Lock Dimensions - Oxford to Gloucester & Sharpness

Lunasea7

Featured Posts

Chalk and string wink.png Hahaha.. don't worry.. ive run an precision engineering company for 35 years. Its 7 foot. It does fit through Dukes Lock as long as there is nothing jammed behind the gate (had to use a long pole to un-lodge debris already) . We've done that a few times already.

A dear friend of mine who died in a car cash 4 years ago. An extremely brilliant boat builder/welder who worked there. He built several. Its had a full survey. He worked at Alchemy Boats in Oxford. No it wasn't the guy who owned the yard.

Then it is a one off.

I do think trying to go via the Severn (Bristol/Sharpness) at this time of year, is a non starter, you could be stuck for months waiting for the conditions to be right.

Good luck, I expect it to be fine going via the Oxford, you may still have a problem when you want to go down the Severn as that may be in flood.

Boating is one long pleasure.

cheers.gif

Then it is a one off.

Its not a one off there are several here he built. All good standards and workmanship. As well as sculptures, wood burners/ ovens and other multitudes of engineering. God rest his soul.. a brilliant craftsman that left us far too soon!

It's a one off, a very special one, in the fact that it is built to 7' width when most if not all other builders have been building to 6' 10'' for quite some time now.

It is obviously not a 'run of the mill' narrowboat.

Long may you enjoy her and have good memories of your friend.

cheers.gif

It's a one off, a very special one, in the fact that it is built to 7' width when most if not all other builders have been building to 6' 10'' for quite some time now.

It is obviously not a 'run of the mill' narrowboat.

Long may you enjoy her and have good memories of your friend.

cheers.gif

It doesn't mean it was 'built' to 7'! There are a couple or more around the south oxford that are a bit mider than most.

Good luck, I expect it to be fine going via the Oxford, you may still have a problem when you want to go down the Severn as that may be in flood.

cheers.gif

You can keep an eye on the Severn gauges here: http://www.rwilson.org.uk/severn.html

If you look today you can see the tidal variations up as far as Haw bridge - it's particularly high today!

There are some big Severn bores coming 19-22 Sept too captain.gif

You can keep an eye on the Severn gauges here: http://www.rwilson.org.uk/severn.html

If you look today you can see the tidal variations up as far as Haw bridge - it's particularly high today!

There are some big Severn bores coming 19-22 Sept too captain.gif

I think we will travel down the oxford route. Went over the severn bridge today and your right.. it was very choppy! Thanks for the link :)

• 3 years later...

I AM Steve Goodlad, builder of 27 Alchemy boats, 96 to 2015. Mostly 6' 11.5" wide ,mostly with a Riverclass bow, and increased headroom. There is no problem on 95% of the system, as I would like to think I built true and staright.

YES SADLY BOTH my yards were closed for the same reason, the Jericho site by BW for housing - still derelict. They offered me a tiny mooring space to operate a whalf only service, but no planning, so  used this to store a boat, whilst waiting for room at my new private landowner yard at kinsbidge yarnton Oxfd. I think this was 08 to 15. Unfortunatly 2015 was the end of AB as yest again the land was sold for housing. I was evicted, and charged for yard clearance....

1 hour ago, steve goodlad said:

I AM Steve Goodlad, builder of 27 Alchemy boats, 96 to 2015. Mostly 6' 11.5" wide 

Welcome to the forum!

Why 6' 11.5"?

I say thay as someone with a 7' 3/8" wide historic boat. Why add another 1.5" which the customer won't notice, until they try to, say, get up Hurleston onto the Llangollen canal, and find they can't?