Kennet & Avon Community Boating Website Commentary on ACC.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I'm posting this without further comment of my own......

Kennet & Avon Community Boating Website Linky

.......Other than (!)

I don't think the assumptions made by Simon Robbins (NABO council) in his blog post, and linked to in that article about RMPs are completely correct. Not from my understandings, anyway.

Apart from that, I'll let people make up their own mind.

The fact that the work and discussions/agreements on the RMP's took place long before the ACC was founded fails to stop KANDA realising that perhaps working together to achieve a solution is the winner here, not the ..."who is involved and point scoring"

ok, I have not read all the links, but going on my experience of the last three years, this is not going to be good. Living on the canal is being made gradually worse, by this constant arguing about a very simple rule. Move about every 14 days, and move a bit further than the next bridge. People have been doing it for years. Without any hassle. It is the ************** who feel the need to make a "statement", or who can't be bothered to move, who have ruined it for everybody else. I hope they feel satisfied, with what they have achieved. Having lived amongst them, I unfortunately know, that they do, and they do not care about anybody else, but themselves.

Why oh why, buy a boat, and keep it moored in the same spot??? Because they are not boaters, that's why....

• Greenie 4

ok, I have not read all the links, but going on my experience of the last three years, this is not going to be good. Living on the canal is being made gradually worse, by this constant arguing about a very simple rule. Move about every 14 days, and move a bit further than the next bridge. People have been doing it for years. Without any hassle. It is the ************** who feel the need to make a "statement", or who can't be bothered to move, who have ruined it for everybody else. I hope they feel satisfied, with what they have achieved. Having lived amongst them, I unfortunately know, that they do, and they do not care about anybody else, but themselves.

Why oh why, buy a boat, and keep it moored in the same spot??? Because they are not boaters, that's why....

true , true, indeed, luctor, and why the infamous NickB encourages people to lose their homes by encouraging legal action rather than simple 10km compliance astounds all of us. Indeed why he hides under the boat name Gypsy Lady when Freya takes up so much canal width is another question, especially when he questins Jenlyn about other nom de plumes.

true , true, indeed, luctor, and why the infamous NickB encourages people to lose their homes by encouraging legal action rather than simple 10km compliance astounds all of us. Indeed why he hides under the boat name Gypsy Lady when Freya takes up so much canal width is another question, especially when he questins Jenlyn about other nom de plumes.

Matty are you saying that CRT is changing its CC guidelines that to comply you just need to move every 14 days and travel a total of 10kms in a year??

Matty are you saying that CRT is changing its CC guidelines that to comply you just need to move every 14 days and travel a total of 10kms in a year??

I am not saying that they are changing any guidelines, however, moving over 10km a year (even on the K&a) and following an A then B then C pattern will keep boaters off the radar, from reliable CRT sources.

I am not saying that they are changing any guidelines, however, moving over 10km a year (even on the K&a) and following an A then B then C pattern will keep boaters off the radar, from reliable CRT sources.

The same reliable CRT source previously was happy that boaters just shuffled around and look where that got us and yes you could probably stay low at 10kms in 2014 in some areas but IMO a fool would rely on a "reliable source" who will not be quoted.

I'm posting this without further comment of my own......

Kennet & Avon Community Boating Website Linky

.......Other than (!)

I don't think the assumptions made by Simon Robbins (NABO council) in his blog post, and linked to in that article about RMPs are completely correct. Not from my understandings, anyway.

Apart from that, I'll let people make up their own mind.

So what are the assumptions being made by Simon Robbins?

Why are they incorrect?

Are you suggesting that Simon Robbins views are those of Nabo's council rather than his own?

Why are they incorrect?

This is explicit in the discussions that are going on and of course roving mooring permits are only being offered to continuous cruisers who CRT claim would otherwise be subject to enforcement action for, as CRT see it, not moving far enough, often enough.

Are you suggesting that Simon Robbins views are those of Nabo's council rather than his own?

No.

But of course what anyone feels about an organisation is likely to be influenced by what those on its council say publicly, even if they are not doing so in the capacity of the position they hold.

Exactly the same for the IWA for instance - what Vaughan Welch chooses to say (forexample) may reflect his own view, not official IWA policy, but it is hard not to let that affect how you feel about the assosciation in which he holds office.

ACC will face the same - what its founder members have said in their own right is now likely to get linked to the newly launched association.

Im a NABO member, but I'm seeing and hearing that Simon Robbins has recently lost them a lot of potential support, simply because people make the link.

For fu** sake, it always has. Just bloody move your effing boat about. Thats why it floats. That's why you got it in the first place.... To moor in different places. If you don't like to move, get an effing flat...

I could not agree more. Well said (or implied **)

Why are they incorrect?

Assumptions because he never attended any of the meetings.

Incorrect because he has not stated the facts.

Your last point

I quote

"Lots of people nationally are watching this activity not least myself and colleagues in NABO who still have huge misgivings about this proposal."

Seems simple enough to me.

Assumptions because he never attended any of the meetings.

Incorrect because he has not stated the facts.

Your last point

I quote

"Lots of people nationally are watching this activity not least myself and colleagues in NABO who still have huge misgivings about this proposal."

Seems simple enough to me.

As you are so sure of them can you give us the facts. The only facts I am aware of at the moment is that despite all the noise and dissent these have caused among some boaters plus enthusiasm from others there are still no RMPs in place. I believe the plans are now that they be introduced in spring next year as a small pilot. Perhaps you can enlighten us to exactly what the terms are or will be.

Simons blog as I see it was written much earlier this year when things were unclear but as you allude these are much clearer now although for some reason still a very touchy subject. Seems simple enough to me to.

As you are so sure of them can you give us the facts. The only facts I am aware of at the moment is that despite all the noise and dissent these have caused among some boaters plus enthusiasm from others there are still no RMPs in place. I believe the plans are now that they be introduced in spring next year as a small pilot. Perhaps you can enlighten us to exactly what the terms are or will be.

Simons blog as I see it was written much earlier this year when things were unclear but as you allude these are much clearer now although for some reason still a very touchy subject. Seems simple enough to me to.

You of course are making the mistake of listening to the drivel thats being spun by certain folk, which implies I am the instigator of the RMP.

In fact, I was voted into a position by a number of boaters to introduce them to CRT allowing them to discuss the terms of a RMP. This I did, thus sticking my head above the parapet and eventually becoming a target for a small number of boaters with home moorings who were against the idea.

I support the boaters that wish to take a RMP, to the extent that I will help in any way I can. This does not mean however, that I am working with CRT on the project to the point where I help them make decisions of any sort. Neither do they include me with internal decision making.

I am though well aware of your knowledge on the subject, as you attended a meeting on the 10th of september when I know the RMP was discussed. In fact, I suspect you probably know more than I do, so I don't really see what you are trying to achieve with your post here.

Just so we are all clear, here is a quote from the meeting, as reported on the NABO web page

"Roving Mooring Permits:The small pilot exercise in the London area is to go ahead and the Trust asked that NABO keeps the specific details confidential until they are published on the Trusts website shortly. We have respected this request. Boaters who do not have a RMP will still be able to freely moor within the defined RMP cruising area."

Secrets?

Edited by jenlyn

You of course are making the mistake of listening to the drivel thats being spun by certain folk, which implies I am the instigator of the RMP.

In fact, I was voted into a position by a number of boaters to introduce them to CRT allowing them to discuss the terms of a RMP. This I did, thus sticking my head above the parapet and eventually becoming a target for a small number of boaters with home moorings who were against the idea.

I support the boaters that wish to take a RMP, to the extent that I will help in any way I can. This does not mean however, that I am working with CRT on the project to the point where I help them make decisions of any sort. Neither do they include me with internal decision making.

I am though well aware of your knowledge on the subject, as you attended a meeting on the 10th of september when I know the RMP was discussed. In fact, I suspect you probably know more than I do, so I don't really see what you are trying to achieve with your post here.

Just so we are all clear, here is a quote from the meeting, as reported on the NABO web page

"Roving Mooring Permits:The small pilot exercise in the London area is to go ahead and the Trust asked that NABO keeps the specific details confidential until they are published on the Trusts website shortly. We have respected this request. Boaters who do not have a RMP will still be able to freely moor within the defined RMP cruising area."

Secrets?

If ACC want to command respect, surely the top priority should be to encourage members to go cruising. Never mind about mooring. Focus on using the canals.

I'm not sure that it was a good idea for John Sloan to publicise the Association on narrowboatworld. Perhaps a strategy meeting is needed.

If ACC want to command respect, surely the top priority should be to encourage members to go cruising. Never mind about mooring. Focus on using the canals.

I'm not sure that it was a good idea for John Sloan to publicise the Association on narrowboatworld. Perhaps a strategy meeting is needed.

And thats exactly why the ACC was formed: to counter this kind of misinformed drivel. Members of the ACC do NOT need any encouragement to go cruising because we are CONTINUOUS CRUISERS.

...........Dave

• Greenie 1

Your post quotes mlne, so I will answer with my own opinion.

I am not judge and jury, furthermore, it's not for myself or the ACC to determine who moves and who does not. That's CRT's job.

Your other point, I suggest you take up with john sloan.

Why do you think the members of the ACC do not go cruising?..

We have cruised about 1000 miles since the end of May..is that not enough cruising to be called a continuous cruiser??

At the Birmingham weekend I met most of the members of the ACC (as of then) and without fail they were all on cruising journeys and had the tales to prove it..

Why do people so resent the ACC and why do people always think continuous cruisers don't cruise??

I am proud to be a CCer and love moving, which we do nearly every day..I hate it in fact if we don't move and get itchy feet almost immediately..and yes before someone says what about the winter... I love moving then too.

I am SO glad we have the ACC to try to change the image of CCers..why can't people give it and us a chance before going out of their way to criticise and make derogatory comments.

We have cruised about 1000 miles since the end of May..is that not enough cruising to be called a continuous cruiser??

At the Birmingham weekend I met most of the members of the ACC (as of then) and without fail they were all on cruising journeys and had the tales to prove it..

Why do people so resent the ACC and why do people always think continuous cruisers don't cruise??

I am proud to be a CCer and love moving, which we do nearly every day..I hate it in fact if we don't move and get itchy feet almost immediately..and yes before someone says what about the winter... I love moving then too.

I am SO glad we have the ACC to try to change the image of CCers..why can't people give it and us a chance before going out of their way to criticise and make derogatory comments.

My comment was not meant to be derogatory. I genuinely wish you success. I am just concerned that the Association might be exploited by those who you want to distance yourself from. Policing mooring and legal action are costing money that should be spent on maintenance.

The image of CC'ers is not in need of change. You might possibly direct your frustration towards actual spoilers. The ACC could possibly support your image. The ACC, I don't think, can benefit itself, if it thinks it should only speak in support of the 'best practise' while ignoring the image that is spoiling.

Criticisms fly around, but I would venture to say, not about CC'ers. Being defensive, as happens, does not show me that some CC'ers actually wish to confront the negatives. And again, it is not the positive image you have that has created criticism.

I used to get wound up about the abuse that CC'rs got it offended me because for 6 years I did just that, cruised our beautiful waterways getting itchy feet after a day out two then moving on to the next unexplored bit. I just could not stay in one place for more than a week no matter how hard I tried .

So to be tarred with the same brush as those who abused the system I found really offensive.

Roll on ten years to 2013 and I am about to buy another boat and see all the bits that have opened up since only difference is this time I won't get wound up, I won't be joining any organisation, I WILL be enjoying the thing I love best, cruising around our beautiful waterways complying with the conditions of my licence.

You see the navigation authority are there to run the system its their responsibility to police their rules by purchasing a licence I provide them with the money to do these things leaving me free to ENJOY!!

• Greenie 2