The Association of Continuous Cruisers

jenlyn

Featured Posts

For the past couple of months, John Sloan and myself have been working on forming a new Association.

On Saturday 21st September, a group of constant cruisers met in Rugby to discuss and prepare the way forward.

10 founder members agreed to start and run the association over the next 14 month's. At the end of that period, we will look to hold elections for council.

The Association of Continuous Cruisers will be launched at the Birmingham floating market event on 27th September.

Below is the link to our web page.The constitution and founder members will be found on the page, once it goes live.

http://www.associationofcontinuouscruisers.org.uk/

Edited by jenlyn
  • Greenie 1

That's a real shame.

I was rather hoping you would form an association that was for all with an interest in boating that I could actually be qualified to join.

An association for a specific sector of boaters would seem to pander to CRT's "divide and rule" strategy.

Edited by carlt

That's a real shame.

I was rather hoping you would form an association that was for all with an interest in boating that I could actually be qualified to join.

An association for a specific sector of boaters would seem to pander to CRT's "divide and rule" strategy.

Likewise. I'm specifically excluded

Richard

That's a real shame.

I hope not Carl we want to work with all other groups on issues that concern all boaters and then concentrate on issues that effect CCers

Likewise. I'm specifically excluded

Richard

We are looking at Associate membership for those interested but we must walk before we can run

I hope not Carl we want to work with all other groups on issues that concern all boaters and then concentrate on issues that effect CCers

Unfortunately I don't have a "group" and was rather hoping that stirrings in the forum of late would lead to the formation of one that I felt able to join.

Oh well...

That's a real shame.

Indeed.....we were lucky enough to be able to travel about for over three months this year but for a number of reasons we return to a marina for the rest of the time....so some of the aims will be relevant to extended cruisers such as ourselves.....however if its just going to be an organisation for the bridge hoppers as seems likely then I'm guessing it will lose any credibility.

Cheers

Gareth

The associate member is complex, but we are in the process of making that happen.

Why would I want to be an associate member of a single issue association?

The name specifically excludes all but ccers so "associate members" would just be a revenue stream.

Indeed.....we were lucky enough to be able to travel about for over three months this year but for a number of reasons we return to a marina for the rest of the time....so some of the aims will be relevant to extended cruisers such as ourselves.....however if its just going to be an organisation for the bridge hoppers as seems likely then I'm guessing it will lose any credibility.

Cheers

Gareth

Gareth the constitution makes quite clear that it is not for Bridge Hoppers infact one of main aims is to raise the profile of Compliant Continuous Cruisers and I do actually find your remark very ill informed and is typical of the reason why we need an association

• Greenie 1

Your opinion in turn loses all credibility when you assume that all CC'ers or people who might wish to join the ACC are 'bridge hoppers.'

It is precisely this kind of assumption and negativity that makes many CC'ers feel as if they need their own organisation to allow them to speak in unison with other people who live a similar lifestyle and face prejudice like this from some quarters.

Greenie!

Err what's to stop anybody forming an association open to all boaters...

Nothing but the work that Jenlyn, Cotswoldsman, Alan, etc seem to be leading to a group that represented all boaters and one that I could support.

It would seem that it was merely to "raise the profile of Compliant Continuous Cruisers" and I feel somewhat duped.

Edited by carlt

Gareth the constitution makes quite clear that it is not for Bridge Hoppers infact one of main aims is to raise the profile of Compliant Continuous Cruisers and I do actually find your remark very ill informed and is typical of the reason why we need an association

Surely you if you exclude bridge hoppers then you aren't going to have many members?....some of your aims will be covered by the RBOA and indeed I suspect quite a few genuine CCers are already members of RBOA judging by window stickers etc that we have seen out and about this year. How are you going to exclude the CM brigade?

Whilst there may be a need for better representation of boaters that actually use the system I'm not sure that yet another organisation is the way forward.

Cheers

Gareth

Nothing but the work that Jenlyn, Cotswoldsman, Alan, etc seem to be leading to a group that represented all boaters and one that I could support.

It would seem that it was merely to "raise the profile of Compliant Continuous Cruisers" and I feel somewhat duped.

Grrrr. Your jumping the gun carl, be patient.

Err what's to stop anybody forming an association open to all boaters...

But that would exclude non-boaters and be a non-inclusive single-issue group! tongue.png

Everything's relative...

Edit: I do see Carl's point about divide and rule, but I don't think it really divides boaters to that extent, and to be honest I'm not even sure CRT have a divide and rule policy - that sounds a bit "conspiracy theory" to me. On the other hand, if ACC has to change because it feels obliged or pressurised to represent all boaters then that somewhat dilutes their cause. If every association or pressure group has to represent everyone then we will end up with a grey meaningless kind of politics, so I don't think there's anything wrong with what they want to do.

Edited by blackrose