Shoreline connector

Ricco1

Featured Posts

With my boat I received a shoreline connector with the round connector piece at one end, a standard plug at the other. The flex is only a foot or so long. I also received a much longer piece of flex with just a standard plug at one end. The other end has been cut off.

I need a connection from a generator to the shoreline socket. The short cable is insufficient, it would mean exhaust fumes going into the boat.

Would it be safe to cut the connector off the short flex then attach it to the longer one?

Thanks

You have to do what you need to do if you're miles from anywhere and both ends are moulded onto the lead. But you shouldn't need to cut the connector off, they come apart just like a domestic plug. There should be two screws visible when looking end on - undo these to split it open and then you can wire it to the longer lead. The connectors can be bought quite cheaply in all boat/ caravan suppliers and even the larger B&Q stores. Could save butchering a perfectly good lead.

With my boat I received a shoreline connector with the round connector piece at one end, a standard plug at the other. The flex is only a foot or so long. I also received a much longer piece of flex with just a standard plug at one end. The other end has been cut off.

I need a connection from a generator to the shoreline socket. The short cable is insufficient, it would mean exhaust fumes going into the boat.

Would it be safe to cut the connector off the short flex then attach it to the longer one?

Thanks

Not sure what you have in mind when you use the word attach ohmy.png

If the longer lead is of adequate length just buy the appropriate plug/socket for each end to make a lead dedicated to the job. Normally boats and many generators use the blue round pin 16 amp connectors.available from Screwfix and chandelries.

the important thing to remember is to put the genny on the bank, not on the boat. Not only will you get less vibration and noise, but most importantly, any carbon monoxide fumes and petrol fumes will not end up inside the boat. I chain the genny to the boat, so it can't get nicked, but run it on the bank.

We have three lengths of 16amp 'ceeform' leads. Shortish one about 10ft or so, one about 20ft, and a one about 120ft, and then a 10ft 13amp squarepin to 16amp socket for use with the generator or other 13amp outlets, in conjunction with the other leads if required.

We also have a couple of 13amp leads for running powertools from the boat, and a short 6amp plug to 13amp socket lead for running powertools from a 16amp socket away from the boat.

Modern regs dictate that there must be a socket for each berth, with about 20ft or so, but there are lots of older or non-conforming setups with do not follow the current regs.

Daniel