The narrow bits of the Llangollen. What happens there then?

Zayna

Featured Posts

There are two stretches which are one boat wide where the signs say send someone ahead.Preferably both lookout and seerer will either have radios or mobile phones to tell the steerer when its clear.. The first stretch is through a recently built concrete channel. This stretch has passing places which are long enough for one boat and are marked by white sticks. On this stretch, if you are in convoy, its best to leave a good gap to the boat in front so that if the front boat pulls into a passing place, you can use the previous passing place. The second stretch is cut through rock without any passing places and is quite a long stretch, it takes me some time to get through here with a 2’ 4” draught boat. Of course, if any boat coming the other way follows the signs, they will send someone ahead and you should see their lookout before you enter this section.

As well as the narrow bits, I was told by somebody recently that a boat longer than 60' would struggle to make some of the corners. This was news to me. Is that true?

Ours is 62 plus the fenders - never had a problem anywhere on the Llangollen.

Incidentally, when you get there, there is a choice of (paid) moorings. You can either moor on line - there is a little CaRT hut where you pay, or go further on a couple of hundred yards, where you will find a small basin with pontoon moorings. The surrounding scenery in the basin is stunning, whereas the other moorings are more than a little overhung with trees. Either way you will find electricity hook-up points with water taps.

Edited by homer2911

Ours is 62 plus the fenders - never had a problem anywhere on the Llangollen.

Incidentally, when you get there, there is a choice of (paid) moorings. You can either moor on line - there is a little CaRT hut where you pay, or go further on a couple of hundred yards, where you will find a small basin with pontoon moorings. The surrounding scenery in the basin is stunning, whereas the other moorings are more than a little overhung with trees. Either way you will find electricity hook-up points with water taps.

The CRT hut is now seemingly closed. When we were up a few weeks ago, you paid at the horse boat office/cafe.

If you moor at Llangollen, try a walk up to the ruined castle on the hill above the basin. Google for Llangollen castle or

Castell Dinas Bran. The views from the hill are excellent.

What...!!?...

I got breathless just looking at that !!

Are you some kind of mountain goat..?

I agree though..the basin scenery is great.

When we moored there..the warden came to us (eventually) and took the dosh and issued a ticket.

You can hook up to the power and water...and join everyone else..in Hoover and washing machine heaven in a boat surrounded by suds...

Oh the house of..?....(was it..?..) the three old ladies of Llangollen is also worth a visit.

I thought the pubs were naff but there was a good curry house.

Edited by Bobbybass

We did it in the days before mobile phones but were lucky in that we followed a boat that had a walkie talkie so one of the crew went on ahead. It's by no means the only place on the network that has this problem, eg there's a stretch I think it's south of Rugeley(?) where it's pretty much impossible to proceed without a "scout". I quite like these little encumbrances, as on a quiet day you can bet your life a boat is going to be coming the other way.

If you moor at Llangollen, try a walk up to the ruined castle on the hill above the basin. Google for Llangollen castle or

Castell Dinas Bran. The views from the hill are excellent.

We went up there a couple of years ago and I agree the views are great. You can see the aqueduct from there but when I've been on the aqueduct I've not been able to see Dinas Bran.

You do wonder about people living up there though when it was a castle. A hell of a trek to the shops!

Nervous.

We might get there, we might not.

What's the procedure for those great big long stretches where it's only one boat wide?

help.gif

I just go, if someone is coming the other way I will see the lookout they sent ahead. If I start before them their lookout will tell them to wait. Same at Rugeley tunnel

If single handing go up after 19:00, then leave before 07:00 the next day. You are lass likely to meet anyone...and you will almost definitely not find anyone to pay your overnite mooring fee to. It worked for me last May.smile.png

i walked ahead with a walkie talkie, i am too nervous to just chance it, think we only saw one passing place big enough for perhaps two boats to wait in to be passed but then if you sned someone ahead no need to worry about it. It was a good walk anyway lovely countryside/views.To be honest, and i know i may upset a few people here, but i would be slightly annoyed if i walked ahead to check whilst my boat waited if there was a boat coming the other way with no sign of a scout. if no one sent scouts/ lookouts ahead there would be big problems at busy times. I accept of course that is a different matter when single handing.

We did it in the days before mobile phones but were lucky in that we followed a boat that had a walkie talkie so one of the crew went on ahead. It's by no means the only place on the network that has this problem, eg there's a stretch I think it's south of Rugeley(?) where it's pretty much impossible to proceed without a "scout". I quite like these little encumbrances, as on a quiet day you can bet your life a boat is going to be coming the other way.

That's been bugging me all evening cos we've been through there a few times so I had to peek at Nicholsons. It's where Armitage tunnel used to be - I always jump off and scout ahead. Like you say it's all good fun.

The only time we've been right into Llangollen was on our first narrowboat holiday, before mobile phones were owned by just about everybody. We had a two way radio and I scouted ahead. I seem to remember the boat behind us was single handed and he was glad that ours had someone aboard to do this.

The one way/one boat set up is one of the best kept secrets on the entire canal system. We went last August and I thought that I had read a lot of stuff about the canal and Llangollen but it came as a complete surprise to me.

We got through ok sending a walker in front and didn't meet anyone as it happened.

If you send someone ahead, it's usually fine.I've never had any problems, though you occassionally have to wait a bit - but the same is true of the tunnels and the aqueduct.

There are stories, though.....

I know of at least 2 fights (from reasonalby credible sources), and I've seen a stand-up argument as a consequence of two boats failing to send a walker ahead. All during the school holiday silly season.

worth noting that the trip boat never sends anyone ahead, but he knows where to sit to get a good look down the whole length. He also takes no prisoners!