What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

We could split this topic in two: this one for canal boats and another one called "What has Naughty Cal fettled today" - I reckon the two would have similar numbers of posts! There's always something needs doing on a Narrowboat, but seagoing cruisers take it to another level! :D

Its nice to see someone proud of their boat; nice change from some of the hideous shacks with specimen plants growing out of fenders. ;)

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Its nice to see someone proud of their boat; nice change from some of the hideous shacks with specimen plants growing out of fenders. ;)

I agree. I'm surprised no one has posted here "I trimmed the budlea growing in my button"! Or maybe I'm not ;)

49 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Put new batteries in the weather station, now it says the sun will shine tomorrow, I wish I had changed them yesterday :-)

I've just popped 2 sets of rechargeables in the post to you. I'm now looking forward to 1976 all over again! :D

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I've just popped 2 sets of rechargeables in the post to you. I'm now looking forward to 1976 all over again! :D

What,  the Leicester Line of the GU from Foxton to Norton Junction drained to keep the main line open? :(

I needed some occupational therapy after recent events, so built a boombox for me boat out of some scrap. The radio/cd and speakers were in a scrap VW so I took pity on them and re-homed them. The cabinet was made from scrap plywood form another project. Cost me a fiver or so for some bits and pieces and works extremely well with the telly aerial. The sound is far better than I imagined, and contrary to stuff I have read, the radio only consumes 0.5 amps, and 0.6 amps when playing a CD (rounded up and at a sensible volume.) The radio failed to work to begin with, which is presumably why the previous owner left  it in the scrapper, but it was just a poor connection on the blade fuse at the rear. Works well in the house off a 12V TV mains adaptor. Much  better than my DAB radio, and I can use it for MP3 players etc. too, and feed the DAB radio in, but sadly no headphone socket.

DSCF5150.JPG

DSCF5151.JPG

DSCF5152.JPG

DSCF5153.JPG

On 12/04/2017 at 13:14, catweasel said:

I needed some occupational therapy after recent events, so built a boombox for me boat out of some scrap. The radio/cd and speakers were in a scrap VW so I took pity on them and re-homed them. The cabinet was made from scrap plywood form another project. Cost me a fiver or so for some bits and pieces and works extremely well with the telly aerial. The sound is far better than I imagined, and contrary to stuff I have read, the radio only consumes 0.5 amps, and 0.6 amps when playing a CD (rounded up and at a sensible volume.) The radio failed to work to begin with, which is presumably why the previous owner left  it in the scrapper, but it was just a poor connection on the blade fuse at the rear. Works well in the house off a 12V TV mains adaptor. Much  better than my DAB radio, and I can use it for MP3 players etc. too, and feed the DAB radio in, but sadly no headphone socket.

DSCF5150.JPG

DSCF5151.JPG

DSCF5152.JPG

DSCF5153.JPG

What a great idea!

Now thoughts are drifting to the DAB head unit sitting around looking for a new home - that would be nice in the boat. (I took it out of the car as the USB navigation was a pain if you used subfolders e.g. 5 cd compilation, wouldn't make any difference in the boat as not travelling at a speed where briefly looking at what you are doing would make too much difference (except that a second not looking where the sharp end is means it heads straight for the canal bank / approaching boat!)

Finally got round to make a new fender ( cover only ) I wanted something different to the usual black or natural rope colour so I bought some multi coloured rope and made this nowhere near perfect  but looks ok and does it's job , the bow  one will need do be done shortly a bit more challenging but I have a better idea now

IMG_3147.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

Edited by luggsy
  • Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not quite the finished article but our cockpit retrim is well underway and we are over the moon with it.

Will be finished next week. 

20170512_190347.jpg

20170512_190352.jpg

20170512_190429.jpg

20170512_190510.jpg

The backrest need sticking in place next week. They need propping in place for a few days so they are not fixed yet. And the helm seat headrests are not finished yet.

On 2017-4-21 at 12:44, luggsy said:

Finally got round to make a new fender ( cover only ) I wanted something different to the usual black or natural rope colour so I bought some multi coloured rope and made this nowhere near perfect  but looks ok and does it's job , the bow  one will need do be done shortly a bit more challenging but I have a better idea now

IMG_3147.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

Why the two shore supply plugs?

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

not in that picture, the cable is female to female

I can't see it that clearly on my phone but if that's the case then it's both dangerous and a BSS fail.  

My boat has a Volvo greaseless stern gland which doesn't drip at all. As a consequence the engine bilge is always bone dry. Great! However, if I do ever get water in there I want to know about it as something has chanvged. The stern gland might be on its way out, the weed hatch seal may have gone. I managed to destroy a bilge pump by accidentally knocking on the override switch by the cabin door. Didn't notice for days, or weeks maybe, by which time the pump, running completely dry, was wrecked. So ideally I want to be warned if my bilge pump is running, or if it has run after being trriggered either by the float switch, or the manual switch.

I've added an Led to the control panel, powered from a latching relay. If the bilge pump starts for whatever reason the relay latches on and the LED lights up bright blue. It can only be turned off by pressing the reset button underneath. Hopefully give me warning of any problems developing in the engine bilge.

This works for my boat. It won't work for one where the bilge pump is in regular use dealing with stern gland drips and so on.

Jen

tmp_3003-IMG_20170519_202302680217243463.jpg