Market Bosworth new marina

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

We moored on the visitors' moorings at MB on the way to Shackerstone. They were working L for leather on what we discovered was a new marina, lots of large yellow machinery charging about, and I suspect they were well behind schedule as they kept working (noisily) until 6.30 p.m. Judging by the state of the site, it'll be quite a while. They were still levelling out and rolling the ground, no pontoons or buildings yet.

Hi,

I spoke to one of the contractors working on site this morning. They hope to open in April next year with 150 berths. Currently they are digging out the clay to line the bottom then they can landscape the site. It's difficult to visualise because the field is about 8ft below the line of the canal so a lot of what has been done will be underwater.

Fred.

Hi Athy,

Yes we were at Shackerstone & had a great time. We're on the Ashby waiting for the arrival of a new Grandaughter.We were going to Coventry when we met some friends so we winded & are heading back to Snarestone. Moored at MB at the mo',want to go to the market tomorrow.

Fred.

PS. Yes the name is Cornish,Lisa is from Bude. Roughly translated,it means,Home on the Water. &yes,there is another boat with that name. We've met her crew.

Edited by FredW

Athy

Today, 12:53 PM

I have a customer who lives in Chyandour Terrace, Penzance, that's how I guessed the Cornish connection!

Hi again,

Just discovered one or two other references to the name that I wasn't aware of.

Fred.

Passed Chyandour today - only managed a quick wave as we went our different ways. (We actually live in Wadebridge, Cornwall, a little south of Bude)

Good to be able to spot someone on the forum!

Just before this we went through one of the sharp bends on the Ashby which is followed by a bridge and a blind approach. As we were exiting the bridge a boat came the other way, determined to press on, probably not having seen us coming. Since it was on the inside of the bend, it inevitably continued straight ahead and bow into our side. Fortunately it was not as forceful as it might have been but going slower approaching a blind bend might have been a good idea as well as making some effort to stop when it was obvious that they were not going to get around! Made worse by a less than apologetic, "Well these things happen on canals."

...and I've discovered, thanks to you, what the chap's street address means. He has been buying records from me for nigh on 20 years and I never thought to ask him!

• 2 months later...

That is indeed some consolation - but I think that the marina site's blurb is a little way away from the truth, rather like those holiday hotel desciptions which promise sea views (if it wasn't for the houses in between).