What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

Today we have bought a tonneau cover for Naughty-Cal in readiness for her road trip to Scotland next summer.

A new one by the canopy maker on the marina would have been £480. We have paid £100 for one that has been used on an S23 once made by the same canopy maker.

We will need to have a few alterations made as some of the studs don't line up but shouldn't be an expensive job.

Bargain Rach, thats a darn lot for just a tonnue, the custom canopy fro our boat is average £1200 fully fitted etc.

Bargain Rach, thats a darn lot for just a tonnue, the custom canopy fro our boat is average £1200 fully fitted etc.

We paid £1200 for our hoods about 5 years ago but our hoods are quite large for the size of the boat. The chap who did them is now asking about £1800 for the same hoods.

The tonneau is actually quite large due to the shape of the cockpit.

It is currently residing in the hallway until we have the time to give it a good scrub and a coat of fabsil rolleyes.gif

We paid £1200 for our hoods about 5 years ago but our hoods are quite large for the size of the boat. The chap who did them is now asking about £1800 for the same hoods.

The tonneau is actually quite large due to the shape of the cockpit.

It is currently residing in the hallway until we have the time to give it a good scrub and a coat of fabsil rolleyes.gif

Good stuff.

• 1 month later...

Not quite something we have fettled but we booked Naughty-Cal in for the cockpit upholstery retrimming at the weekend.

We have been wanting it done for a while now and have something other then white vinyl in mind for the retrim. It should hopefully be done by the end of February which works well for us as the boat is due out of the water just after new years for a few months and a bit of a fettle.

I broke every bit of ice around the boat, was 1cm thick you could have prob stood on it i went to brake it with a ally pole and it just dented it. Had to use the hammer with a rope on it. Also had to put move the shower taps and put blanks in as it the cold weather dispite the system being drained had cracked it like blew it apart must have had a small bit of water in it still

I have been extending the heating system on my boat to add a webasto diesel boiler.

Needed 2 rads plumbing in, in salon as solid fuel stove heated salon and galley.

Once the webasto boiler is fitted, it will heat the salon when the fire is not lit. The webasto will heat my 4 rads and calorifier. Or the solid fuel stove heats the 2 gravity rads or calorifier. One in bedroom other in bathroom.

We'll see in a few days if my linking of the 2 heat sources works as in the next few days installing the webasto, diesel feed, exhaust/flue, pipework, electrics etc. Then I can test it all!

Jamescheers.gif

Today we have refitted the repainted sun cover to the chart plotter.

20161210_110505.jpg

It doesn't quite match the Tridata cover though so this week's job is to take that home and repaint that as well and get some new Raymarine transfers made up for both covers.

Looks very neat :)

Made a small (30 litre) coolbox - fits under the shelving by the front steps and has kept a pint of milk good for a week. Made of some MDF, lined with polystyrene sheet and plastic floor tiles. Thermostatically controlled fan with ducting in/out of bilge. All for under £6 - gorbless poundshops, eBay and a hoarding habit...

Made a small (30 litre) coolbox - fits under the shelving by the front steps and has kept a pint of milk good for a week. Made of some MDF, lined with polystyrene sheet and plastic floor tiles. Thermostatically controlled fan with ducting in/out of bilge. All for under £6 - gorbless poundshops, eBay and a hoarding habit...

Interesting. What kind of temp is the cooler getting down to?

Edited by Guest

Interesting. What kind of temp is the cooler getting down to?

Last weekend - 6.5C, during week 10.... [i suspect the warmer weather and having the stove in. Let the stove go out last night and it was at 9 this morning]

Last weekend - 6.5C, during week 10.... [i suspect the warmer weather and having the stove in. Let the stove go out last night and it was at 9 this morning]

Cheers. We have an ideal spot for something similar, so will have a play when we move on fulll time.

• 2 weeks later...

Today we have refitted the repainted sun cover to the chart plotter.

20161210_110505.jpg

It doesn't quite match the Tridata cover though so this week's job is to take that home and repaint that as well and get some new Raymarine transfers made up for both covers.

We have now painted the Tridata cover to match the plotter cover and added the new transfer.

20161224_081716.jpg

Now we have to take the plotter cover home again to fit the transfers and give it a coat of satin lacquer.

• 3 weeks later...

Naughty-Cal is now ashore for the next few months.

20170108_090543.jpg

We managed to fit the new Rockford Fosgate speakers in the cabin . Unfortunately one of the cockpit speakers is faulty so has to be sent back for a replacement pair. A job for next week.

20170107_095850.jpg

We forgot some of the bits to refit the heating so that will also have to wait. So to kill some time we drained the leg oil. No great surprise that the oil seals were damaged by fishing line yet again so the oil was contaminated with water.

20170107_102811.jpg

20170107_104545.jpg

20170107_105342.jpg

Liam will replace the seals this week and then we will flush the drive through with some fresh oil before dropping it again and putting in clean oil before relaunch.

Naughty-Cal is now ashore for the next few months.

20170108_090543.jpg

We managed to fit the new Rockford Fosgate speakers in the cabin . Unfortunately one of the cockpit speakers is faulty so has to be sent back for a replacement pair. A job for next week.

20170107_095850.jpg

We forgot some of the bits to refit the heating so that will also have to wait. So to kill some time we drained the leg oil. No great surprise that the oil seals were damaged by fishing line yet again so the oil was contaminated with water.

20170107_102811.jpg

20170107_104545.jpg

20170107_105342.jpg

Liam will replace the seals this week and then we will flush the drive through with some fresh oil before dropping it again and putting in clean oil before relaunch.

That reminds me of an outboard that I saw as a kid. The fishing line had wound right into the casting around the gears, and caused the casting to explode. It was a right mess. It was amazing how it had got past the oil seal. a far cry from my Seagull outboard which requires water in the gearbox!!

Edited by Guest

The line had made its way through both oil seals. It has two back to back. The outer one was obliterated the inner one wasn't as bad but clearly still leaking.

And the new shaft we fitted a couple of years ago is now badly scored where the line was wrapped around it so will probably need replacing again in the next couple of years.

The line had made its way through both oil seals. It has two back to back. The outer one was obliterated the inner one wasn't as bad but clearly still leaking.

And the new shaft we fitted a couple of years ago is now badly scored where the line was wrapped around it so will probably need replacing again in the next couple of years.

Horrible stuff. Never seen it happen myself, but understand it can make a mess of the neoprene type cutless stern tube bearings on boats with inboard motors.

Well its not on the boat now but down the local auto electric chap, I thought the domestic alternator was grumbling for some time so at the end of last trip I took it off and found I could move the pulley and shaft back and forth by about 10mm so I am now 99% certain that is where the noise was coming from. Bit annoying as I paid about £15 for that alternator about 4 years ago. Stamped on it is 24 volts 100 amps. When the cap who is repairing saw it he said "That's a bit optimistic" The most I had seen from it was about 45 Amps which he thought was about right. The frame size is the same as most 12 volt ones.

Woke up on New Years day to flat batteries and no heating on because of low voltage preventing the Webasto firing up.

I've been viewing the alternator suspiciously for a couple of months, so took it off to get checked out at local alternator repair shop.

Beyond economic repair,,,

Leading to 1 new alternator, 2 new batteries after old ones wrecked by duff alternator, and one new SmartGauge so hopefully this is prevented in the future..

Do like spending lots of money just after Christmas!