Stern types.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

From what you say there is no question in my view. You need a trad stern.

That will give you some more useful cabin space, but above all you will be vastly more sheltered and warmer on the tiller in bad weather.

We have a trad and wouldn't change it. We boat all year round and see steerers frozen on the open decks of cruiser stern boats when we are warm on our back step.

We have hired cruisers too, so have direct experience of these. They are lovely on the rare warm summer days when you have a crowd aboard to share the back deck. How often will that happen for you?

Semi-trads seem to me to be the worst of both with few of the advantages of either trad or cruiser.

• Greenie 1

Having hired for years on cruiser sterns and own my own boat for many years on a 'trad' stern.

A 'trad' stern every time.

My thoughts, you will be on your own and standing in front of the tiller swing, not at the side of it, and inside the cabin you will be much safer.

The engine controls are usually easier to reach on a 'trad' stern and stops the need to bend forward and down, to reach the controls whilst trying to steer at the same time.

Oh! it is also warmer, especially if you shut the back doors.

Semi-trads seem to me to be the worst of both with few of the advantages of either trad or cruiser.

Not so! So often have we seen the "other half" of a trad helmsman either standing on the steps with little more than the top of their head peeking over the hatch - or worse, standing outside on the gunnel, clinging on for dear life. Where's the pleasure?

Our semi-trad deck offers some protection from the weather but has room for helmsman plus 2-3 others, offers locker storage for the mucky stuff you wouldn't want in your cabin, and with a suitable covering you can work on your engine in the dry. Takes up far less space than a cruiser stern thus you get more useable space inside the boat.

Best of both in our view.

I don't have any experience of cruiser sterns, so could be making some incorrect assumptions, but for single handing not only is there the warmth in winter issue, but the fact that you can have everything you need quickly accessible with a trad stern - rope & windlass on the slide in front of you, kettle simmering on the stove near your feet, vast array of clothing - waterproofs, hat - hanging on a hook within arm's reach, sunnys, suncream in a cupboard near your knees......so that you can grab whatever you need without having to leave the tiller.

Edited by twooh10

Whatever stern you choose unless you have a "centre" engine room or you intend to pay someone else to do the maintenance then take careful note of access to the engine & batteries. By and large I have found cruiser sterns often have the best access. Also be aware of potential fume/smell problems in the living accommodation unless the engine is the other side of decent bulkheads. The cruiser and semi-trad sterns often are good here.

I'm a single hander and I have a large square cruiser stern and I wouldn't change it for the other styles for anything. I just like the space. I can move around easily.

It does indeed have all the drawbacks mentioned.

I aim to install a car type fan heater running off the engine to help with the cold together with some matting stop the feet getting cold.

The controls are exposed and not secure which is a nuisance.

There is plenty of tiller room and I can swing it fully and still be comfortably behind it.

I like having the engine quite removed from the cabin space and working access to everything is good.

I have room for two gas 13Kg gas bottles leaving the bow locker free for solid fuel.

Rain drainage sometimes but rarely defeats the three drainage channels and then only by a tiny amount, not enough to cover the floor of the bilge.

At 60ft for one person I can afford a large stern and a large bow well deck and still feel only slightly short of space inside. I suspect I would still feel a little short even if it were 100ft long.

I am going to be careful to never try steering a trad/semi just in case I might like it!

Edit

To date I have found that I have been able to get into the cabin and get anything I need without having to stop the boat. I have not yet tried tending the mid-boat stove yet, I suspect that might be going too far.

Edited by system 4-50

Will you have a dog- we have a cruiser stern and the dog loves it- but I think we'd trip over him on a trad stern- obviously Trad owners do have dogs, so this is a personal view

Friends have a cruiser stern with a pram cover and call it (tongue in cheek)- the conservatory- They put fold up chairs and table in there for dinner- and basically its another room

Yup as expected everyone likes something different, I would suggest making friends with people with different types of stern and trying them out or maybe hiring to get a feel for what works for you.

We have a semi trad which seemed like the worst all all worlds but I like it now, we can sit down whilst someone else steers, there's lots of handy space to put things whilst driving, the engine is accessible, there is storage for gas and all manner of other things, we can sit out in the evening, with a cover on it makes a handy wet shoe/coat area. We can have the back open with the cover on and not get rain inside (having back doors would be useful as the back is currently open wheather we like it or not) . When we get a dog we can encourage it to sit on the seats if it wants to be outside so it doesn't fall off or get in the way, same with other people's visiting children. It's actually rather good. I first thought I would like a cruiser stern but there are two of us and we sit at the front instead so we probably wouldn't use a big back deck. A trad appeals but I like having outdoor space to store stuff I don't want inside so semi trad is the best of both worlds to me.

Not so! So often have we seen the "other half" of a trad helmsman either standing on the steps with little more than the top of their head peeking over the hatch - or worse, standing outside on the gunnel, clinging on for dear life. Where's the pleasure?

Our semi-trad deck offers some protection from the weather but has room for helmsman plus 2-3 others, offers locker storage for the mucky stuff you wouldn't want in your cabin, and with a suitable covering you can work on your engine in the dry. Takes up far less space than a cruiser stern thus you get more useable space inside the boat.

Another vote for a semi-trad stern for the reasons above. I also think that a semi-trad provides a much more sensible place for gas bottle stowage.

Howard

Personally I think Cruiser sterns are dangerous - along with any form of fixed seating on a Trad stern. If the rudder catches during a reverse manoeuvre the rail (or seat) will act as a pivot, catapulting you head first into the propellor. I know of two deaths that happened this way, there may be more. With a clear deck as on a Trad you at very worst may fall in feet first from which you have a much greater chance of survival.

A trad stern with a larger than normal hatch; gives the nearest to the best of all worlds that I have seen, but I would say that as that is what we have.

Edited by john6767

Weed hatch access can be a real problem with trad-stern boats, if you have to crawl in the space between the deck and the hatch. It there is access from the deck, the prop can be a long way down. But for that, trad-stern would be my first choice.

Personally I think Cruiser sterns are dangerous - along with any form of fixed seating on a Trad stern. If the rudder catches during a reverse manoeuvre the rail (or seat) will act as a pivot, catapulting you head first into the propellor. I know of two deaths that happened this way, there may be more. With a clear deck as on a Trad you at very worst may fall in feet first from which you have a much greater chance of survival.

Cruiser sterns,in fact all narrowboats are not really dangerous are they! People that use them might be but surely not a boat that moves at around 3 mph.

Ian.

I think the risk of this is overplayed - yes there are 2 known examples of hirers being killed in this way but I would say inexperience played at least a part in both those incidents.

The secret is to keep out of the tiller arc especially if reversing and in locks, then they are perfectly safe.

I think the risk of this is overplayed - yes there are 2 known examples of hirers being killed in this way but I would say inexperience played at least a part in both those incidents.

The secret is to keep out of the tiller arc especially if reversing and in locks, then they are perfectly safe.

Only one of the deaths that I know of was a hirer. You must know of another one.

Good safety comes from eliminating the risk - not by attempting to contain it. It is the logical corollary of Murphy's Law.

I like our trad stern because there's somewhere handy within easy reach to put map/camera/mug of tea/beer :)

Oh, and in winter when the rain is lashing down, wearing a wide-brimmed hat, stern doors closed and the back fire lit, it's a very cosy world indeed :)

Only one of the deaths that I know of was a hirer. You must know of another one.

Good safety comes from eliminating the risk - not by attempting to contain it. It is the logical corollary of Murphy's Law.

There was a lady killed on the Oxford falling off the back of a Kate Hire boat in a lock in 2009 and a guy killed on the T&M at Alrewas on a Canal Time in 2006.

I don't agree you can eliminate all risks associated with boating - that would be completely unrealistic, you can however 'manage' risk which staying out of the the tiller arc achieves in this instance.

Oxford incident

Alrewas incident

ed to add links and correct dates, plus one more to correct link.

Edited by The Dog House