Canal World

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Captain Fizz

What have you fettled for the boat today?

917 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

We could split this topic in two: this one for canal boats and another one called "What has Naughty Cal fettled today" - I reckon the two would have similar numbers of posts! There's always something needs doing on a Narrowboat, but seagoing cruisers take it to another level! :D

Its nice to see someone proud of their boat; nice change from some of the hideous shacks with specimen plants growing out of fenders. ;)

Edited by mark99

3 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Its nice to see someone proud of their boat; nice change from some of the hideous shacks with specimen plants growing out of fenders. ;)

I agree. I'm surprised no one has posted here "I trimmed the budlea growing in my button"! Or maybe I'm not ;)

Put new batteries in the weather station, now it says the sun will shine tomorrow, I wish I had changed them yesterday :-)

49 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Put new batteries in the weather station, now it says the sun will shine tomorrow, I wish I had changed them yesterday :-)

I've just popped 2 sets of rechargeables in the post to you. I'm now looking forward to 1976 all over again! :D

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I've just popped 2 sets of rechargeables in the post to you. I'm now looking forward to 1976 all over again! :D

What,  the Leicester Line of the GU from Foxton to Norton Junction drained to keep the main line open? :(

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

What,  the Leicester Line of the GU from Foxton to Norton Junction drained to keep the main line open? :(

Well, maybe not the whole of 1976 then...! :D

I needed some occupational therapy after recent events, so built a boombox for me boat out of some scrap. The radio/cd and speakers were in a scrap VW so I took pity on them and re-homed them. The cabinet was made from scrap plywood form another project. Cost me a fiver or so for some bits and pieces and works extremely well with the telly aerial. The sound is far better than I imagined, and contrary to stuff I have read, the radio only consumes 0.5 amps, and 0.6 amps when playing a CD (rounded up and at a sensible volume.) The radio failed to work to begin with, which is presumably why the previous owner left  it in the scrapper, but it was just a poor connection on the blade fuse at the rear. Works well in the house off a 12V TV mains adaptor. Much  better than my DAB radio, and I can use it for MP3 players etc. too, and feed the DAB radio in, but sadly no headphone socket.

DSCF5150.JPG

DSCF5151.JPG

DSCF5152.JPG

DSCF5153.JPG

Now the house batteries have been moved over to the starboard side of the engine it is tempting to use them as a step down in to the engine room. To discourage this I've today added this sticker to the battery clamp and terminal cover.

Jenny

tmp_16776-IMG_20170418_1327143482051521767.jpg

Very professional :)

On 12/04/2017 at 13:40, catweasel said:

Nice one! Will give that a go ;)

I second that.  Bookmarked. Cheers WotEver.

My thoughts are still on ''a portable''.

On 12/04/2017 at 13:14, catweasel said:

I needed some occupational therapy after recent events, so built a boombox for me boat out of some scrap. The radio/cd and speakers were in a scrap VW so I took pity on them and re-homed them. The cabinet was made from scrap plywood form another project. Cost me a fiver or so for some bits and pieces and works extremely well with the telly aerial. The sound is far better than I imagined, and contrary to stuff I have read, the radio only consumes 0.5 amps, and 0.6 amps when playing a CD (rounded up and at a sensible volume.) The radio failed to work to begin with, which is presumably why the previous owner left  it in the scrapper, but it was just a poor connection on the blade fuse at the rear. Works well in the house off a 12V TV mains adaptor. Much  better than my DAB radio, and I can use it for MP3 players etc. too, and feed the DAB radio in, but sadly no headphone socket.

DSCF5150.JPG

DSCF5151.JPG

DSCF5152.JPG

DSCF5153.JPG

What a great idea!

Now thoughts are drifting to the DAB head unit sitting around looking for a new home - that would be nice in the boat. (I took it out of the car as the USB navigation was a pain if you used subfolders e.g. 5 cd compilation, wouldn't make any difference in the boat as not travelling at a speed where briefly looking at what you are doing would make too much difference (except that a second not looking where the sharp end is means it heads straight for the canal bank / approaching boat!)

Finally got round to make a new fender ( cover only ) I wanted something different to the usual black or natural rope colour so I bought some multi coloured rope and made this nowhere near perfect  but looks ok and does it's job , the bow  one will need do be done shortly a bit more challenging but I have a better idea now

IMG_3147.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

Edited by luggsy