Kennet & Avon Community Boating Website Commentary on ACC.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I think that most of us holiday boaters regard CCers with a certain amount of envy, and have never heard any of the boaters I've hung around with make any derogatory comments about them. We get pissed off with overstayers who clog up the best mooring spots, but we're quite well aware that these are more likely to be some of us than CCers (there are after all more of us). You can I suppose recognise a CC because they only show the licence, not the permit, but you'd have to be pretty nifty to be sure enough to start issuing abuse.

We're aware that the canals are essentially kept open by people using them, and CCers use them more than us. I am pretty sure this "us and them" attitude is a myth - certainly doesn't apply oop north though it may be worse dahn sarf where you've got more people looking for affordable living space.

I think that most of us holiday boaters regard CCers with a certain amount of envy, and have never heard any of the boaters I've hung around with make any derogatory comments about them. We get pissed off with overstayers who clog up the best mooring spots, but we're quite well aware that these are more likely to be some of us than CCers (there are after all more of us). You can I suppose recognise a CC because they only show the licence, not the permit, but you'd have to be pretty nifty to be sure enough to start issuing abuse.

We're aware that the canals are essentially kept open by people using them, and CCers use them more than us. I am pretty sure this "us and them" attitude is a myth - certainly doesn't apply oop north though it may be worse dahn sarf where you've got more people looking for affordable living space.

May be some do but I think many don't envy the CCer. However, I have no issue with anyone who wants to live on a boat and cruise the waterways in compliance with the licence, power to them.

I do not envy them. I do not wish to permanently live on my boat I want to use it as much as I can when I wish to but my other interests mean I want to live in a house.

I also do not hold much store in the CCers use the system more than others. For two reasons. Firstly I move my boat further and longer than many CCers I have come across each year. The majority of hire boaters and holiday boaters out number CCers and so even if individually they do less miles/locks etc than a CCer in a year the shear number of them compared to the number of CCers will mean collectively the non CCer group will use the system more in total.

Getting back on topic, I personally find it very sad that Kanda have chosen to mount this very silly attack on the ACC. Kanda have done some good things in the past and been a useful source of information for those living on the K&A. They claim to represent those who live on the K&A who insist that that they are compliant continuous cruisers (under their interpretation of the rules), so attacking the ACC who also represents continuous cruisers is just daft. Attacking Steve Jay personally for using an alias on the internet is the ultimate in hypocrisy!

I really hope that Kanda rethink this and chose to use their expertise for the good of all continuous cruisers.

................Dave