Winter Moorings, how many paid for them last year

andy the hammer

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

I was chatting to an enforcement chap last w/e. He said that in an ideal world, CRT would like every CC'er to have a Winter mooring, but this wasn't on the cards at present.

However, he said it has been suggested that even in harsh iced in conditions, they will still enforce the 14 day rule, and charge over stayers. He said this was because too many CC'ers managed to get iced in and over stay eg near their favourite pub etc. Discretion may be exercised, but this would be taken case by case depending on circumstances.

Sorry but I'm still a tad confused. We will be at the western end of the K&A in October so if I turn round and head back eastwards, taking account of the various stoppages (most of which are in November-December) and not staying for more than 14 days anywhere do I need any sort of winter mooring permit?

Sorry but I'm still a tad confused. We will be at the western end of the K&A in October so if I turn round and head back eastwards, taking account of the various stoppages (most of which are in November-December) and not staying for more than 14 days anywhere do I need any sort of winter mooring permit?

Not that I'm aware. We're doing something similar. currently in Devizes area heading toward Bath, weather we go all the way not sure, might turn back to here in a couple of month's, who knows LOL I'll not be paying for any mooring though, once bitten twice shy LOL

How can C&RT possibly say they will pursue someone iced in? Surely no court in the land would uphold that decision.

Bob

If they did indeed say that then that's rather a stupid thing to say. As you suggest I would be extremely surprised if any judge could uphold that on any basis whatsoever.

I had a winter mooring last year and never again . CRT didnt sell too much and it's not suprising as I paid 200 quid a month whilst other boats turned up and overstayed for free , one boat for 3 months ! The bottom line is that they are unable to enforce the winter moorings on a VM how are they going to do so on hundreds of miles of muddy bank ? I believe the reason they are doing the present moorings is as they didn't sell many VM's to the privaliged few last year they are trying to get everybody to fork out cash this year .

I was chatting to an enforcement chap last w/e. He said that in an ideal world, CRT would like every CC'er to have a Winter mooring, but this wasn't on the cards at present.

However, he said it has been suggested that even in harsh iced in conditions, they will still enforce the 14 day rule, and charge over stayers. He said this was because too many CC'ers managed to get iced in and over stay eg near their favourite pub etc. Discretion may be exercised, but this would be taken case by case depending on circumstances.

The enforcement officer? hasn`t got a clue. If CRT provide water to cruise on then they can enforce 14 of whatever mooring limits. Not sure when I last saw an ice breaker along the canals so I shall rest in peace if I get iced in.

Circumstances where it is reasonable to stay in one neighbourhood or locality for longer than 14 days are where further movement is prevented by causes outside the reasonable control of the boater.

Examples include temporary mechanical breakdown preventing cruising until repairs are complete, emergency navigation stoppage, impassable ice or serious illness (for which medical evidence may be required).

Circumstances where it is reasonable to stay in one neighbourhood or locality for longer than 14 days are where further movement is prevented by causes outside the reasonable control of the boater.

Examples include temporary mechanical breakdown preventing cruising until repairs are complete, emergency navigation stoppage, impassable ice or serious illness (for which medical evidence may be required).

Note that normal (planned winter) stoppages aren't on that list.

Note that normal (planned winter) stoppages aren't on that list.

I suppose there will always be boaters that use stoppages as an excuse but that has to be for CRT to overcome. I guess they could slot in some small print but at the end of the day everyone knows the rules and right from wrong regardless of how much folk want to argue the wording to suit themselves.

Personally sitting behind a stoppage for weeks on end is not my idea of cruising but as I`ve said before each to their own and let the landlord sort out the problems.