Stourbridge town arm

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Well a first for Telemachus, a first for Jeff and a first even for me! Today we did the Town Arm having come up from Kinver along the very pleasant bottom end of the S&D canal. The arm is quite weedy in places and would clearly benefit from some more traffic, but deep enough and we didn't get anything on the prop. Needless to say we saw no other boats. EXCEPT the one on the blind bend with the bridge, of course. Never mind, only a minor panic and it was a great chance to sound our new (1930s) "Awoogah" klaxonet. The boat coming the other way had a novice helmsman, with the "captain" caught half way along the gunnels. Anyway, disaster averted the captain debriefed the helmsman by telling him that "this is what is known as a crisis, but never mind you coped with it!"

At the end there are a surprisingly large collection of boats, a winding point which doesn't look full length to me, but no visitor moorings. Never mind, the natives were friendly and we got to use someone else's slot since they were permanently tied up to the very fine bonded warehouse doing a fit-out. A very secure spot with BW key to get out.

Stourbridge town centre was surprisingly pleasant. No graffiti, and a different gene pool from Brum. The brummies are of course all rather fat, ugly and poorly dressed, whereas the Stourbridgeians looked healthy, smart and almost posh. Hopefully I am allowed to say all that, being born in Brummieland myself!

Some really nice looking old buildings in the town centre, and more importantly a large Waitrose.

We had planned to get to Merry Hill tonight, but were running rather late. ETA would be 9pm, well after dark. I think we will get a better night's sleep here than risking the 10th lock at Delph.

Anyway, the moral is that the Town Arm is well worth doing.

Edited by nicknorman

The winding hole regularly allows the full length tripped Blackcountryman to turn, you've no problems at all. The visitor moorings are beyond the last bridge but the locals who run the dock and warehouse are normally happy to let casual moorers stay safer in the enclosed area. I'm still slightly surprised at the badlands reputation that the whole area has....I've boated on it for half a century with few problems, other than the expected bladefuls. I suppose that living locally gives me a different perspective to most boaters, sometimes I think I'm in a different world!!! Enjoy your trip, would touch base with a regular contributor but the sea and Sun in Zakynthos are too good to miss!

Cheers

Dave

I suspect my perception of the winding hole length was affected by the presence of a boat tied up outside the warehouse. On reflection, I can see that there would be plenty of room if it weren't there.

Jo_, no good telling me that now, we've done our shopping!

Stourbridge is one of the most wealthy constituencies in the country and is the place most Black Country folk used to dream of living in. The houses in South Stourbridge are vast and expensive with an Aston Martin dealership to hand in Hagley. It's where the owners and managers of the mines and glassworks lived. The centre has suffered grievously from the development of the Merry Hell centre leaving the impression that it's down at heel; it's not. The folk who live there are some of the most friendly you could wish to meet. I loved living there.

The winding hole regularly allows the full length tripped Blackcountryman to turn, you've no problems at all. The visitor moorings are beyond the last bridge but the locals who run the dock and warehouse are normally happy to let casual moorers stay safer in the enclosed area. I'm still slightly surprised at the badlands reputation that the whole area has....I've boated on it for half a century with few problems, other than the expected bladefuls. I suppose that living locally gives me a different perspective to most boaters, sometimes I think I'm in a different world!!! Enjoy your trip, would touch base with a regular contributor but the sea and Sun in Zakynthos are too good to miss!

Cheers

Dave

I have moored there overnight as well with no problem

Another thumbs up for Stourbridge, the surrounding area and the friendly locals.

Don't look to your right between locks 11-10 going up the Stourbridge flight or you might get the urge to change your boat for something with a bit of class.

Edited by andywatson
  • Greenie 1

Well Nick you will get a friendly wellcome in the "Bird in hand" pub 50 yards from Dadfords wharf. You could also ask Ian or David for a price to cut off the forend of your winkle picker and put a proper bow on, did you see Andy Dowlings washer Josher at the end of the arm? You would struggle to tell if it is riveted or washered.

• Greenie 1

Well Nick you will get a friendly wellcome in the "Bird in hand" pub 50 yards from Dadfords wharf. You could also ask Ian or David for a price to cut off the forend of your winkle picker and put a proper bow on, did you see Andy Dowlings washer Josher at the end of the arm? You would struggle to tell if it is riveted or washered.

No, we are night stopping in Stourbridge so won't do the 16 until tomorrow.

Why would I want to deface my classic boat? Well, maybe not a classic yet it give it 50 years, when all the old wooden junk is just some worm's excrement, it will be a classic, historic boat.

Why would I want to deface my classic boat? Well, maybe not a classic yet it give it 50 years, when all the old wooden junk is just some worm's excrement, it will be a classic, historic boat.

I bet Carlt will be having a fit at that comment.

At least I'm safe, I'm boating in the Netherlands so my senses will not be offended with the passing of your bows past Dadfords.

Have a look as you pass always something of interest going on in a proper boat yard.

Is this the classic you had in mind, Nick?

_-heinz-baked-bean.jpg

we cruised down the arm in the summer, We didn't see another boat either - until the wharf at the end. The wharf was full, so we moored outside - and all was well!

We couldn't believe how clean the water was - you can see shoals and shoals of fish under the boat! Weeds could have been a problem if we had had to venture close to the edge, but we didn't, so they weren't!

We found Waitrose too, and a very nice Chinese just a few minutes from the boat! Well worth the diversion - more people should have a look down the arm!

We couldn't believe how clean the water was - you can see shoals and shoals of fish under the boat! Weeds could have been a problem if we had had to venture close to the edge, but we didn't, so they weren't!

Yes, the water is very clear, both sides of the Dudley divide. I presume a lot of clean water comes out of the Dudley tunnel and surrounding mines. The fish certainly like it, as you say.

Yes, the water is very clear, both sides of the Dudley divide. I presume a lot of clean water comes out of the Dudley tunnel and surrounding mines. The fish certainly like it, as you say.

Most of the BCN is clear water till some dam boat stirs it up. The Bradley mine pumps are certainly clean water.

Having gone in Dadfords basin head first I can assure you that altho it is clear it cretainly tastes crap! I survived.

Most of the BCN is clear water till some dam boat stirs it up. The Bradley mine pumps are certainly clean water.

They weren't in 2012! The pumps by the CRT workshop were bringing up bright orange water

Richard

Just passed Dadford's. Yes, very picturesque, although it would have looked better if it had more closely resembled Glascote basin. I did notice a profusion of worms in the water, just waiting for their lunch.

And the next little pound pretty with what really ought to be a pub but is in fact a store/off licence.

Edited by nicknorman

I noticed this on the Old Main Line near the turnoff to the Dudley Tunnel and the Black Country Museum on visits over the last couple of years. I'm not sure if this is a relatively new thing, or whether I just hadn't noticed it before.

The water was gin-clear. Not something you usually associate with the BCN!