a queue of boats either side of the untied boat and NO-ONE on a boat pulled it in? frusty.gifhelp.gif

Exactly what happened to us a little way down from Audlem earlier in the summer. SWMBO and I struggled against a side wind to pull a working boat from across the canal which had broken its mooring (we were walking the dogs). Some people on a hire boat (who couldn't get past) watched us struggle and never even thanked us when we did get it to the side. Then a bloody little boat with some people in it (some kind of trip boat) edged past, again no help whatsoever, and one woman even shouted "about bloody time" or similar and started clapping sarcastically. SWMBO then let the stupid woman have it, both barrels. Her clapping was short lived, and not another word left her stupid lips.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Where's that bloody honesty box?

As some of you had detected, it was our boat with the upturned bow that the OP had kindly rescued from the middle of the cut. We only discovered his good deed last night as he spied us through the window whilst we were checking the ABV percentages at The Shroppie Fly.

Up until then we were convinced that some bugger had either untied us to try and pinch the boat, or the strong side winds that are prevalent around these parts had loosened the mooring line. His timely interception was very much appreciated once we were enlightened and since the experience we have invested in some mooring chains to wrap around the Armco edging.

Don't for one minute believe his facade of being an inexperienced boater, Dave and his partner cruise regularly both far and wide and when not boating he's usually found up to his knees doing voluntary work on the canals.

Top bloke and his missus!

Edited by Doorman