barrus shire electric fuel pump

peterboat

Featured Posts

Hi All on sunday my engine refused to start after a bit of diagnostics I realised it was the fuel pump. it was making the right noises but nowt was coming out. I ordered a facet with filter to replace it (33 quids amazon it arrived today put the old connection block on and bobs your uncle etc. However the old pump was opened up and low and behold its crap thats stopped it working!! In cars there is always a filter before the pump to stop the afore mentioned rust particles etc but in boats they cant be bothered it seems, so if you have one of these pumps I would be fitting a aluminium inline filter before it double quick! as they are cheap and the pumps arnt so cheap!! anyone else had this same fault? cheers

Peter

I agree but Boat builders engine fitters just dont fit them! mine has one now but my old boat was just the same

Peter

I would be surprised to come across a boat that didn't have a fuel filter at the very least before the engine filters. Even my old 1987 Liverpool Boats had one.

Must be something thing that Vetus do right: Mine has the big filter/aglomerator after the tank, a fuel filter on the side of the engine, and a small filter inside of the electric fuel pump.

i have a barrus and there are two filters before the pump.i always assumed that barrus fitted the engine or appointed a fitter.this is how it came when the boat was built.

No. You buy the engine and fit it. Barrus sell engines other people fit them, they may provide installation information but it is for whoever is installing the engine at the end of the day.

No. You buy the engine and fit it. Barrus sell engines other people fit them, they may provide installation information but it is for whoever is installing the engine at the end of the day.

either way,who ever installed it put in two filters before the pump.

I think the OP is taking lift pumps here.

My barrus has the lift pump before the filter too, I think it's (unfortunately) common practice. That said, my engine works fine with gravity as long as the 50g tank has more than a couple of inches in it, so it's not a problem if you just bypass it.

Edited by deletedaccount

I think the OP is taking lift pumps here.

My barrus has the lift pump before the filter too, I think it's (unfortunately) common practice. That said, my engine works fine with gravity as long as the 50g tank has more than a couple of inches in it, so it's not a problem if you just bypass it.

You got it the trouble is my pump was blocked so whilst at it and for easier bleeding I put an electric pump back in line with a filter before it. Engine revs much better so all is good for 33 squids

Peter