Stourbridge town arm

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Unless I am having a bad brain fade,I am sure there is a big Tesco just off the High Street,near the old Town Hall,or whatever it was. Surprised to hear that Stourbridge is a wealthy area. We thought there were a lot of charity shops. Somebody told me there are a lot of antique dealers in the town,but we have not found them. We have not walked far from the Bonded Warehouse,maybe.we need to walk a bit farther?

Unless I am having a bad brain fade,I am sure there is a big Tesco just off the High Street,near the old Town Hall,or whatever it was. Surprised to hear that Stourbridge is a wealthy area. We thought there were a lot of charity shops. Somebody told me there are a lot of antique dealers in the town,but we have not found them. We have not walked far from the Bonded Warehouse,maybe.we need to walk a bit farther?

The Tesco is on the Ring Road just up from the Bonded Warehouse (Going against the traffic). There is a Waitrose in the town centre.

I was bought up in Stourbridge but haven't lived there for 35 years, certainly wasn't full of antique shops then!

Stourbridge, like all the town centres around there was badly affected by the opening of the Merry Hill Centre,not as badly as Dudley though, and has taken a long time to re-establish it's identity.

My favourite drinking hole from that era was the Bathams pub in Enville Street (The Royal Exchange) Have heard that the Home brew pub in Coventry Street, The Duke William, is worth a visit.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

If you are a fan of whisky, then the wine merchant Nickolls and Perks is the place to go in Stourbridge town center, they carry a huge range.

It’s well worth looking at their web site.

Their prices seem reasonable. Currently, ten year old Ardbeg is £41.26 while Tesco are selling it for £47.00.

Although they do also have a fifty year old Glenfiddich in stock for £19,800

http://www.nickollsandperks.co.uk

The entrance to Tesco is in the same complex as the entrance to the town hall and library.

The easiest way to walk to the town center and Tesco is to walk through the underpass under the ring road and then walk up lower high street which is up a slight hill.

At the top of lower high street Nickolls and Perks is a white building on the left hand side. Turn left here to go down Coventry Street to get to the Duke William that Tim Lewis mentioned or turn right and go through some glass doors to find the Library and the entrance to Tesco.

Waitrose is also a short walk from here up Market Street.

If you are a fan of whisky, then the wine merchant Nickolls and Perks is the place to go in Stourbridge town center, they carry a huge range.

Its well worth looking at their web site.

Their prices seem reasonable. Currently, ten year old Ardbeg is £41.26 while Tesco are selling it for £47.00.

Although they do also have a fifty year old Glenfiddich in stock for £19,800

http://www.nickollsandperks.co.uk

The entrance to Tesco is in the same complex as the entrance to the town hall and library.

The easiest way to walk to the town center and Tesco is to walk through the underpass under the ring road and then walk up lower high street which is up a slight hill.

At the top of lower high street Nickolls and Perks is a white building on the left hand side. Turn left here to go down Coventry Street to get to the Duke William that Tim Lewis mentioned or turn right and go through some glass doors to find the Library and the entrance to Tesco.

Waitrose is also a short walk from here up Market Street.

Strewth, I remember Nickolls and Perks being there in the 1970's !

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

• 3 weeks later...

Yes Nickoll and Perks still there and owned and run by the Gardner family. My long time friend Tim Robbins is marketing man there and organises the various gin and whisky fairs they they hold. He is also in charge of the tours and tasting. A very useful man to know.

They are also customers of mine as I look after their data networks and comms.