Stoke Bruerne Visitor Moorings

Leo No2

Featured Posts

It's crap. Jeff whyatt shows fully how incompetent his research has been. What's even more ridiculous is the fact that overgrowth from both sides of the canal coming into stoke bruerne is disgusting. No provision for alternative 14 day mooring is being provided. As far as I am concerned, Jeff whyatt is unfit for purpose. This whole sevm has probably been one of his wet dreams since youth.

"The area is visited daily by visitor mooring rangers, volunteering on behalf of the Canal & River Trust, who record your boat number. Extended stay charges will be invoiced monthly and recorded on your boat licence account."

Really? Invoiced to my boat licence account?

I do hope that the volunteers will be recording index numbers accurately - one wrong digit and you could end up with a £25 charge you are not liable for.

The should really be logging a description of the boat in my opinion - at least a speeding ticket on the roads can be backed up with a photograph normally.

I do hope that the volunteers will be recording index numbers accurately - one wrong digit and you could end up with a £25 charge you are not liable for.

The should really be logging a description of the boat in my opinion - at least a speeding ticket on the roads can be backed up with a photograph normally.

Any organisation, under the Data Protection Act has to conform to the 8 Data Protection principles (and I think recording a boat number and location is personal - I believe is personal because it can be related back to an individual i.e the data can be linked to an individual on the basis, in this case, of it being recorded on your boat licence account).

The data protection principles are here - http://www.ico.org.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/the_guide/the_principles

Edited by Leo No2

I wonder how long it will be before this crap scheme is extended to cover the long pound below the pub.

As T.D.H. says, what if the unpaid traffic warden gets a number wrong? And I wonder if he/she will turn a blind eye to mates?

eta just found the map - it already does!!

and it looks like they have invented a bridge below lock 20, I thought there was only one.

Edited by Mike Tee

I wonder how long it will be before this crap scheme is extended to cover the long pound below the pub.

As T.D.H. says, what if the unpaid traffic warden gets a number wrong? And I wonder if he/she will turn a blind eye to mates?

eta just found the map - it already does!!

It's utterly ridiculous, I've just had a rant at john dodwell. The overgrowth from kingfisher marina to stoke bruerne takes away the option to moor just before stoke bruerne. So a fact emerges that jeff whyatt is in effect pushing you to keep moving every 48 hrs. Lets face it, the guy is anti ccer. In his eyes, every ccer is an overstayer.

Yes, if he contests that last statement, I can prove it.

They have been introduced to all the other pilot sites as well. Maximum total limits plus individual time limits with no long stay moorings. What I find so sad is that they had an opportunity with the consultation to engage with the boating community and get these volunteers to record usage to get some data to support these changes. In July a peak period one assumes we stopped our full length boat at Marsworth, Foxton and Stoke Breune twice with choice of mooring where is the proof that this is needed. At the most perhaps.for the month of August. I would have supported the changes (not the fine) for a genuine peak period of demand.

If its a charge not a fine when are they going to publish how you pre pay and book a week at Stoke Breune. If its a charge as opposed to a penalty why would it need to be recorded against my licence, how do I pay the volunteer for an extra days stay.

Soon like the Thames this will be run by a car park company £50 charge £25 if paid within 14 days.

I think the busiest period in this area must be the working boat weekend. I know some boats were breasted up but even on that period the long pound was not full, and most other times the most I've seen is five or six boats. And I've never failed to find a mooring between the tunnel and the top lock (excluding the two or three 'gatherings' they have each year).

Whoever is pushing this is incompetant, its restrictions just for the sake of something to do round the office table.

I think the busiest period in this area must be the working boat weekend. I know some boats were breasted up but even on that period the long pound was not full, and most other times the most I've seen is five or six boats. And I've never failed to find a mooring between the tunnel and the top lock (excluding the two or three 'gatherings' they have each year).

Whoever is pushing this is incompetant, its restrictions just for the sake of something to do round the office table.

I think jeff whyatt has his sites set on being head of boating in the future. God forbid!

The words sledgehammer, crack and nut come to mind which is what will happen when the pendulum is fully one way. When it swings back it will go a long way in the opposite direction.

It is important that the new restrictions are monitored and recorded by the boating community and that the same community engage with CRT to review the 'results' of the restrictions. This community seemingly has good relations with CRT through the likes of, for example, Alan Fincher and John Sloan (sorry if I have omitted anyone) so may I suggest that this becomes something that is discussed with them.

One of the things I think has been a bit strange is the dates when the time limits on restrictions may be relaxed. 01-November to the day before Good Friday. Bearing in mind Easter is a movable feast surely the easiest dates to work to (if they must) would be the daylight saving dates which are generally last weekend in October to the last weekend in March - i.e. the winter. It is so easy to 'pick holes' in someone else's work - which is hardly fair.

Edited by Leo No2

As far as I am concerned, Jeff whyatt is unfit for purpose. This whole sevm has probably been one of his wet dreams since youth.

You only just realised this?

I realised on my very first meeting with him a few weeks after he got the job. He is without doubt the worst waterway manager that I have had the displeasure of dealing with.

I think jeff whyatt has his sites set on being head of boating in the future. God forbid!

That is a frightening thought. Edited by Loddon

"Over the last few years, one of the most consistent complaints made to me has been about the congestion at visitor moorings." (Really jeff? Could you give us some evidence please? Turns out he could not, even freedom of information requests stated there were no records of any complaints)

So in the same paragragh, jeff then states

"The mooring rules haven't been reviewed in a long time and after a 40% increase in the last 10 years or so in boat numbers to 35,000, it felt like now was the right time to update the mooring rules at some the most popular sites across the south east."

Then he states

" From the start it was perfectly clear that not all boaters agreed with our plans." (ooops, along with NABO and the RBOA Jeff)

Jeff gaffs?

What is particularly galling is that the new arrangements differ significantly (for the worse) from the agreements which were made at the "consultation".

And you are surprised?

Since when have BWB / BW / CART ever paid anything but lip service to "consultations"

Is the intention of that that no-one will stop at Stoke Bruerne? The £25 sword of Damocles is an incentive not to

Richard

Oh but richard, stoke bruerne is listed as one of their little gems of interest, (just don't stop there with a boat)

Surely this policy is guaranteed to succeed. Under the new arrangements, (hire)boats will stop at Stoke Bruerne, visit the museum, stay the night and then go. No-one will stop for more than 24 hrs, nor stop on a return journey for fear of getting fined

That is the intention - right?

Richard

Surely this policy is guaranteed to succeed. Under the new arrangements, (hire)boats will stop at Stoke Bruerne, visit the museum, stay the night and then go. No-one will stop for more than 24 hrs, nor stop on a return journey for fear of getting fined

That is the intention - right?

Richard

Richard - that's the law of unintended consequence. Say for instance you moor in the Marsworth area and are going to Blisworth Festival. A night or two in Stoke Bruerne sampling the delights of the Spice of Bruerne, the Boat Inn or the Navigation might be in the plan. You might do two of those so stay 48 hours. On the way home you might decide to visit the Canal Museum and the one establishment that you didn't get to. If it is a genuine trip in an opposite direction there's no reason why you shouldn't stay another 24 or 48 hours in my view.

Having come from the Basingstoke and the Wey where none of the Lengthsman/rangers have boating experience so have to be led by the hand on the practicalities of boating (and they are now good at it) I wonder how many of the CRT employees actually understand boating from a practical point-of-view. I suspect the number is very low which is perhaps why Cotswoldman has been encouraging boaters to take CRT employees out. That's a good start if you can do it and are so inclined but I suspect this 'imposition' of these changes perhaps hasn't been thought through and we do end up with the law of unintended consequence.

Edited by Leo No2

I don't like this proposal, and it seems so far, nobody else does. However, no doubt it will be implemented. So my questions are, what training do these volunteer rangers have? Is there a written policy that they adhere to? What is the procedure for appeal against a 'fine'? What proof will the volunteer have to support the 'fine'?

Does anybody out there admit to being a volunteer ranger? Maybe we could hear their side.

Just sent this email to jeff whyatt

Jeff

Coming through cosgrove to stoke bruerne on Teusday has made it clear to me that you are ignoring the safety issue of someone being recovered from the canal should they fall in.

The overgrowth on the towpath side is now out of control. Navigation of this stretch is becoming a challenge.

I also understand that the visitor mooring restrictions are to be implemented from august bank holiday, yet the ability to use a 14 day mooring rather than a vm is being restricted by your negligence to control the overgrowth at Stoke Bruerne.

I find it strange that you find finance to fund implication of sevm, yet "struggle" (in your own words) to find finances to properly maintain the system in a fit state for purpose.

I am finding your ability to prioritise, somewhat baffling, and on occasions, quite bizarre. My personal belief is that you are against ccing.

The fact you are implementing sevm at Stoke Bruerne (still waiting for evidence of complaints etc) without firstly giving an option of 14 day moorings is utterly unacceptable. You are seriously jeopordising any goodwill between boat owners and CRT that has recently been built.

Steve Jay

What is particularly galling is that the new arrangements differ significantly (for the worse) from the agreements which were made at the "consultation".

We are currently at Stoke, but struggling with a hand held device at the moment. Alan says can you please explain briefly how they've modified what they are doing from what was agreed at the workshop.