What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

On 2017-6-24 at 20:43, rustydiver said:

Been tidying up the engine bay over the last few weekends.

From this

94DF6268-40FD-4351-9524-4F4DFDFFF955_zps

to

7B782ADA-FF37-4F81-BC92-EF8DF6668241_zps

to

47D0FC34-D002-45B5-8CB1-53398F6DFC72_zps

its not the best looking, but not rusty now. All scrapped out and rustproofed. At least its protected now.

Not the nicest of tasks to have to do but looks like you have made a good job of it. 

I recently tackled mine but decided to go all-out and removed the engine, batteries, fuel tank and the lot. I did try with the engine in but there were too many spots i just couldn't get at.

One thing to remember is to do the underside of the decks that are welded in. I've seen a few where the engine bay looks spotless but the underside of the decks are bubbling and covered in flaky rust.

Anyway nice job... 

Thanks I've laid on my back doing under the deck. Summer time job is to remove the batteries I've temporarily derusted under them and rust treated just to protect that area until I get more time. It's hard just spending a weekend there. 

I fitted new wooden cants to the front of my boat.

As no expense is used when it comes to my boat I bought a new 9ft scaffold board and a 4ft fence post.

I was not popular going home on the bus.

They were both far too big for my needs being far too four be for be two before.

Both lumps of wood were course, so I planed them, then stained them before giving four coats of Ronseal external varnish.

It said on the label that it needs constant stirring while being applied.  So of course I didn't need to do that because they've told us all that it does just what it says on the tin, so that was good.

Total cost under thirty of our English pounds ........ and doesn't it show?

Before and After

WP_20170624_14_09_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20170624_14_38_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20170624_14_39_28_Pro.jpg

Edited by zenataomm
So I could brag how little a shoddy job costs

19 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I fitted new wooden cants to the front of my boat.

As no expense is used when it comes to my boat I bought a new 9ft scaffold board and a 4ft fence post.

I was not popular going home on the bus.

They were both far too big for my needs being far too four be for be two before.

Both lumps of wood were course, so I planed them, then stained them before giving four coats of Ronseal external varnish.

It said on the label that it needs constant stirring while being applied.  So of course I didn't need to do that because they've told us all that it does just what it says on the tin, so that was good.

Total cost under thirty of our English pounds ........ and doesn't it show?

Before and After

WP_20170624_14_09_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20170624_14_38_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20170624_14_39_28_Pro.jpg

Why the projecting bolts?

53 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Whats it's purpose?

To cover up the holes in the steelwork from the previous bits of wood.

It isn't a tradditional narrowboaty tgpe of bow, so doesn't have to look narrowboaty.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Nothing to do with porpoises.

Although not a traditional style of narrow boat it is a canal boat and soon will be 50 years old.

Originally not bearing any form of cant at the front end there was evidence of where years of ropes riding down over the sheerline (where the front deck meets the side of the hull) to the bank had worn the metal.  Think of guard rails up the sides of humpy back bridges where countless years of horse ropes had rubbed.

The cant allows the mooring rope to reach the bollard etc. without rubbing the edge of the boat.

....... and manufacturing it kept me off the streets and away from members of the public for several days.

• Greenie 4

8 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Nothing to do with porpoises.

Although not a traditional style of narrow boat it is a canal boat and soon will be 50 years old.

Originally not bearing any form of cant at the front end there was evidence of where years of ropes riding down over the sheerline (where the front deck meets the side of the hull) to the bank had worn the metal.  Think of guard rails up the sides of humpy back bridges where countless years of horse ropes had rubbed.

The cant allows the mooring rope to reach the bollard etc. without rubbing the edge of the boat.

....... and manufacturing it kept me off the streets and away from members of the public for several days.

Good answer.