What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

Very nice Rach,

Is all this work your doing for the Scotland trip or just needed.

It's our usual winter service and spruce up.

The drive needs servicing annually so we make the most of having the boat ashore for a couple of months and get all of the little jobs out of the way in the hope that we will have a trouble free year of cruising.

It's our usual winter service and spruce up.

The drive needs servicing annually so we make the most of having the boat ashore for a couple of months and get all of the little jobs out of the way in the hope that we will have a trouble free year of cruising.

The beauty of these smaller boats hey. Easy to dry dock and trailer about for works needed.

Think i am going to enjoy this when ours is actually done.

The beauty of these smaller boats hey. Easy to dry dock and trailer about for works needed.

Think i am going to enjoy this when ours is actually done.

We get her hauled ashore at the marina.

20170205_134849.jpg

Would be nice if we had somewhere at home big enough to store her on a trailer.

Forgot to mention, we had a meeting with the trimmers yesterday to decide exactly what we want for the cockpit retrim.

We have chosen the material and style and made several changes to the original design to suit what we want.

The timescale has slipped. It should have been mid this month but now we are looking at mid march instead. Not a huge problem. So long as it is finished for our Scottish trip we will be happy.

I decided today was enough with my bildge pump clogging up pumped out what i could and the hand (literally hand) scooped up 3 buckets of crud (solid crud) and 2 buckets of mixed water and crud,

Now very happy not a drop of water in the back soaked up the last bit with a spunge and no a bit of crud in sight although pointless as it will be a mess again once work starts tomorrow on docking and back cabin again will it never end (you bought a wooden boat and expect it to end ?)

Bought a new battery as the existing one was totally flat .....its coming Friday and although she doesn't make any water through the hull I will admit to be slightly on edge waiting for its arrival.... :)

Two questions. Why was the old one flat and what have you changed to stop the same thing happening to the new one?

This weekend we have:

Fitted a new bilge pump.

Fitted new trim tab bellows.

Fitted a new remote control to the led cockpit lights.

Removed one trim ram to fit new seals.

Cleared out and deep cleaned the galley.

Made a template for the midge nets to the hull windows and hatches.

Added a few of our routes into the chart plotter for a few legs of our upcoming Scottish trip.

Looks nice

Thanks.

It's getting there.

One more weekend and we should be finished. Just got the antifoul paint to apply to the hull, a couple of coats of wax to apply to the whole exterior and then one of the LED lights to replace under the bathing platform as one has suddenly failed. Sods law dictates it is the most awkward one to get too as well rolleyes.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Rear roof corrosion bubbling up both sides.

Ground out and applied Fertan.

20170318_124114_resized_zpslnp5e2nb.jpg

20170318_123410_resized_zps6dlbpoz8.jpg

Then added a layer of Bondaprimer. Now awaiting better weather (>dewpoint) and wet dock before rubbing down a bit and applying a high build undercoat on the primed sectrion and topcoat whole with raddle red.

20170318_162630_resized_zpssrjcbhjd.jpg

Edited by mark99

We've changed half of the cabin lights to LED - we weren't happy with the spotlights we chose, so they're going back to be swapped and will be changed in a couple of weeks.

Impromptu sink unblocking - amazed any water had managed to pass through the pipes, they were so clogged and to say they were smelly is an understatement.

Cleaned and waxed the runners on both sliding hatches - no longer need a tractor to drag them closed! Not sure how well the wax will last as it was just a scented candle.  Any other suggestions of what we could use would be welcome.

Made up a couple of really ugly fenders just to get us through the next couple of weeks, but had a chance to practice my rope splicing.  It needs more practice! Half finished my practice rope fender and ordered 'proper rope' to make some real ones.

34 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Have you experience of using this on cabin hatch slides WotEver?

If it works I will invest in some.

Yup, I stuck it on the slides on WotEver. Boy did it help :)

Note that it's brittle and very difficult to cut neatly so if for instance you wanted 40mm then buy the 19mm and put it on as two strips as opposed to the 50mm with the intention of cutting it down. I made that mistake. 

Just now, WotEver said:

Yup, I stuck it on the slides on WotEver. Boy did it help :)

Note that it's brittle and very difficult to cut neatly so if for instance you wanted 40mm then buy the 19mm and put it on as two strips as opposed to the 50mm with the intention of cutting it down. I made that mistake. 

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Got to be better than rubbing a candle on the brass slides every couple of weeks :D

Just now, cuthound said:

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Got to be better than rubbing a candle on the brass slides every couple of weeks :D

No comparison :)

You'll need to thoroughly degrease whatever you stick it to for the adhesive to work well.

let us know how you get on. 

36 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Note the customer reviews, e.g.:

"Not the advertised material

The photographs online show Slick UHMW sheet - which used to be what Axminster supplied. What arrived was HDPE sheet - a completely different material. HDPE is low friction, but nothing like as low as UHMW and less expensive. To avoid confusion, the photograph should be changed and the material stated in the description. "