Alternatives to the reclining chair

Mike at Mayroyd

Featured Posts

My home is a 40ft narrowboat and I'm looking for a comfortable chair. It seems like almost everyone uses those recliner swivel armchairs. I guess that they are the best solution. Anyone with recommendations for alternatives?

I bought an old rocking chair at an auction and had it recovered. Much prefer it to the modern recliners

My home is a 40ft narrowboat and I'm looking for a comfortable chair. It seems like almost everyone uses those recliner swivel armchairs. I guess that they are the best solution. Anyone with recommendations for alternatives?

We have 2 of the common type of swivel chairs that came with the boat, but I don't think they are the best solution. I would prefer to have a "proper" chair, or a sofa, but given we got the for free we have stuck with them.

We have a 2 seater sofa bed which is narrow enough to go width way across the boat,still leaves room to slip past it. Plenty of room for the 2 of us (despite being er uhm porky) and has a metal frame bed with matress. Means we look down our saloon, more like a normal room.

Phil

Our boat is 45ft, it has L shaped fixed seating in the lounge / dining area, not the most comfortable for relaxing.

We have managed to fit one of these in from Dunelm Mill.

The one on the right.

It is very comfy, providing the dog doesn't get there first.

BundleFurniture039banner.jpg?$deskbundle

Edited by Ray T

If you buy one go to a furniture shop not a boat supplier

I think these are very comfortable, light in weight, and not a lot of money

IKEA's Poang chair

I see they do a rocking version now too. You can get them in a range of finishes including leather

We took one of these to the boat last week, it fitted easily through the front doors.

I think these are very comfortable, light in weight, and not a lot of money

IKEA's Poang chair

I see they do a rocking version now too. You can get them in a range of finishes including leather

We have 2 of these on the boat, I find them comfortable but the the wife hates them as they make her back ache so they have to go angry.png I hope to swap them with my mate for his 2 seater setteeblush.png

I am greedy, have 2 reclining leather chairs, 3 stools and a "dog" bed, which is actually a built in sofa with storage underneath. It has a memory foam topper on and although really for the "kids", I love to stretch out and watch tv at night. Friends all say its really comfortable, even when it's not pulled right out. Unless Barney sleeps with his legs stretched out across the boat resting on the chair opposite, there is room to walk through!

I have a built in L-shaped sofa/dinette and a huge comfy leather arm chair which is completely out of proportion for a narrowboat and totally confuses people when I ask them how they think I got it in. I wouldn't be without it though.

Surely an Ikea chair will come flat packed with an Ike..... Err Allen key to assemble it.........

Yes, it should. What I meant are those that come already assembled like real furniture usually does. Our cushy recliners wouldn't fit through a single door, but would a double. They would really only be suited for a widebeam. We also have a Nabru sofa which would work too.

Our swivel recliner has 5 feet all attached by Allen screws, the arms are also attached by Allen screws so that are easily removed.The swivel mechanism is attached to the seat also by Allen screws.

I didn't need to do it to get them through the front doors,which like a lot of Narrowboats are double narrow doors. I wouldn't be surprised if the seat and back also separate quite easily,

If you buy one go to a furniture shop not a boat supplier

Then once you've visited the furniture shop and tried it out but before buying, take a note of its exact model name and then check out its price/availability on the internet. For example, exactly the same chair costing £300 in the furniture store can be bought online for £173.