What Length of Ropes and is there a best type

DandGNWales

Featured Posts

On 25/09/2023 at 14:07, magnetman said:

Staplespun polypropylene. It floats and is durable. 

I took the lead from the fact that the Thames tugs (upstream above Teddington) use this type of rope. 

Staple is much stronger than the split film blue rubbish. 

It doesn't stretch much but stretch can be something which you don't want on canal boats. 

Whatever you use make sure the rope will part before breaking pieces of metal hardware off the boat. 

I agree, it was my line of choice, and it did not make hard splinters like the polpyprop we used in the late 60s. That was horrible. I think it tends to have a lower breaking strain that other types, but it seems plenty strong enough for canal and normal river use. Tis cold be an advantage if the line got stuck in a crevis in a falling lock, and was certainly one when an idiot on the Thames came past on the plane sometime after midnight. If the line had not parted I am sure either the bollard would have pulled out of the bank or the T stud would have pulled off.

On 31/12/2019 at 22:14, Rebotco said:

Maximum length of a centre rope is Distance from ring to prop minus 1".

On 01/01/2020 at 06:36, Mike Tee said:

Which makes it pretty much useless if you are singlehanded on a 40’ boat in a deep lock. Learn not to drop it in the water.

Or, use staple spun polypropylene, sometimes sold as synthetic hemp, which floats?

The breaking strain is a little less than polyester of the same diameter, but its also cheaper, and given most of our ropes are far stronger than then need to be as people spec the size on what is nice to hold in the hand the reduced breaking strain is basically a good thing! We use 22mm typically.

Only downside is for the centerline, if you touch it against the whistle base, it starts to melt. where the polyester doesn't. So on EmilyAnne for the centerline we are back to just being careful! Front (also long) and Rear (fair bit shorter) lines are post polyprop now however.

On 25/09/2023 at 17:18, magnetman said:

I'm looking for the @Chris J W thread about his injury from a non breaking rope. 

Not sure what search terms to use but it struck me (pun intended) as a very nasty situation. 

Here it is....

Yes, I remember this at the time.

Since then we have used a short length of rope between the handrail and the eye spice of the centerline such that if the eye bolt ever snaps of pulls through, the short length will arrest the bolt/shackle/rope safely.

I understand when winching off road vehicles sometimes a blanket or equivalent is put over the rope for the same sort of reasons. 

Daniel