Craning and transporting a 35' narrowboat

Featured Posts

Hello

I have my little 35' long narrowboat, Drifter, coming out of the water soon. I want to move it nearer to where we're staying.

Managed to find a few places that will accomodate the boat nearer to where I'm staying (there are a couple of farmers that will accomodate it for very little). Now, the expensive bit.

How much to move a 35' narrowboat 25 miles with a craning at each end? New boats get delivered to where I'm moored all the time, but most of them are widebeam. Is it reasonable to think my boat is less than 10 tons? I imagine we could get it loaded by crane, but be removed on a Hiab - is this feasible?

Also, do you know of anyone local to Derby that would be able to do that?

Thanking you in advance.

The only time I've craned and transported a boat was when we launched the new hull 10 years ago. I paid for the cost of the lorry and shared the cost of the crane with about 5 other boaters who were having boats put in / taken out at the same time. If there are regular boat launches where you are it would be worth talking to them first to see what deals you can get by sharing the crane hire and possibly making use of a lorry that's going back empty...

Hi kida, i recently had my 36` NB moved, it weights 8 ton fully fitted, i did ask my local Hiab container transport company who i have used in the past for my cabin cruisers but they said it was to heavy, god knows why, i just take it they didnt want to move it as 2 blokes who worked there said they would do. Anyway, they at first said £450 to move it 20 miles, good price.

In the end i used a company i deliver gas to who used to do boats may years ago, but now just machinery etc, it was using a mobile crane and flat deck arctic. when they lifted it the crane driver said the boat was 8 ton. i got it cheap but not insured against accidents, as in if they drop it. but for what i paid and i knew they can do the job it was worth saving what i saved.

I would ask a few container movers, maybe even further afield as if they are in the area they mite take on a job on the return home.

I got a price from 2 machinery mover with hiab, and to lift it and move it 200 yars and drop it, they wanted £650.

True boat moves are very expensive, but if you got the cash then splash out as a crane alone can cost £1k a day, thats why a lot share the cost of crane hire in yards.

good luck kida

wolly

I'm puzzled as to why you don't just put it back in the water and steer it there. Or is it a whole lot further than the 25 miles by road?

I'm sure Matty40s, Nigel Carton et al would jump at the chance to move a boat 25 miles for the £650+ mentioned here for craning and lorrying. I can think of someone else who might do it for £650 too, if you are interested.

MtB

How much to move a 35' narrowboat 25 miles with a craning at each end? New boats get delivered to where I'm moored all the time, but most of them are widebeam. Is it reasonable to think my boat is less than 10 tons? I imagine we could get it loaded by crane, but be removed on a Hiab - is this feasible?

Also, do you know of anyone local to Derby that would be able to do that?

Thanking you in advance.

These people have done a mass 'boat lift' at our club on a number of occasions and moved sold boats away from site - a ittle slow IMHO, but cost effective.

Crane Hire Solutions

Additionally, they run a Micro-brewery, too 'SHARDLOW BREWING COMPANY LIMITED' We use one of their brews as a 'special' on our annual Boaters' Weekend - very nice!

Edited by OldGoldy

Companies that move and crane 40f/t containers do so but no where near 30t.

We did watch a 30 f/t n/b lifted from the site we were on in Devizes by hiab, a really big hiab too, the boat weighed around 7t and it took a lot of moving the lorry in to different positions before the hiab would lift it without alarms going off. If you can get the lorry dead along side I recall the driver saying it would lift 16t max, so 8 t is possible if the lorry can get along side. Of course the same applies on delivery.