Been looking at boats, can't decide!

Ricco1

Featured Posts

I've looked at a few boats recently. Some people on here say you know straight away when you see 'the one' but I like 2, and can't decide between them!

One is a Hallmark made in 1998. Everything I need is on there but it's a bit tired in appearance, and has certainly been neglected.

Then there's a 1989 Springer that's clearly been loved, it's close to immaculate inside and out.

The older boat is advertised at £3,000 more than the Hallmark. I'd have full surveys done on each if I agreed a purchase.

I know you haven't seen the boats but on the evidence of what I've told you, which way would you be leaning?

I'd see both boats - even if it requires an investment of time eg a day each. The reason is, whichever you go to see, and eventually buy, you'll always wonder if the other boat was better. Also, looking at specifications on paper and pics are only half the info, you really need to stand in a boat to get the feeling of the ambience of it. They say that a boat finds you, not the other way round.

Thanks for that. The boats are fairly close to each other. I went to see them both today. That's the problem you see, I've stood on both, looked all around them, spent 2 hours chatting to the owners and other boaters nearby, but I just can't decide!

Should I go for the sparkly clean immaculately fitted out one that might need hull work in 5-10 years, or the slightly neglected one that more than likely has a sounder hull?

Thanks for that. The boats are fairly close to each other. I went to see them both today. That's the problem you see, I've stood on both, looked all around them, spent 2 hours chatting to the owners and other boaters nearby, but I just can't decide!

Should I go for the sparkly clean immaculately fitted out one that might need hull work in 5-10 years, or the slightly neglected one that more than likely has a sounder hull?

post some pics and someone here will give you an opinion. are they the same size? can you compare apples to apples or is one an orange? how much money will you need to put into the older one to make it look like the newer one? which one could you sail away in today and not think about fixing something or replacing something?

• Greenie 1

Why do you think the Springer is more likely to have a less sound hull??

If it's been looked after it is more likely to have been blacked at appropriate intervals whereas the other 'neglected' boat may not have been.

I'd be more inclined towards the Springer TBH. Of course that is without a lot of information or seeing the boats of course.

Perhaps the fact you can't decide means that neither boat is the one for you.

I've been looking at boats for 7 months now and not found the one that has smacked me in the face and said "I'M YOU'RE BOAT!" yet. I've viewed about 30 boats and probably about 6 or 7 of them seriously. If I was happy to just choose one I thought was 'nice' then i'd probably have bought one by now. Also i've always been someone who if I want something, I have to have it straight away. So whilst i'm getting frustrated, i'm also quite pleased with myself for not just buying the first 'nice' one I see.

Maybe you need to not pic either of them but wait until you see one that screams at you to buy it.

I've looked at a few boats recently. Some people on here say you know straight away when you see 'the one' but I like 2, and can't decide between them!

One is a Hallmark made in 1998. Everything I need is on there but it's a bit tired in appearance, and has certainly been neglected.

Then there's a 1989 Springer that's clearly been loved, it's close to immaculate inside and out.

The older boat is advertised at £3,000 more than the Hallmark. I'd have full surveys done on each if I agreed a purchase.

I know you haven't seen the boats but on the evidence of what I've told you, which way would you be leaning?

If the one was the pat for you then you would have used words like, ......lived in.......homely........loved.

I'd see both boats - even if it requires an investment of time eg a day each. The reason is, whichever you go to see, and eventually buy, you'll always wonder if the other boat was better. Also, looking at specifications on paper and pics are only half the info, you really need to stand in a boat to get the feeling of the ambience of it. They say that a boat finds you, not the other way round.

That's what happen to me I did not go to see Monty it was just the girl in the office saying have a look, I've already said , Monty did not tick a few of my boxes but as soon as a stood in her I knew that was the boat for me.

So I agree with your boat will find you.

Edited by davidc

Thanks for the replies. To be perfectly honest I'd be happy to live on either of the boats. But do I want the brighter inside of the cared for one, or the newer hull and bit of work needed with the other?

The less cared for one has apparently been blacked most years, so I think it's very likely the hull has more years left in it.

As for looking at more boats: If I visit more than 2 shops to buy a pair of jeans my mind becomes a whirl. I confuse myself, forget attributes etc and eventually end up going home in a bad mood having bought nothing. It will be the same with boats. I've seen others that weren't for me for various reasons. Now I just want to make a straight choice between these 2, to make an offer on. OK if I viewed a hundred all around the country I might find the perfect boat at the perfect price. But bearing mind earlier in this paragraph, I might not.

I'm going to post links in a minute...

Why not try a for and against list. two sheets paper, 2 columns on each sheet, FOR at top of one column and AGAINST at top of the other column, do this again on other sheet.

Then list all the for and against for each boat. Even down to small things. One boat should hopefully have more fors on the page. Or you can look at the against on each boat. Either way, hopefully it will help you. Look forward to seeing pics of the boats that you are talking about although at the end of the day, the most important opinion, is yours.

• Greenie 1

Just my opinion...

You'll have more fun owning a Springer than a Hallmark. Most boaters have a soft spot for them and there's an active facebook page.

You will have a constant problem keeping the bilge dry on that Hallmark as it has outside steps. Unless you fit a pram cover of course.

Not much in it engine wise, looks like they are both Mitsubishis.

I would definitely "sea trial" both boats. Some people don't like the handling of Springers, they roll a bit more than most NB's and some say they don't steer that well.

I'd definitely buy the Springer though.

Edited by Neil2

For me,it's a no brainier, definitely the Springer.

It would of course depend on the outcome of a hull survey.

I don't particularly like the Vetus engine even though our first boat had a Vetus 10 Hp one.

Only my opinion of course.

Martyn

Springer.

Incidentally, haven't we seen another thread with a link to that Hallmark boat on here recently where several people commented that it was 2 different boats in the advert?

That's the one! I posted for opinions on it before I started physically viewing boats.

Consensus seems to favour the Springer. To be honest I'm sure it would be a nicer boat to live on in many ways. There's more light inside because of bigger windows and there's a really nice side hatch, the roof slides open there too. There are other pluses too.

There are some downsides to it though. The Hallmark has a grill and 2 hobs, the Springer just 2 hobs. I like my toast in the morning! The Hallmark's seating can be used as an occasional guest bed wheras the Springer has a sofa, which can't.

I've viewed a hull survey on the Springer from 4 years ago. The hull was sound and it's been blacked since then. However the bottom plate was as thin as 4.6mm in places. 4 years on, a little thinner maybe?

I'm tending to lean towards the Springer despite the negatives I've mentioned. I can buy a 1000w invertor and power a toaster I think?. And if I have guests they can use my bed, I'll kit myself on the floor for a night.

The one thing that's holding me back is the age, and the previous thickness of the hull. Will I be looking at overplating a few years from now?

Although a "newbie" with little real knowledge I also like the springer, it had more appeal, however if t'were me would ensure survey spot on. Its a veritable minefield choosing a boat, I have seen the one I want, it felt right as soon as I stood on her. Am just waiting for my money to sort out before I can put in an offer, I live in dread someone will buy her. She's right for me.

Perhaps the fact you can't decide means that neither boat is the one for you.

I've been looking at boats for 7 months now and not found the one that has smacked me in the face and said "I'M YOU'RE BOAT!" yet. I've viewed about 30 boats and probably about 6 or 7 of them seriously. If I was happy to just choose one I thought was 'nice' then i'd probably have bought one by now. Also i've always been someone who if I want something, I have to have it straight away. So whilst i'm getting frustrated, i'm also quite pleased with myself for not just buying the first 'nice' one I see.

Maybe you need to not pic either of them but wait until you see one that screams at you to buy it.

It all depends ... 3 years ago i spent ages seaerching so much that my head used to ache adn i thort this is driving me nuts... then I saw my boat and another one that i really liked and it was a case of putting pen to paper and regarding the pros and cons so to speak...and then viewing them both again.

I just sat on each one and imagined how it would be to live on it fulltime and ... mine just said to me 'ime home and you will be very happy here' the other boat had less work to do and was cheaper.. it might seem a bit barmy ..but when you find the right one ... you will just know.. and its such a wonderous feeling :)