Advice wanted on possible boat purchase

Featured Posts

Hi, first post so please be gentle with me...

Have spent a considerable time viewing the forums and appreciate all the good info that people have provided, it has helped me to decide to become a boat owner and to decide what is/not important to me. Thank you all.

Looking to buy my first boat and would appreciate any comments you have on the following;

http://trinitymarinas.co.uk/product/vilani-56ft-semi-trad/

http://rugbyboats.co.uk/Trads/narrow-boat-canal-boat-57ft-traditional.html

http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/images/pdf_files/Allesverloren%20Brochure%20Main%20Page.pdf

http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/images/pdf_files/Isaiah%20Grut%20(2)%20Brochure%20Main%20Page.pdf

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=302055

Specifically looking for comments about shell build quality, engine, gearboxes, electrical systems and b/t. Also if any of the brokerage's should be avoided or not (pm me if comments shouldn't be aired in the forum).

Boat will be used as a part time liveaboard depending on work requirements. Any questions please ask.

Thanks

StationMaster

Who or what are Hesford Marine? and do you like semi trads, a complete waste of space IMHO, or is it co incidental? Liverpool boats do not have the best of reputations, cheep and cheerful at best. Perhaps you should do more research (sorry) or be a bit more specific about your likes/needs. I for instance would not give a toss about sophisticated electrickery not a TV but would want a tug with a vintage engine in its own room and nothing else smile.png You may be tall froinstance and therefore you would want both a long bed and good headroom. I would go to Rugby Boat Sales if anywhere as Dominic is a damned fine chap and is of this parish.

Neil2 - thanks, do you or anyone else know what the implications of having an unusual engine are, is this roughly the same as having an unusual car/engine i.e. not every mechanic knows how to service it properly and parts could be difficult to replace - just looking for an idea of things or where to look for further research.

PaddBear - Hesford Marine appear to be a Marina but no mention of currently building new shells, that doesn't mean there is anything dodgy here just that I need to do more research and part of that is asking on here. No wish to open the debate about boat style as we all have our own preferences, the original post was a bit vague as I wanted to draw out other opinions rather than lead too much i.e. you are the second person to give an opinion about Liverpool Boats (both opinions confirm with my view and have helped me on the way to a decision - doesn't mean I have ruled out a Liverpool Boat though). Was aware of Rugby Boats being from this parish and have no concerns about them (in fact anything through them is a bit of a bonus), I do have some slight concerns about one of the other brokers but not sure if I am being a bit over careful. I live by 'any decision is better than none, as long as it's a reasonably informed decision' - if I always new the decision was the right one I don't think I'd be suitable for living on a boat!

Requirements are;

Trad/Semi Trad

Pump out toilet

56 to 59ft long

Battery system/electrics to survive several days non cruising (I know this isn't exact but room for 1 leisure battery will not fit the requirements)

Bow Thruster, or at least tube for one (I know this will upset many but I'm paying so I get to deciderolleyes.gif )

Everything else is a question of compromise.

As of earlier today On Schedule ! (the Rugby Boats link) is sold subject to survey.

The electrical ability of any boat to survive several days of non cruising will primarily depend upon the amount of electricity that you use. The less you use, the smaller the battery bank required or, conversely, the longer the batteries that you do have should last between charge.

Beware of electric fridges as they are often the main electricity consumer. I would suggest that you might be pushing things a bit to expect your batteries to last more than a couple of days if you're running a fridge/freezer.

Running things via your Inverter can be another gobbler of power.

Beware also of the size of the toilet waste retention tank. Ours is small - it will last two people approximately a fortnight. We placed a higher priority on the extra storage space that we could gain under the bed by having a small toilet tank.

Hope that helps.

Sorry, never heard of Hesford Marine in 30 odd years of narrow boating so can't pass an opinion.

Roger

Well respected builder on Bridgewater Canal near Lymm, but no longer in the business of shell building, I believe the marina has been under new ownership for a while. Every Hesford boat I've seen has a certain style but they aren't well known outside the North.

As for Liverpool Boats being "cheap and cheerful at best", that is unfair. You might say they are the Ford Mondeo of the narrowboat world but there's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Neil2

Well respected builder on Bridgewater Canal near Lymm, but no longer in the business of shell building, I believe the marina has been under new ownership for a while. Every Hesford boat I've seen has a certain style but they aren't well known outside the North.

+1 for Hesfords. Good reputation on the Bridgewater. However, it's obviously not a name where people will be able to tell you it's a great make, unlike Reeves, Piper, etc..

I knew nothing about narrowboats when I bought my present 50ft boat. I knew it was a Liverpool hull with a EMC fitout and had a full survey and the surveyor loved it, Trad, beta engine, simple layout and said "if I don't buy it he will" No major problems with the survey just a few minor electric issues., Earth and fuse the invertor, label the DC system, and blacking and anodes. Hull readings were good for a 13 year old craft.

I paid 25k and have found no issues with the build quality. Don't discount a Liverpool boat but always get a full survey on any boat.

Narrowboat1003.jpg

Jamescheers.gif

Actually I'd like to know what evidence those who question the quality of Liverpool boats have. Compared to Springers which were unashamedly "cheap and cheerful" Liverpool boats seem to me to be well above average quality.

And yes, surveyors do seem to like them. Enough said.

Edited by Neil2

Actually I'd like to know what evidence those who question the quality of Liverpool boats have. Compared to Springers which were unashamedly "cheap and cheerful" Liverpool boats seem to me to be well above average quality.

And yes, surveyors do seem to like them. Enough said.

People who slag off Liverpool Boats are just boat snobs, no different in principal to the snobs on gin palaces on the Thames who turn their noses up at the sight of any canal boat (even a posh one). Unfortunately many of us are not in the position to buy a Barry Hawkins, Louis & Joshua or other top end boat, just as we're not rich enough to buy a Bentley or a Ferrari. So we make do with what we can afford and LBs are perfectly good, decent quality boats.

Having said that, it was probably very rare to buy a new LB without a few minor problems, but these were usually easily rectified. Anyway, what boat doesn't come with a few problems?

People who slag off Liverpool Boats are just boat snobs, no different in principal to the snobs on gin palaces on the Thames who turn their noses up at the sight of any canal boat (even a posh one). Unfortunately many of us are not in the position to buy a Barry Hawkins, Louis & Joshua or other top end boat, just as we're not rich enough to buy a Bentley or a Ferrari. So we make do with what we can afford and LBs are perfectly good, decent quality boats.

Exactly. Well said.

Actually though regarding "gin palaces" I was pleasantly surprised at how friendly, without exception, all the folks on big cruisers were when we were on the Thames, they didn't even mind us following them into locks (the fools...).

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far, all comments have been very helpful. I won't discount a Liverpool boat (I've owned a Sierra/Mondeo for many years and have always been happy with my decision - I wouldn't describe them as the best but they have always offered good value).

Ray, congrats on getting an offer on your boat - hope everything goes through ok.

Will hopefully be viewing some/all of the boats during the next few days and I'm glad I posted here as all your comments will help me decide what to do - at least none of you have said avoid xyz like a plague, this at least gives me some confidence that my decision process hasn't gone awol.

Good to have any further comments.